PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Hole in Leather

dmw16
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
The side of the driver`s side leather seat in my wife`s 2007 VW Beetle has a cut in it from a key. She`s not 100% sure how it happened, but I`d like to get it fixed.

The hole is no larger than the cross-section of the key. When the hole was made it was an in-and-out type thing so it isn`t oversized.

Are there any DIY options? If not, are there professional services that can fix a cut like this?

I doubt getting a new leather seat cover from the dealer would be a cost effective option.

Thanks in advance.

automedix
02-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I actually repaired a hole in a leather seat today. You should be able to call your local dealership, ask for the used car manager, and ask them for the contact info for their "interior guy". Where are you located? If it is a hole about the size of a half dollar or smaller it should be able to be repaired in about an hour.

Roger Koh
02-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Are there any DIY options? If not, are there professional services that can fix a cut like this?

Most professional repairs may look equally good...

The feel may be different when one use too much fillers or stucco...

Those one hour repairs uses heat cure...you can feel the lost of suppleness in the damage... besides the heat dries up the fatliquor that contribute to the leather stiffness...and these repairs at the high used areas with constant compression, stretch and flex cracks sooner than the color wears out...

Those that sand the repair unnecessary flattens the leather grains that looks unnatural...

For a DIY options?

Show us some pictures...and I may show how easily to fix it yourself...that the repair becomes part of the leather.

Depending how skillful you are; this micro repair may look like a healing scar...no sanding required...no heat-cure necessary.

Test out the repair onto a piece of scrape that imitate the actual repair. When natural cured; do a flexing test...and count how many flex you can perform before it begins to give way...a minimum would be a thousand flex...and keep on counting...if you can reach ten thousand...this is the quality of repairs you should be looking at... ````geneously leather repair at its best.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

dmw16
02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will try to get a picture posted.

The upside to this whole thing is that the hole isn`t on the seating surface so the area won`t get "worked" after it`s repaired.