PDA

View Full Version : Any Detail Spray that wont Freeze?

imported_detail1
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I live in New York and its been quite COLD this winter. In my trunk, I keep a bag of supplies such as MF towels, detail spray, window cleaner, leather cleaner/conditioner/dash protectant/alcohol/etc

Lately I ve removed everything from the trunk EXCEPT for the alcohol and towels bc its about the only product that doesnt freeze.

I would lkie to keep a detail spray inside the trunk for bird bombs.

I guess I could use alcohol and keep a small jar of paste wax but detail spray is easier

Is there any detail spray that wont freeze?

Thanks

QWQW
01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Good story!

Thank you for sharing, I will always remember.

JohnKleven
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Nanoskin Vitality might work well for you as it is in an aerosol can.

imported_detail1
01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Nanoskin Vitality might work well for you as it is in an aerosol can.

How do u know that it doesnt freeze?

Vitaltiy is a spray wax. Smooth is a detail spray.

David Fermani
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Check out this thread. Marc used some kind of spray in freezing temps. Maybe it will work for you?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/133864-how-properly-wash-your-car-cold-weather.html

sparklingdetail
01-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I am not sure but "Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba" works for you.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Detail Spray - Page 2 - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/26642-pinnacle-crystal-mist-carnauba-detail-spray-2.html)

You can also use Adams Detail Spray as they have mentioned that "it can be used in hot or cold weather in their product description.

Adams Detail Spray - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Paints-Finishing/Part-Type/Waxes/In-Stock/Yes/Product-Line/Adams-Detail-Spray/?autoview=SKU)

Old Pirate
01-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Just about any detail spray will work in cold weather, but when the temps drop to freezing then that`s another story. Don`t think there`s one out there like that, or maybe adding some type of additive to it will help.

Lonnie
01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Try this trick when using a quick detailer in below freezing weather:

Heat up some water in the microwave in a Pyrex 1-quart measuring cup: about 3-4 minutes. This will get the water boiling or very close to boiling. Place your favorite QD in a 5-quart pail and pour the heated water into bucket, surrounding the QD bottle. Take it outside and use it on your car in below freezing weather. You will need to return the QD back to the hot water to reheat the QD (obviously) but it will help in evaporating the QD solution when sprayed onto a car surface in colder weather. This only works if the temperature is above 18F. If it`s colder than this (including wind-chill indexes), the finer spray from most QD`s freeze too quickly before they can be wiped off. You may want to do this at home or in an apartment parking lot after your run your car through a TOUCHLESS car wash and could not take the time to WWMF the car dry after going through the blower-section at the end of the wash tunnel.

Oh ya, get some rubber gloves: Hot water can scald your hands if you`re not careful and it prevents chapping of the hands out in the cold weather.

Adam's Polishes
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I appreciate the nod, but unfortunately our spray is subject to freezing just as pretty much any similar chemical will be. We`re fighting the weather right now too... the warehouse is in Boulder CO and shipping anything out with these negative overnight temps is tricky right now.

It would be a very niche product, but I wonder what it would take to make an effective QD spray that you could leave in your car w/o fear of freezing?? Hmmmmm.

I know adding a little alcohol to the washer fluid tank helps prevent freezing, but the effect on how a QD would perform would be up for debate. Might be worth a try if you have some spare product around mixing in varying ratios of alcohol and leaving them out to see at what ratio the freezing is prevented and working from the other direction at what point it doesn`t have a negative impact on performance.