PDA

View Full Version : New car has swirls. Need a little advice.

waltj2k
02-05-2006, 11:42 PM
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Black Camry. The car was detailed by the dealer and I thought that they did a good job.

I washed the car today and noticed there are swirl marks on the roof. The top of the right rear door almost looks etched. Looks like the car wasn`t completely clean and then someone used a buffer.

I can tell the car has been wax as water beads very well.

Since I don`t know what products were used to detail the car what should I do to take the swirls out and begin my protection regimen?

Walt

Jngrbrdman
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
You`ll need a polisher to take the swirls out. I suppose you could give it a shot by hand, but be prepared for a lot of work. The physical effort needed to generate the speed and heat to break down polishes is pretty rough. Even experienced detailers don`t do it. Its hard enough to remove swirls with a machine.

More than likely what the dealership did was to cover the car in an oily glaze that hid the swirls for a time. Then as the oils have evaporated the swirls came back. It is a pretty common practice among dealership detailer hacks. You could take the car back to them and ask for them to actually remove the swirls this time, but that will likely just result in more damage considering they didn`t know how to effectively remove them the first time.

My suggestion is to get a Porter Cable 7424 and some polish and do the job yourself. Don`t waste time with el cheapo buffers from WalMart. They are for waxing and won`t get rid of your swirls. Get the PC and you`ll never turn back. Do some more reading here too. There is tons of information on how to remove swirls and clean up your car so it looks new.

waltj2k
02-06-2006, 01:45 AM
More than likely what the dealership did was to cover the car in an oily glaze that hid the swirls for a time. Then as the oils have evaporated the swirls came back. It is a pretty common practice among dealership detailer hacks.

My suggestion is to get a Porter Cable 7424 and some polish and do the job yourself. Don`t waste time with el cheapo buffers from WalMart. They are for waxing and won`t get rid of your swirls. Get the PC and you`ll never turn back. Do some more reading here too. There is tons of information on how to remove swirls and clean up your car so it looks new.

The oily residue thing may be true. I have begun to notice a few more scratches on the car that I hadn`t noticed before.

I will have to make a porter cable investment at sometime in the future. I have an Orbital Waxer but I know that it isn`t intended to take out swirls. However the budget isnt going to allow that to happen for a little while.

In the mean time, Would you just start anew. Wash the car with a little Dawn to remove whatever is on there. Then bust out the Klasse and UPP?

Lwnwookie
02-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Dude, I had the same thing happen on my new truck but mine doesn`t sound as bad. Mine just look like big spider webs the shine in the sunlight. I am gonna get me a PC, but I`ve heard you can really screw up a car with it. Think I am gonna learn to use it on my sisters car first...

joe.p
02-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Dude, I had the same thing happen on my new truck but mine doesn`t sound as bad. Mine just look like big spider webs the shine in the sunlight. I am gonna get me a PC, but I`ve heard you can really screw up a car with it. Think I am gonna learn to use it on my sisters car first...
You might be able to some damage with a PC but it is unlikely, unless your using the wrong pads with an aggressive polish.I think you might be reffering to a rotary Dewalt,Makita,Hitachi these are machines that run at high RPMs and will cause damage to your paint and trim when used improperly.

97F1504x4
02-06-2006, 07:48 PM
You might be able to some damage with a PC but it is unlikely, unless your using the wrong pads with an aggressive polish.I think you might be reffering to a rotary Dewalt,Makita,Hitachi these are machines that run at high RPMs and will cause damage to your paint and trim when used improperly.

I agree with Joe it is pretty hard to screw things up with the PC unless you are just clueless about it and the product and materials used with it. And with this forum you will have no problem getting just about any of your questions answered prior to beginning.

Richard