PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and, as my username suggests, I am a Novice Detailer...

Novice Detailer
02-04-2011, 01:55 AM
I`ve searched online and looked at plenty of forums but haven`t quenched my thirst for information on the best way to get rid of swirls on a black car. I recently purchased a 2010 black vehicle that suffered from 8 months of automotive finish abuse. It has its fair share of horrid swirl marks and I have yet to find a way to get rid of them.

I`ve tried Meguiar`s Swirl X, after a clay bar treatment (by hand), with very, very, little results. Before I go ordering everything I see online, I would like to know what you guys think...

Should I order a Porter Cable 7424xp

If so, which polishing agent is best at getting rid of moderate swirls on a black vehicle?

What pad goes best with the PC and the suggested polishing agent?

And finally, which wax is best on a black car?

As a Novice Detailer I would like to know what the pros think. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

BigAl3
02-04-2011, 02:13 AM
:welcome:

pick up the griots garage 6" random orbital (it comes with a lifetime warranty and i would buy it direct so there will be no problems with it`s warranty later down the line), and to start at least with three each of the orange and white flat pads along with a few black as well. the griots comes with a 6" backing plate (you can use 6.5" pads with it), but you may also want to get a 5" and 3.5" DA backing plate as well so you can use 4"-5.5" pads. if you want something OTC that`s a step up from swirlx, pick up the megs ultimate compound and i find that it works well with the DA which is one of it`s intended uses (also by hand as well). megs also just came out with the ultimate polish which would be a good addition to the UC as well...

Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/griot%27s+garage+random+orbital.do)

here`s an e-mail i just got from GG...

We value great customers like you, and every once in awhile we like to show our appreciation with a special reward. So, for a limited time, get a FREE $25 Gift Certificate with any order over $100. Give it to another car care perfectionist, or keep it for yourself and have some fun! Just place your order by 2/10 using Key Code EMXADB. Thank you for your business, and for giving us the opportunity to help you...

BigAl3
02-04-2011, 02:39 AM
you can pick up the pads, DA backing plate, etc, from DI, and check out the promotional codes...

Buffer Pads Products - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffer-Pads-C79/)

Novice Detailer
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the info Big Al! One question, is there a major difference between the PC and the GG orbital you suggested?

BigAl3
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the info Big Al! One question, is there a major difference between the PC and the GG orbital you suggested?

both have been improved, but overall the GG6 is more powerful (can`t go wrong with either, but i would opt for the GG6). the PC has a 3 year warranty and the GG6 has a Lifetime Warranty and has more power as well. get the GG6 and if you don`t like it, you have 180 days (6 months) to return it...

At Griot`s Garage, we want you as a customer for life. Everything you purchase from us comes with a lifetime guarantee against defect. We want you to enjoy our quality products for 180 days and have fun with them! If you don`t like it for any reason during this time, return it for a full refund or credit. After that, you`re covered with our lifetime guarantee against defect, in which we will either repair it, replace it, or credit your purchase price if we are able to do neither. Some items have a life span during normal use and they wear out. Our warranty does not include replacement of such items after normal use. Of course our guarantee doesn`t cover abuse... But you already knew that.

Customers for life. That`s our guarantee.

Novice Detailer
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
SOLD!!!

Boy, I sure am glad I found this forum. I`ve been busy reading all the posts and threads on products and equipment... It sure is a lot of info to take in.

I`m researching Chemical Guys` products because their store is here in Souther California and they seem to have great deals on bulk product.

Thanks again Big Al!

BigAl3
02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I`m researching Chemical Guys` products because their store is here in Souther California and they seem to have great deals on bulk products.

if you are going to buy something in bulk from them, you can`t go wrong with their car washes. citrus wash clear, citrus wash & gloss (basically the same thing as citrus wash clear but with glossing agents) and glossworkz (gentle maintenance shampoo) are all very nice and economical too. pick up a quart (they also come in 8oz size) of M105 and M205 (basically pro versions of ultimate compound and swirlx), you`ll find they are very popular on here and also with many on other detailing discussion forums as well...

Glossequation
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I`ve searched online and looked at plenty of forums but haven`t quenched my thirst for information on the best way to get rid of swirls on a black car. I recently purchased a 2010 black vehicle that suffered from 8 months of automotive finish abuse. It has its fair share of horrid swirl marks and I have yet to find a way to get rid of them.

I`ve tried Meguiar`s Swirl X, after a clay bar treatment (by hand), with very, very, little results. Before I go ordering everything I see online, I would like to know what you guys think...

Should I order a Porter Cable 7424xp

If so, which polishing agent is best at getting rid of moderate swirls on a black vehicle?

What pad goes best with the PC and the suggested polishing agent?

And finally, which wax is best on a black car?

As a Novice Detailer I would like to know what the pros think. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

The $20 buffers at wal mart are fine. Also, get turtle wax rubbing compound to polish and for wax use Rain Dance.

Barry Theal
02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
If your in california why not try some 3D Products?

Novice Detailer
02-11-2011, 11:50 AM
If your in california why not try some 3D Products?

I`ve never heard of the 3D products... I`ll have to look them up.