PDA

View Full Version : Spilled COFFEE in INTERIOR....

Pages : [1] 2

melissa809
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone......getting out of my car today...while wearing my big and bulky goose down coat..and I accidentally knocked over my cup of black french vanilla coffee with 4 splendas!! lol.

Anyways, I sopped up what I could, but unfortunately I even managed to get some coffee INTO the seat belt buckle. ANyways, I wiped everything down with a damp cloth and even unbolted my front seat to wipe up any excess under the brackets that mount the seat to the floor.

Well, the smell of French Vanilla coffee in the car irritates the crap out of me. And although my seat belt sensor is working fine, the thought that there is coffee inside of the damned thing irritates me as well.

Any thoughts/advice on how to properly clean the car? So you guys know, I have a Bissell pro heat steam cleaner and my Dad has the Bissell green machine.

I`m assuming I should detach the front seat and steam clean the carpet?? But what about that damned seat belt buckle???/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Melissa

sparklescarwash
01-17-2011, 10:13 PM
spray light cleaner in seatbelt buckel agate with paint brush then take compresed air blow dry

Accumulator
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
melissa809- Maybe this stuff would help: Coffee Stain Remover (http://www.topoftheline.com/spotlifter.html)

Note that it can`t be shipped to a lot of places, but I bet somebody here would help you out if necessary.

AeroCleanse
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Use Folex, works great.

jbdetailing
01-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Depending on the type of car the seat belt buckle should snap apart into two pieces. You can pry the plastic casing on the buckle off with a flat head screw driver( just be careful not to scratch it or pry to hard and snap the plastic. Then you can get access to the mechanism to clean it. Coffee comes easily off carpets with any detergent and water.

melissa809
01-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Wow, thanks guys! I use folex on my carpet at home. Do you think it would be a better idea to go ahead and use my Bissel carpet cleaning machine? Thanks also for the info on the seat belt buckle! And thank you, also, Accumulator! Your advice on my rail dust issue in the past worked great!

Accumulator
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
.. Coffee comes easily off carpets with any detergent and water.

Well, I wouldn`t go that far. I`ve had coffee stains that simply would not come out of light colored carpet no matter what I tried, including pro products designed for the job.

jbdetailing
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Sometimes coffe can stain if it is left there for an extended period of time, especially when other dirt and soil is mixed in with it, but if you clean up the stains before they set it usually will come off with most all purpose cleaners.

melissa809
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, I just wiped the area with a damp microfiber. My interior is charcoal so you can`t see the coffee spill. My issue is the smell! lol It was French Vanilla, black, though. But also, I don`t like the idea of the carpet being dirty, ya know? I plan on unbolting the seat and hitting the area with my bissell carpet cleaning machine and calling it a day. That should be sufficient, no??? I also have to get the seat belt buckle opened because coffee spilled down there as well.

Guess I should look on the bright side and be happy that there was no milk or sugar in the coffee...just splenda, lol.

I also checked to make sure no coffee got UNDER the carpet where the bolts for the seats are. I kind of stuck a piece of sham-wow under there and it came up dry....so I guess I`m okay there, too.

AeroCleanse
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
I would use a steamer, but then I have one to use :-)

Accumulator
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
melissa809- I would expect your plan (remove seat, use Bissell) to work fine, at least if you use the right cleaner with the Bissell and rinse things thoroughly.

IF you can`t get the buckle apart, I wonder about just soaking it in a containter of solution and then rinsing and *drying* it thoroughly. I`d be a little concerned about rust/corrosion, but it might be OK if you dry it out quickly.

Aerocleanse- I dunno if I`d use my steamer for this one...I`d want to suck up the stuff to really draw it out of there :think: Eh, I never seem to reach for the steamer as readily as many people :nixweiss

Street5927
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
If you have an old credit card, store card, etc., cut it to the width of where the belt buckle fits in. Then, using a thin cloth (such as a tac cloth), wrap it around the card once, spray a little cleaner onto it, and insert it to clean. You may need several cloths until it comes completely clean. What is nice, is a credit card is a solid piece and should not get hung up inside on the clasp at all.

Accumulator
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Street5927- Hey, that`s a great idea! Seems obvious now that you mentioned it, but it sure didn`t occur to me before that :grinno:

melissa809
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks! I actually used a paper towel to clean the buckle like that, and DUH....some got stuck inside....

Accumulator
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
melissa809- Don`t feel dumb, I`ve had foam swab heads pull off in inaccessible places...talk about how to change your plans for the day :o