PDA

View Full Version : Jet Black BMW

Gusterson21
01-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Newbie here. Just purchased a Jet Black x5 BMW. Damage is done, so, on to how to manage it. Never detailed a vehicle before but have been reading as much as possible on this site. Seeing as the car is brand new what would some of your first steps be and which products would you use? There seems to already be some marring and slight swirls in a few spots. Where should I start? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks`

imported_pdsterns
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Start with an ONR wash and then clay it.

Gusterson21
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I have an idea of what I want to do based on research found on this site. This will be my first time polishing/waxing of any kind, let alone using a DA. Here is what I have in mind:

1. Presoak with ONR and then an ONR wash.

2. Clay(also first time for this) using Griots clay bar, already purchased, using ONR as clay lube.

3. Quick spray of Griots Speed shine to clean up residue from clay.

4. Polish(two options based on research here) a. Menzerna Intensive polish with ____ color pad followed by Menzerna Final Polish II with ___ color pad. Both using the DA. b. Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. I believe you use both of these by hand, but I`m not sure.

Between coats I would lay quick layer of speed shine to help remove residue.

5. LSP= Have no idea, only recommendation I got was FinishKare 1000P because it cleans up easy.

That`s all I had planned. Any advice on if I should use a DA or just by hand being my first time. I want very low risk products that are fool proof for a newbie.

Again this is a brand new Jet Black BMW so the marring and such is fairly minimal I believe. There just needs to be some sort of protection on it. Is my thinking off?

Thomas Dekany
01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
FK1 #1000 is an excellent lsp and is very durable. Have you had a chance to put some proper lighting on it to see the condition of the paint?

I would be surprised if your Jet Black only had minimal marring. If it is glazed up, once the paint is clean you`ll see how the paint is. Claying will also chew up that paint so don`t be too worried.

As always, if you care about the finish on your car, return the Jet Black X5 and get a light colored one, or at least a Sapphire Black one. :)

However, I know that will not happen, so just be aware that you have to live with imperfections with that color.

Polishing - use menzerna, and of course use a DA.

Good luck. Make sure to post pictures while detailing.

Beautiful car BTW.

DM101
01-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Clay first,then Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83 folowed by PO85RD. Then your LSP. I like HD Poxy or Blackfire Wet Diamond as a sealant. After these steps you should have a awesome ride. PS If you want to wax Pinnacle Souveran is my choice.