PDA

View Full Version : Best light to use

Pages : [1] 2

solekeeper
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, would a regular flashlight (halogen) be enough to check my correction work?

Using Handheld Lights for Paint Inspection: Brinkmann LED vs. Xenon – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/using-handheld-lights-for-paint-inspection-brinkmann-led-vs-xenon/)

this article talks about xenon, and led`s.. but these are a bit more expensive than regular halogen flashlights, no?

I do have a small led flashlight, so I could use this i suppose. so which would show defects better, the led or regular halogen?

sparklescarwash
01-30-2011, 10:00 PM
500 whatt halogen work light works best under 30 bucks

Street5927
01-30-2011, 11:04 PM
You can get a decent LED pretty cheap.

Accumulator
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
I find that while hand held lights can be good for certain types of inspections, it`s really almost mandatory to have good lighting that you can work under. For example, while I`ll do a lot of inspecting with the SunGun, it`s much more convenient to have an inspection light that`s showing the flaws while I`m working.

Also, note that the best (i.e., most meticulous/demanding) inspections are done in an otherwise dark environment.

I have the Brinkman and find it pretty marginal (at best) for inspections. Stuff I can see with that is pretty severe and I`m usually looking for stuff that I just don`t see with that light. It`s not about *brightness* but rather *contrast*. the other PC has posted good info explaining how it`s "distant point source illumination" that shows most types of marring the best. And I`ve found that a simple (and fairly dim) 60 watt incandescent lightbulb can show flaws a whole lot better than a lot of fancy lights.

Yeah, I take a Cree-equipped SureFire with me when I`m looking at a potential purchase, but I don`t use my flashlights in the detailing shop.

See if you can find one of the threads where we go into inspection lighting in detail. Fluorescent, incandescent, halogen, natural sunlight, the SunGun....lots of different types of lighting have their uses, but those uses don`t always overlap between the different types of lights.

solekeeper
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
thanks guys.

accum, incandescent means regular yellow halogen?

Accumulator
01-31-2011, 04:12 PM
thanks guys.

accum, incandescent means regular yellow halogen?

No, regular old-fashioned, "normal", screw-in lightbulbs.

E.g., many garages have bare lightbulbs in ceiling-mounted fixtures or inside garage-door openers (take off the plastic lens and you`ll have the bare bulb). These will often show marring (especially in metallic paint) as well as anything and better than most.

I bought a pair of cheapie worklights at Lowes for about $25/each, the kind that take regular lightbulbs (actually I got ones that take high-wattage bulbs like 300w but you don`t really need that). I clamp those onto various things so they`ll illuminate the vehicle I`m correcting in just the right way. Those are often even better than the ones I have hanging over the workbay as I can position them exactly the way I want `em (though figuring out what that is always takes a lot of trial and error).

I first noticed how great these lights are after correcting a car under halogens at my previous shop. I thought I`d spotted, and corrected, *everything* so I waxed it up and drove it home. Pulled it into the garage and glanced at it under the simple ceiling-mounted lightbulbs expecting to see a perfect finish. But no, I immediately saw marring that I`d missed during my oh-so-meticulous inspections at the shop.

It`s not really like these *replace* halogens or anything like that, it`s just that they show things differently. It`s like fluorescents- I`m always saying I don`t see marring under fluorescent light, and that`s generally true...but sometimes that type of light *is* great for some kinds of inspection too. There`s really no "one single answer" to this question of "which light?". But that doesn`t mean that some kinds (like incandescents) aren`t better for spotting "regular swirls" ;)

solekeeper
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
alright, so basically, no need for all of these fancy lights. lol

I have an led flashlight for now, so what I`ll do is.. Correct a small area. And inspect with the light.

Then, take it outside to see the REAL correction? Does that sound good?

D_Nyholm
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Ahh, never thought about the drop lights with clamps!! I`m putting my halogens on shelves, on top of tires, anything, in order to get them to the right height. I bet the drop light with clamps will make my life SO much easier for detailing, and will be useful when i work on the car!! Can`t believe i never thought of them before!

Accumulator
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
solekeeper- I dunno, that sounds like a huge hassle to me, but if it works for you then that`s what counts. I want to do the work under lighting that lets me see the flaws, even if I need something else to *initially locate* said flaws. Like this:

-panel looks OK until you do an inspection with [whatever], preferably with the other lights in the shop turned off.

-As soon as you spot a flaw, put a tiny dab of some mild polish on it (mild polish so it won`t cause issues if it dries while you`re getting ready to do the correctin).

-Turn on halogens/whatever to provide enough light do work under.

-Spot flaw by the indicator-dab of polish. Check it out until you can see the flaw itself under your "working lights".

-Do correction until the flaw appears to be gone.

-Repeat the "special lighting" inspection.

D_Nyholm- Yeah, though the positioning *can* be a huge PIA to get just right, having lights that do more than just swivel and do up/down can make it easier. I have some HVAC vents in the ceiling and I`ll clamp the lights to those, and my wiring conduits, and...well, all sorts of things.

This all probably sounds like I don`t appreciate my tripod-base halogens but that`s not really the case; I just recognize their limitations. And I`ve found that I need to work a little harder at this whole "inspection lighting" thing since my most recent LASIK tweak, others might do fine without half the stuff I have to do.

solekeeper
02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
accum, yea you`re right. i tired it today.

Good thing about today`s project is that i had a spare hood (black of course) so i was practicing correction. Checked under led light, then shifted hood into the sun to see my work. I know this isn`t the way it will always be, but it was fun seeing the different lights and what they show.

Do you have experience wet-sanding accumulator?

Accumulator
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
...Do you have experience wet-sanding accumulator?

Minimal. Generally just touchups and RIDS (FWIW, besides speeding things up, I think it can be a *safer* means of dealing with RIDS than just getting all aggressive with a buffer).

amcdonal86
02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Hm.... this is probably the last thing I need to get before I try polishing the Jag with the new Flex I got this week. I will be working outside (away from trees, etc.).

Somebody in another thread (maybe this one, too) recommended a good LED flashlight. Is that really all you need? Because I have a ton of them.

Accumulator
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
amcdonald96- Since you have the LED lights, try `em out and see if they work for *you*. I use my LED lights to inspect potential used-car purchases, but I don`t use them when detailing....but that`s just me and you might be different.

amcdonal86
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I am just wondering how even something like direct sunlight is effective, because at around noon today, looking at my hood, all I could see were some light RIDS, no swirls. I`m pretty sure under other lighting conditions, I can see swirls, though. Or maybe I`m just crazy!

Accumulator
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
amcdonald86- Heh heh, maybe we`re *all* crazy to even concern ourselves with such stuff ;)

But yeah...IMO it just gets back to what I`m always saying about inspection lighting- no one type is best for all purposes.