PDA

View Full Version : Should I use Dry Blade?

Pages : [1] 2

reyo
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Would anyone recommend this product?

Water Blade | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/WashUtilityBrushes/PRD~0398101P/Water%252BBlade/CROSSSELL~0398105%20California%2BDry%2BBlade.jsp?l ocale=en)

It`s not cheap, but if it`s effective I think it`s worth it.

Anyone had any experience with it? Does it scratch? The reviews on CT website are all good, but then again, CT is full of noobies (like me XD)

I plan on buying a pressure washer soon so that will get more dirt off the car, so maybe scratching won`t become a problem?

Matt_H
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
If you use one you better be damn sure theres no dirt left on the paint because just think of it as dragging across dirt on your paint and it will scratch, theres many other cheaper and effective ways of drying your car check out the most recent thread on how to properly dry your car.

reyo
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks. That`s why I want to buy a pressure washer as I figured that would get more dirt off. I really hate towel-drying, that is why I looked into this.

imported_dirtdiggler
01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Better to spend your money on an electric leaf blower and fluffy MF. Those things are only good for windows..

imported_Ivan Rajic
01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Better to spend your money on an electric leaf blower and fluffy MF. Those things are only good for windows..

I agree. In theory it`s a great tool and I have used it myself plenty of times. However I`ve simply stopped using it as I decided the risk isn`t really worth the reward.

reyo
01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I`ve heard that Waffle Weave are good for drying, maybe I should try it.

Also, what about this product if anybody knows "Cookie Monster Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel"

Is this a type of "fluffy MF" that you mentioned?

If so, which would be better (since I can get both at the same price)...waffle weave vs. plush MF

Jpostal
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I use a California Water Blade on almost every vehicle for windows only, but on occassion (depending on the car) I will even use it to squeegee off 80% of the car. When I do use it I wipe the blade with a cloth after each pass to make sure there are no little pieces of dirt on the blade. I have had a couple bad experiences with it (scratching) which is why I do not use it very often on paint.

reyo
01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
I use a California Water Blade on almost every vehicle for windows only, but on occassion (depending on the car) I will even use it to squeegee off 80% of the car. When I do use it I wipe the blade with a cloth after each pass to make sure there are no little pieces of dirt on the blade. I have had a couple bad experiences with it (scratching) which is why I do not use it very often on paint.

Then I guess it`s just another one of those false advertisement from the manufacturer...."will not scratch" ... pffft right..

reyo
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM

I`ve heard that Waffle Weave are good for drying, maybe I should try it.

Also, what about this product if anybody knows "Cookie Monster Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel"

Is this a type of "fluffy MF" that you mentioned?

If so, which would be better (since I can get both at the same price)...waffle weave vs. plush MF

-----

I actually have a leaf blower at home, but I think it`s too weak as I`ve tried it and it wasn`t that effective....

imported_dirtdiggler
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
You can experiment with the leaf blower nozzle. You can either heat up the nozzle and form it to a smaller opening or duct tape. One advice is to tape the edges of the LB nozzle just in case you accidentally contact the paint. Actually once your car is waxed, leaf blower will move the water easier. The Cali Blade i guess works, but there are times when debris will fall on the surface and lodge between the paint and blade and from there its too late..

slick61
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I`d think you could make the argument that anything that falls on the paint whilst drying could get dragged around, whether you use the blade or a towel/chamois/microfiber/waffleweave...

I use a waterblade to remove the worst of the standing water, then follow with "The Absorber", and occasionally with a waffleweave.

I`ve had no issues with scratching from the blade... more likely to get scratches/swirls from contaminants trapped in the wash mitt/sponge. Just gotta be careful no matter WHAT you use...

Anyhow, that`s my 2 cents worth...

imported_Ivan Rajic
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I`d think you could make the argument that anything that falls on the paint whilst drying could get dragged around, whether you use the blade or a towel/chamois/microfiber/waffleweave...

I use a waterblade to remove the worst of the standing water, then follow with "The Absorber", and occasionally with a waffleweave.

I`ve had no issues with scratching from the blade... more likely to get scratches/swirls from contaminants trapped in the wash mitt/sponge. Just gotta be careful no matter WHAT you use...

Anyhow, that`s my 2 cents worth...

The difference between the two is that with the blade there`s absolutely no give if something gets trapped, so it`s going only into the paint. With the m/f towel, ww or regular, it`s going at least partly if not mostly into the towel so the scratch will either not appear or be extremely light, especially to the scratch created by the water blade. As for the mitt/sponge, I believe the same thing will happen and there`s no way it`s more likely to scratch paint with a mitt than the blade if both are used on the same exact surface.

Accumulator
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Then I guess it`s just another one of those false advertisement from the manufacturer...."will not scratch" ... pffft right..

The blade itself won`t mar, but sooner or later you`ll get a speck of something between it and the paint and *that* will scratch. Heh heh, if *I* couldn`t avoid it I can`t imagine anybody can (regulars here know what I mean about *my* washes and residual dirt ;) ). I did get by for a long, long time before it happened though and I don`t mean just a few dozen washes. Still, it`ll leave the kind of marring that I consider unacceptable. "Unacceptable" because that thing sorta requires the sort of long sweeping motions that I don`t advocate anyhow :nono

Dubbin1
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Flood rinse then dab up whats little left with a quality WW towel.

Accumulator
01-22-2011, 01:19 PM
The difference between the two is that with the blade there`s absolutely no give if something gets trapped...

Right. Plus, with the blade there`s no effective way to keep the drying motions short and interrupted, so any marring that does result is likely to be long enough to be pretty obvious. Sorta the exact opposite end of the spectrum from what goes on when you blot.