PDA

View Full Version : ONR after polishing ?

Pages : [1] 2

gav'spurplez
12-31-2010, 09:36 AM
water/alcohol is used after polishing to clean any oils and/or residue left behind.

does anyone use ONR in a spray bottle to cleanse the surface ?

David Fermani
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, I sometimes use ONR, but prefer doing a full wash. If you are doing light polishing ONR makes alot of sense. Are you using alcohol before or after ONR?

Alexshimshimhae
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I`ll onr when I want to leave oils on but want all the dust off...sometimes I simply don`t have the luxury of a hose

Chris@Optimum
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Fermani nailed it...it`s a sometimes but not always thing.

GoCubsGo
12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
I`ve used an ONR wash after polishing to clean up the dust followed by hitting each panel with Menzerna Final Inspection prior to applying my LSP. I really like the results (a nice clean, oil free surface). I`m sure a full wash would be equally, if not more effective, but ONR tends to be a little quicker wash/dry for me.

NOTE: When there is heavy polish dust buildup (aka having used M105 and the KB method) breaking out the leaf blower prior to the ONR wash greatly assists in the dust removal process ;).

gav'spurplez
01-01-2011, 02:02 AM
i dont normally clean the surface with anything after polishing, i remove residue as i polish then wipe the entire vehicle with a clean MF.,

i was just wondering if this could be done. a full wash could go quick enough to add it to the process

SilverJag
01-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Would a full wash eliminate the need for IPA altogether, i.e., removes all polishing oils?

gav'spurplez
01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
this is my question...........seems like it would be a good option........i got alot of smearing when using the ipa

Thomas Dekany
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
yes, in fact it maybe better. In my experience that is.

Would a full wash eliminate the need for IPA altogether, i.e., removes all polishing oils?

Accumulator
01-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Yeah, *if* you wash with the right stuff, i.e., something potent enough. Removing the oils from something like M205 is a pretty tall order and *just IME*, ONR won`t do that and a mild conventional shampooing probably wouldn`t either as those oils can be tough.

Last time I did a post-correction wash, I used AutoInt`s "A" and that *did* really clean things up. If I bother doing the wash, I want it to be effective.

SilverJag
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah, *if* you wash with the right stuff, i.e., something potent enough. Removing the oils from something like M205 is a pretty tall order and *just IME*, ONR won`t do that and a mild conventional shampooing probably wouldn`t either as those oils can be tough.

Last time I did a post-correction wash, I used AutoInt`s "A" and that *did* really clean things up. If I bother doing the wash, I want it to be effective.

Accumulator, thanks for the reply; and yeah- I do agree that M205 oils are a pain to remove. I will give AutosIntl a try :xyxthumbs

dschia
01-02-2011, 05:11 AM
AutoInt`s A is strong stuff! Do you find the paint dull a little after A?

Accumulator
01-02-2011, 12:38 PM
AutoInt`s A is strong stuff! Do you find the paint dull a little after A?

Note that I`ve only done this a few times (eh, I only do correction of any kind once in a blue moon these days). No, I didn`t see any dulling effect. But if it did dull it a little I bet my next step (ZAIO) took care of that anyhow.

I`ve never tried "A" after a finish polishing and then going direct to LSP. But I`d be a little surprised if it ever caused any dulling on modern, healthy paint. I`d think twice about using stuff like that on older, potentially fragile, paint anyhow.

Those M205 oils are becoming a pet peeve of mine, even PrepWash wipes aren`t always removing them to my satisfaction. I have too much M205 to just switch to something else, but the thought does occur to me.

Alexshimshimhae
01-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I`ve been getting to the point that the M205 should just be left for those who want to leave the oils on..

I start to wonder what the point of taking them off is anymore lol

Accumulator
01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I`ve been getting to the point that the M205 should just be left for those who want to leave the oils on..

I start to wonder what the point of taking them off is anymore lol

I generally agree, but I`ve had them cause various issues when left on so I`m leaning towards stripping them off *on my vehicles*.