PDA

View Full Version : restoration, reconditioning, detailing

Barry Theal
01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
As I sit here and read threw forum posts, often I see people say the phrases restoration detail, Then others call it detailing, and some call it reconditioning. In general, coming from my experience a detail is a simple wash, wax, interior cleaning and some other basics. At what what point do we as detailers begin to over hype ourselves. I am guilty of this. The term restoration detail really begins to rattle my bones a little. When I think restoration. I imagine a body shop over haul. Something that simply can`t be done by any detailer no matter how good you are. Its just not a task for the detailer. Thats what comes to mind when I see people type Restoration.

When I think reconditioning. That what I think of as an autopian type detail. I`m talking a complete reconditioning of all exterior and interior surfaces of a car. Think about it for a second. No matter how bad leather is your not restoring it, your reconditioning back to its original state. The same with paint, you correct it, enhance it, and protect it. Your not restoring paint. Your reconditioning it back to the state it should be. Now I understand some details are crazy in depth stuff, I`ve seen and done them. In the end no matter how long it takes or how much is involved are we restoring stuff or reconditioning it. I thought this would make a great thread with many great replies. So what are your thoughts?

kakeuter
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I believe, in our line of work, "recondition" would be a more accurate term. Having so many detailers with diverse backgrounds (culture, language and geographic location) I could see how different terms may be used to express the same (or similar) meaning.

Given the definition of both terms, I could see how they may be used in the same context.

Restore - return to its original or usable and functioning condition; regenerate; give or bring back

Recondition - bring into an improved condition ;To restore to good condition, especially by repairing, renovating, or rebuilding

shirtman
01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree Kakeuter (or is it Webster that I am agreeing with :ohwell:) to a degree. In automotive parlance, restoration typically involves potential cutting or sandblasting, welding, rebuilding, and usually some level of repainting to return the target vehicle to as close to original as possible. When I think detailing, I think reconditioning. You are starting with a deteriorated state, and improving upon it. You may improve certain aspects of the car to "better than new" condition by leveling orange peel`ed paint to lower than factory levels and polishing beyond factory standards. I would still consider that a reconditioning, and not restoration. You are improving the vehicle to a higher level, but are not typcially aiming at factory levels (as they are sometimes lower than you ultimately want).

Again, in our context, I think restoration means rebuilding - whether that be damaged or non-functioning parts and components, perhaps repainting panels that have been repaired in earlier steps, and restoring the paint thickness where it has been worn or polished too thin over the years. The point here is that restoration attempts to bring the car back to original standards - no more, no less. Restomodded cars attempt to make modifications to the original stae in an effort to improve the vehicle in some way (typically performance oriented). That is, however, another story.

Sorry started to get off topic. Restoration, in my definition, is targeted to return the vehicle to original standards - exactly. Reconditioning improves the current state - perhaps beyond the factory standard (as in the work that I have seen here by some on new vehicles).

My two cents for what it`s worth!

Jeff

Buff Guys Auto
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
So your saying I should of thought of a Better company name? I see how it is!:confused_smile:

gigondaz
01-03-2011, 06:32 AM
I like the term "Grooming".

Like grooming for men, women and pets, grooming for cars enhances its aesthetics to make it look "sharper", more presentable etc.

I don`t think detailers can "re-condition" the paint, cos no matter what we do, there`s still dings, minor dents, stone chips and other imperfections. IMO, what we`re doing is "grooming". A well-groomed person might not hv perfect, flawless baby skin. But certain things hv been done to enhance the aesthetics of his/her skin.

The degree of aesthetic enhancement depends on how much grooming is done.

If I want to re-condition a vehicle, I would:

1. Respray entire vehicle so that it looks almost "new"..though not brand spanking new.

Could be a low-budget job.

2. Repair/respray all interior parts so that cosmetically, almost everything appears as close to brand new as possible.

3. Overhaul certain areas of the engine and suspension with parts that`re newer than the originals.

If I want to "restore" a vehicle:

1. Paintjob must be a mirror image of the same car when it was brand new yrs ago.

2. Leather seats cannot be merely re-upholstered. The leather must be identical to the OE leather.

3. Brand new, genuine parts to be used for suspension, engine etc to MIMIC a brand new car.

When i was doing up some Sydney Auto Salon cars a decade ago, I remembered having to find out how that car`s undercarriage looked like when it left the factory (the different coloured markings showing that bolts hv been torqued properly and checked for tightness).

This had to be replicated on that old, restored vehicle. I even needed to source for the original pouch used to contain the owner`s manual!!!