PDA

View Full Version : is leather repair & dying a DIY job?

jupiter
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
My driver`s side leather seat has some wear on the outside edge. I`d like to restore it and re-dye it (just the worn area not the entire seat). I wasn`t able to find any spare leather under the seat to cut out and send for a custom color match, and the online stores don`t sell this mfr`s color (they only have certain mfr codes in stock). So I`d have to buy a few colors and match myself.

Is this worth doing or should I take it to a pro?

Roger Koh
01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Here are a few tips to ponder:

Leather has some wear on the outside edge...

The main cause to the wear is abrasion; to reduce wear, a “rub-resistant” protector is highly recommended on a routine basis to lubricate against friction rub.

I’d like to restore it...

First is restoring the leather structure prior to refinishing (pigment and top coating) it.

It’s best to hydrate and fatliquor it to return the leather with softness, strength and suppleness – a healthy leather has a moisture content up to 15% and mainly contributed by fatliquor; the life-blood of leather.

If the leather is overstretched, then impregnating it will tie-up the loose fibers; impregnator seals, strengthen and even out uneven absorption to reduce pigment thickness from cracking.

A leather adhesor will ensure that the color finish will not peel and able to pass a 2” scotch tape pull test.

So I`d have to buy a few colors and match myself...

Show us some pictures of the color and we will be able to help you match it by: Hue, Tint, Tone, Intensity or Value.

Besides matching urethane topcoats are available in matte, satin and gloss.

If you can follow instruction – then it’s worth doing it yourself.

And if you are color blind – then you need a color pro to match-up and feather-out.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

archebald23
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes. You can do it yourself. Do you know the dynamix product. You can first sand the tatty area down with 800-grit sandpaper then apply the filler then dry the filler with hairdryer after drying sand it again and then apply the dye with a small sponge rollerbrush after that here is the before and after. http://i34.tinypic.com/kd62rk.jpg. You don`t need to send it for auto repair (http://www.automd.com/) you can just do it by yourself.