PDA

View Full Version : spot free rinse at a carwash

swirlparanoid
12-18-2010, 08:51 PM
my question is does anyone know at a car wash during the spot free rinse thing what is coming out of that hose?:suspicious: does it help at all to use it because i never have before

Apollo_Auto
12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi there!

Well if you`re really "swirlparanoid" you shouldn`t be bringing your car to the automatic wash in the first place :) (assuming that you`re referring to an automatic wash). As far as I know, they put some sort of waster softener in the rinse along with drying aides, but in automatic washes the water is recycled... so basically the water they`re rinsing your car with has been used on 1,000 cars before yours. It`s nasty in other words.

swirlparanoid
12-19-2010, 08:48 AM
no i was just talking about the hand washes, all the waters recycled? damn i dont know if im ever gonna find a good wash process for winter time, last time i washed outside it was 20 and my mom was visiting and she fell on the driveway. lol Does ONR work well on really salty cars?

Dan
12-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I think in most any automatic or coin-op wand wash, the rinse/spot free waters are not recycled.

Street5927
12-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a touch less car was near my house. The process is to drive in slow for the rocker and under carriage wash, then it does a hot foam pre soak, followed by a high pressure rinse and then dry (wax) if you pay for it, but I dont waste my money on that. It does an ok job, but because no brushes ever touch it, it doesn`t get all the junk off..but good enough for me in the dead of winter to keep road salt off. I also know for a fact that they don`t recycle the water because when it was up for sale, I inquired on the water bill, and it was outrageous because the water is not recycled.

Lonnie
12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
no i was just talking about the hand washes, all the waters recycled? damn i dont know if im ever gonna find a good wash process for winter time, last time i washed outside it was 20 and my mom was visiting and she fell on the driveway. lol Does ONR work well on really salty cars?

Your "concerns" about ice left behind from outside washing in the driveway are well founded. As far as recycled water at touch-less car washes, you really need to ask the owner or the on-site carwash manager. It depends on the local ordinances of that municipality. Many do, especially those in the SouthWest where water conservation is a must.

As far as ONR getting a salty car clean, yes it will. Unfortunately, many road departments are using a sand-&-salt mixture to cut back on cost and the sand will play havoc on painted surfaces, like lower rocker panels, using the one-bucket method with ONR in the winter. I would suggest using touch-less car washes first and then coming home and finishing with ONR in the garage (or driveway). Also, some muncipalities that use only salt are also using some type of "bonding agent" (like red beet juice) that leaves a film behind on car exterior surfaces that touch-less car washers cannot remove. It`s a bad idea to try and wipe a car dry, even with a good WaffleWeave MF towel, when this is film is present. I have found that the ONLY way to remove it is to physically touch the exterior surfaces with a wash media, like a grout sponge or deep pile-type wash pad, and "wipe" it (wash it) off, and then dry the surface.