PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fight rust blooms?

Toadvine
01-17-2011, 01:44 AM
So we have had two big snow storms in my area. After the first I gave the car a nice hand wash and while washing the lower half of the car notice rust blooms everywhere. So I clay them off and reapply fk1000. How can I prevent more from forming or am I pissing in the wind?

RaskyR1
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
So we have had two big snow storms in my area. After the first I gave the car a nice hand wash and while washing the lower half of the car notice rust blooms everywhere. So I clay them off and reapply fk1000. How can I prevent more from forming or am I pissing in the wind?

IronX (http://www.aquartz.net/iron-cut.html) :)

10 character

2005GTPinMD
01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I would second iron-x or a contaminant removal system such as the one offered by Finish Kare.

Accumulator
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
If they`re *new* rust-blooms, from new ferrous contamination, then claying `em away is sufficient. With luck, you`ll just be claying them off/out of your LSP. I deal with this all the time in the winter and just use Sonus green clay as gently as possible.

BUT if they`re old, recurring rust-blooms that they clay can`t completely remedy, then yeah...you need an acidic decontamination. And if they`re too firmly established you might not ever get rid of them 100%.

Toadvine
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. I am thinking that it`s mostly filings off of the snowplow blades. Cause I`ve had the car for six months and it wasn`t til the salt and slush that they started to show up.