PDA

View Full Version : cant get this out of the paint job.. any ideas

afreelife4me
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
customer said he was driving down a road and a tar truck must of spilled some tar on the road.. he ran through it and it got all over the bottom of the car and sprayed the rest of the car.. now the customer panicked and when he got hom he used GOOF off and tried to remove it.. and it left this stain on the bottom.. tried polishing with flex 3401 and cyan hydro tech pads and it did not budge.. told him i would investigate cause i was not sure about that product he used.. i read the back and it did not say anything about using on cars.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/donavin629/Web/P1080419.jpg

757motoring
12-24-2010, 07:50 AM
So is that a stain from the tar or you think the goof off?

afreelife4me
12-24-2010, 08:07 AM
well i thought it was just stained from the tar but when i removed all the rest of the tar using a body shop tar remover and a rag.. it all pretty much came off.. there were a few select spots that would not buff out.. but that whole strip you see in the pic is the section the customer did with his own product.

it was not a long time of it sitting there either.. he got the overspray and called me the next day.. so its not like it was out baking in the sun or anything.

so i think it is a mixture of the tar color and the goof off.. not sure what type of reaction that chemical has with auto paint

justin30513
12-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Wow. Try Stoner`s Tarmintor. You may want to even try wet sanding an area. Does it look like there may be a protective film down there covering the area? Sometimes they can change color.

Jpostal
12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I use stuff from Carbrite called Eradicator and it works pretty good for tar, but not sure if it would help with staining. Wet sanding could work...

gigondaz
12-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Dear `ol GOOFY is just a blend of solvents (acetone, xylene etc), and shd never damaged healthy paint.

That bottom skirt...is it part of the car?

Or was it an aftermarket add-on item that has been resprayed to match body colour?? Certain substandard respray jobs utilise 2pack paints that doesn`t have a clearcoat (but still 2pack nevertheless) and these have been know to stain due to strong solvents.

1. Spray full strength Multi-Purpose Cleaner. Let it dwell for a few minutes. Wash off.

2. Or....keep the area wet with WD40 for 15-20mins, and wash off with shampoo.

If there`s still a faint trace of the stain....wool pad+compound+rotary.

Jean-Claude
12-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I wonder if that area has been repainted at some point? Maybe a low quality paint/clear was used? Test the depth of the paint and see if there is anything fishy in that way. If you see that the paint is very thick, it was most likely repainted at some point. If you notice it`s much thinner where the staining is than the surrounding areas maybe some paint/clear was removed.

Beyond that, you could try wet sanding an obscure area to see if it`s merely staining of the clear.

These are just stabs and guesses. Keep us updated on what you find out.

Street5927
12-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Inlooking closely, i am very confident that the stain is a result of the goof off, because of the "dripping" pattern on the stain. Tar sticks like glue and will not run like that unless it is super hot. My guess is, the client sprayed the goof off on and let it sit (drip down) and let it sit on too long causing a stain. If buffing would not get it off, and you have tried eveyrhting else, why not go back to the goof off and try to remove it with that (dont let it sit on long). I would spray a small part (where it is already stained) and wipe off to see what happens. I have found that sometimes when an item causes staining, the only thing that will safely remove the staining is the same thing that caused it....make sense??? Give it a try before wet sanding. If not, try the suggestions of those above.

afreelife4me
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
sorry for the delay.. to be honest the customer is not really paying me that much to try to get this out.. i told him i would look into it...its more out of my curiosity..im not wet sanding anything.. i may tell him to try the goof off again and not let it sit but i think thats it.

thanks for the help.. was just wondering if i was overlooking something

sparklescarwash
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
That is stained or etched clear coat eather from to harsh of a cleaner or sprayed on hot paint it looks like some one used laquer thiner

David Fermani
12-30-2010, 10:25 PM
That is stained or etched clear coat eather from to harsh of a cleaner or sprayed on hot paint it looks like some one used laquer thiner

I agree. I`ve run into a couple scenarios where the paint was permanantly stained and required refinishing. Keep in mind that this is the rocker panel molding and can easily be removed, sanded and refinsihed for under $300. It`s a little more rxpensivebecause this color is a 3 stage / pearl.