PDA

View Full Version : NewB assortment of Q`s and advice thread :)

jojo69
12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Within the general constraints of an 18 y.o car sitting outside, in addition to doing some "relatively" regular ONR washes to minimize effects of roads on paint, is there any recommendations of products to use to help fight against winter roads or which may help reduce the impact of the winter on old paint (ie: salt, dirt etc...). Would that Collinite 845 help? Other?

Any other suggestions/tips you may have, feel free to post!

I`m new to winters and still learning about detailing...

thanks!

Accumulator
12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
jojo69- Welcome to Autopia!

The #1 thing is to avoid rust and other corrosion. That`s a tall order when you don`t have a (heated) garage, but it`s a lot more important than whether the paint is nice and shiny. Find some way to clean the salt off the undercarriage and areas like the lips of the wheel well openings. Look at where other people`s cars have rusted out, and try to attend to those areas on your car.

For the paint, a thorough wash, followed by claying, and then some kind of OTC paint cleaner (e.g., Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner) followed by Collinite wax should be a good starting point. Might be hard to do that sort of thing outside this time of year though!

jojo69
12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks accumulator. Car is rust free for now and based on cars i see running down the road, rear wheel seems to attract rust liek no other. I have already coated the rear wheel with OTC spray coating to minimize & prevent rust. No idea how well that will work out over the next few months, but it`s better than nothing. I will try to pressure wash undercarraige & wheel wells whenever i can (as long as it`s not freezing out!)...

In terms of paint/shine etc... I have the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner (Since i bought all 3 steps a few years ago) so i can use this, and I am trying to purchase either #6 or Collinite... They both seem to work equally well so whichever i can get my hands on first i will use as u recommended.

The last "detail" i did was last weekend. Washed, clay, used a 6" one-handed orbital buffer (ie: cheap one bought at WM) with a foam pad to apply NXT & buffed by hand for finishing touch. That`s the last the car got in terms of care. Whenever i get the LSP (collinite or #6), I will go ahead and plan on doing what you suggested.

thanks!

Next item on the to-buy list is a PC 7424! :)

Accumulator
12-30-2010, 01:39 PM
jojo69- IIRC, the #6 is a cleaner-wax. Since you recently did the clay/NXT, I`d just get some Collinite and apply it right over the NXT after a regular wash.

Good move, spraying the wheelwells :xyxthumbs Try to wash out the salt as best you can and keep your fingers crossed until spring when you can finally do a big post-winter cleanup.