PDA

View Full Version : How to Properly Wash Your Car in Cold Weather

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MarcHarris
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
There have been a lot of questions about this during these colder months, so I made a video to show how it can be done. I think the video answers most questions, but feel free to discuss your own findings / tips as well :)

Don`t forget to watch it in HD ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtnRoiIRRI

AeroCleanse
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Seems like a lot of work when you could use hot water and ONR (if you have a garage anyway)

SilverCivic
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
And as soon as you drive back home you have to do it all over again.

RaskyR1
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
That`s one heck of a video Marc! Great quality and well done! Props!

Sucks to be you though because my local coin opps are enclosed and heated, plus they have card slots so you don`t need coins. hahaha :D

Cheers,

Rasky

stotte20
01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
all the wash bays in my area like that wont let you do a wash like that. i was told to leave after sparying wheel cleaner on my wheels one time. owner said i was wasting peoples time wating to use the bay. but great video. May i ask why you dident use onr? instead of the regualer wash?

imported_ZimRandy
01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
That`s one heck of a video Marc! Great quality and well done! Props!

Sucks to be you though because my local coin opps are enclosed and heated, plus they have card slots so you don`t need coins. hahaha :D

Cheers,

Rasky

No kidding! I couldn`t imagine doing that without having a closed stall to wash in. (They don`t take credit cards up here in my neck of the woods, though)

Cool vid.

Randy

tom p.
01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
all the wash bays in my area like that wont let you do a wash like that.

That`s the case at most of these facilities and they typically have signs posted saying such. I think you`ve got to get to one of these spray booths during off hours. Otherwise people waiting and mgmt are going to b|tch about the hand-washing, which I can understand. If you are the only person there, I don`t think you will get hassled.

rdorman
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I scuba dive so when washing in the cold, I wear my three mill dive gloves. Great dexterity and keep my hands toasty warm.

RaskyR1
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
all the wash bays in my area like that wont let you do a wash like that. i was told to leave after sparying wheel cleaner on my wheels one time. owner said i was wasting peoples time wating to use the bay. but great video. May i ask why you dident use onr? instead of the regualer wash?

That`s why you go late at night or very early in the morning. I doubt any owner will tell you to leave if it`s not during core hours. Making $4-6 off of you is better than nothing. However, if there is someone waiting behind you, then the owner is loosing money as a result of you being there.

I actually had the owner talk to me for a while once...he was cleaning bays late at night and asked me why I chose to bucket wash. After talking for a while he asked for my card as he thought he could get me some work. ;)

Be polite and respect them and there should be no problems.

Rasky

imported_dfazekas
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Great video man.

How`s the CQuartz holding up on the saab?

Have you noticed any difference in cleanability?

AlexRuiz
01-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Amazing video Marc!

I had already tried something similar before (just one bucket and no wheels though, so not really properly done) and it was a lot of additional effort. I can imagine how much harder doing it *properly* would be! Oh, and your car looks incredible!

I found that as long as you are moving fast, spraying water, and NOT too cold there won`t be ice... You made an excellent point about "not too cold". I had the audacity to once rinse the car at the coin op when the temp was only 12 F. I barely had time to open the doors, trunk and start driving before the water froze.... :o

I so wish I had a heated garage.

Street5927
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Luckily I only live 2 minutes from a coin-op. It was 26 degrees today, and the roads were dry (eventhough there is still snow on the ground). I just run it through there for $2.00 to get most of the stuff off, come home, park in the garage, shut the door and do an ONR wash. It was a nice 47 degrees in the garage today. I even went as far as doing a quick topper of Dodo Juice Double Wax and dressed the tires with Optimim Tire Gel. It is snowing now....6" expected overnight, so no driving the car for a few days....time to fire the truck back up!

David Fermani
01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Great video!!! I wish you`d do more of them. Is this the Coin-Op on 9 Mile? Any reason why you didn`t use the glaze/sealant from the wash? It will make the surface bead and help with drying. Plus give it a shinier look with a touch of protection.

tssdetailing
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
LMFAO @ seatbelting the buckets...that was epic!

Seems like a lot of work when you could use hot water and ONR (if you have a garage anyway)

because ONR can`t get into the nooks and crannys or wheel wells like a blast from a PW can.

lbcsublime9
01-21-2011, 12:12 AM
too much work, didnt look like your soap was sudsing up too well either.

i just get 2 hot buckets and a foam gun. wash it, rinse, wash it quickly again and rinse, pull into garage and dry it off.

i cant wait until spring.