PDA

View Full Version : Two mitt car wash...

G37
01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
I am washing using the two bucket method but using two mitts..How many of you use two mitts? I wash using a sheepswool mitt so if i used two mitts I would use another sheepswool mitt for the bottom lower pannels of the car and how do you not get them mixed up if the mitts are the same??

imported_DJ Mayo
01-12-2011, 12:43 AM
I only use one sheepskin mitt and use a grout sponge for lower areas, bumpers, etc if need be. If I were to use two sheepskin mitts, I would use one with thumb, one without to keep them separate.

Innovative Detailing
01-12-2011, 12:48 AM
We use 2 grout sponges, one in each hand for all upper and lower painted surfaces, then a designated sponge or mitt just for under rockers, lowers on bumpers and on wheel well edges and mud flaps.....We NEVER use mitts on paintwork!

imported_Ivan Rajic
01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I use two mitts top to bottom just to accelerate the process. Use one mitt on half roof, throw in rinse bucket, use other mitt on other half, throw in rinse bucket, rinse roof, rinse out both mitts in rinse bucket and with hose pressure, throw both in wash bucket and repeat. If the vehicle has a lot of buildup, dirt, bugs, etc. on the lower panels I will usually have a 3rd bucket just for these areas and I will use the same soap and mitt but add in a bit of Total Auto Wash into the mix. If the buildup is really bad I`ll pre-treat the area by spraying on TAW then proceeding with the 3rd bucket wash.

Accumulator
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I use at least two mitts per wash, but a) only one at a time as I`m holding the mitt shut at the cuff and have the foamgun in my other hand and b) I don`t differentiate between "upper and lower" section applications.

Using more than one mitt makes it easy to work quickly as I can have mitts ready and waiting in the shampoo bucket, I just toss the old one in the rinse bucket and grab another one and keep working until it`s convenient to stop and agitate/etc. the ones in the rinse buckets before transferring them back to the shampoo bucket.

I do choose between different types of sheepskin (and MF) mitts depending on the job. Some are "spun", very "fuzzy" and others are more like "linger, straighter hair" in the long-nap sense. The former are softer but more likely to retain any contamination while the latter, while plenty soft enough, are a little more aggressive and rinse clean easier.

Note that I use other methods, including my BHBs, to get all the "big stuff" off, so it`s not like my mitts get contaminated very often; by the time I switch from BHBs to mitts things are basically pretty clean. But if there`s even a *remote* chance that a mitt is contaminated, I retire that mitt and thorougly clean it later. Most of the time, the mitts going into my rinse buckets aren`t actually *soiled* and if my rinse water ends up very dirty then, given my wash regimen, it means I did something wrong.