PDA

View Full Version : Help! Deep scratches, trying to avoid body work

Knightt
12-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I tried to search for this but had trouble finding my specific case. I`m looking to the experts here to see if someone can advise the best approach to repair these scratches. I have some deep scratches where it reaches the primer. The paint has been chipped off and most of the scuff marks I figure can be buffed out but I`m more concern about the deep scratches as I don`t want those areas to rust. It`s in an area where dirt/snow flings to since this is behind the wheel. Any thoughts?

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/files/4/1/1/3/1/img_0076.jpg

imported_WCD
12-18-2010, 12:53 AM
1500, 2500, 3000 paper?

Follow with 105 and DA and then 205, or your favorite combo.

Knightt
12-18-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the advice, but what do you think of getting some touch up paint and use the Langka process? I have never used it but seen videos. I was thinking this may be the easy way out? Fill the chips with touch up and use the Blob Eliminator to smooth it out? Anyone tried this method?

sparklescarwash
12-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Touch up paint in deep gouges in the paint let dry. Then wet sand then buff. Some times u will need to reaply more touch up paint during the sanding process u want to try and get the paint built up eaven as u can.

Jpostal
12-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I don`t think you need to worry about rust...looks like a plastic bumber cover to me. Regardless you still want to make it look better and the method outlined by ^^sparklescarwash^^ is a good approach. If you have never wet sanded before you will want to read up on how to do it or find someone who can do it.

Here is a pictue of a repair I did using the touch up paint, wet sand, and buffing approach. There were several deep gouges and a bunch of scuffs...the repair was not perfect, but for a family sedan that gets washed once every 2 months it was acceptable.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9904/bumperscuff.jpg (http://img502.imageshack.us/i/bumperscuff.jpg/)

David Fermani
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Looks like most of the scuffing will dissappear, but the deeper gouges all the way down to the raw substrate will require paint.

Accumulator
12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, but what do you think of getting some touch up paint and use the Langka process? I have never used it but seen videos. I was thinking this may be the easy way out? Fill the chips with touch up and use the Blob Eliminator to smooth it out? Anyone tried this method?

While it won`t turn out as nice as a well-done wetsanding/etc. approach, it oughta look better than it does now.

Or you could try the DRColorchips system.

IMO, wetsanding/compounding/polishing isn`t something you will always get just right the first time ;) It might just open a can of worms that you won`t enjoy dealing with. I think I`d recommend that you either do it with one of those simple methods (Langka/DRColorchip) or have a pro do it for you.

If any of the damage is down to bare metal, I`d use a dab of rust converter instead of primer.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Street5927
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I will agree that while wetsanding should eliminate most of the scuffing, and that the deeper scratches will need to be painted, I think you will have a difficult time blending the paint (with touch up paint) since it will be difficult to blend metallic paint via touch up, as the metallic will not be as uniform as if it was sprayed. If you do touch it up, just be prepared that it may not look as good as you had hoped.