PDA

View Full Version : tiny dots - how to remove?

Tephra
01-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Hi Guys,

So I am spending some time detailing my White 2009 Mitsubishi Evo (just incase that matters), Evo`s are well known for their lack of paint quality, and develop chips very easy (especially given the type of driving we do in them)

Anyways, I am doing the bonnet, so I wash (2 bucket method), clay bay (using the clean wash bucket liquid as the lubricant), and then hit it quickly with a DG #501 + Orange LC hydra pad. The pad comes away dirty so I guess the 501 cleaners have worked.

Now I load up a Blue LC hydra pad with megs #205 and begin the sector by sector polish to remove swirls/light scratches.

After that I get the Xenon inspection light out to check my work..

Under the light I can see TINY TINY dots, almost pin pricks in the paint.

I don`t know if they are tiny chips or something else..

What should I do to try and remove them?

Cheers

D.

Tephra
01-01-2011, 03:55 AM
well after a bit more work and closer inspection I believe they are pits, or tiny chips...

As far as I can tell they only exist on the front of the hood, ie where the most damage would occur...

I don`t think I will be able to get them off :(

Luckily they are only visible when your real close..

David Fermani
01-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Yup, sound like chips to me. Be happy it`s white!

Tephra
01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
yeh, white conceals a lot of the imperfections :)

which is good and bad, the bad being it makes it hard to find scratches/swirls when detailing :|

gigondaz
01-02-2011, 07:12 AM
well after a bit more work and closer inspection I believe they are pits, or tiny chips...

As far as I can tell they only exist on the front of the hood, ie where the most damage would occur...

I don`t think I will be able to get them off :(

Luckily they are only visible when your real close..

You mentioned "pits".

Yes, it`s common to have hundreds or thousands of tiny paint chips on the hood, especially if you tailgate closely at high speeds, or visit the race track often.When you run your hand over these areas, can you feel them? Stone chips can certainly be felt.

Another possibility...

Does it look like someone took a needle and poked a few hundred holes on your paintwork?

Or does it look like thousands of sand particles under your clearcoat?

If your EVO was not bought by you 100% brand new, fresh from the factory, it`s either a used vehicle, or a reconditioned one from Japan.

If that`s the case, the hood, bumpers etc could hv been re-sprayed before. Sub-standard, low-budget re-spray jobs causes "cratering"/pitting. Very common. It cannot be compounded away. Must be re-sprayed.

Tephra
01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
yeah I have had the car since new (5km on the clock), that`s not to say it hasn`t been resprayed, god knows what the dealer may have had to do..

it kinda looks like pin holes in the paint...

I don`t think its sand or anything - I have had a fender resprayed that had sand caught in the clear so I know what that looks like... and I went back for a proper job with that one... 3 times.. lol

I havn`t tracked this Evo yet, but I know that absolutely kills paint as I have done it before in other Evo`s..

Since its only the leading edge of the bonnet I have to conclude its a "sand blasting" affect from following cars on the FWY...

I wouldn`t say I tail gate, and I give more room when there is dirty/stones on the road... oh well the joys of a DD huh?

scrubs147
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Stay away from the light... come over to the dark side Luke.