PDA

View Full Version : Sanding and polishing cheap single stage paint job?

LionelHutz
01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I have a 1975 BMW 2002 that the previous owner had resprayed by a Maaco or similar paint shop shortly before I bought it. Paint quality is pretty mediocre throughout: seems uneven with a few patches of severe orange peel. I`m thinking about wetsanding the paint, but given the overall bad quality of the paint job I`m worried that I might make it even worse by burning through thin spots or causing the paint to crack at the fenders, etc. Can anybody chime in with their experience on sand/polish jobs on cheap single-stage paint?

http://girasole.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-2002/DSC4771/1028950785_PRhmr-L.jpg

RaskyR1
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Without knowing how much paint you have to work with it`s a gamble. One I`d pass on unless the owner knows the risks and is willing to take them at his expense.

How experienced are you in wet sanding? That would make a huge difference too...

Accumulator
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
LionelHutz- Some cheap enamels do *NOT* respond well to abrasion. If you mess with the top of the build-film too much you can never bring the paint back. No, that`s not all that common, but it`s not unheard of (gee, guess how *I* first found out :o ).

And just generally, I wouldn`t wetsand a "mystery paintjob" since you just don`t know what`s likely to happen. Even ETG readings might not give you enough info to work with. I`d stick with the "first, do no harm" approach.

But that`s just me and some people (hey Barry.....) might go ahead and really cut on it.

LionelHutz
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys, especially about cheap enamels and possible problems with abrasives. Is the same problem present with moderate cutting compounds? I.e., should I just never bother with correcting the paint on this car?

Accumulator
01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys, especially about cheap enamels and possible problems with abrasives. Is the same problem present with moderate cutting compounds? I.e., should I just never bother with correcting the paint on this car?

Yeah, it`s like once you "dull" the finish by abrading it, you just can`t bring it back the way you normally can. Eh, I don`t want to make you all paranoid about it...most likely that big [mess]-up not gonna happen with mild compounds. But I`d sure try a test spot somewhere that doesn`t show just to make sure.

I myself would try Optimum`s Spray Compound, with a pretty gentle application medium. That stuff is more like a "super swirlmark remover" when used gently so it`d be a fairly safe (and very user-friendly) way to try some correction.

Just don`t try to fix the orangepeel until you`re *certain* the paint will come back...and check your crystal ball to see if you have enough paint to do that anyhow. (Translation: I myself would live with the orangepeel ;) )