PDA

View Full Version : bonding sealnts..waxes..

sacdetailing
12-15-2010, 11:59 PM
How to know if the this "--type of--" wax will bond to this "--type of--" sealant? like would auto glym high definition wax would bond to black fire w. d. sealant? Im just asking. or would black fire sealant bond to the meguiars m66 or m80? how to know this things? thanks to all

Thomas Dekany
12-16-2010, 03:17 AM
waxes will bond, even over polish. Sealants need a clean surface, so either use a paint cleaner or do an alcohol wipe before applying.

Dan
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
waxes will bond, even over polish. Sealants need a clean surface, so either use a paint cleaner or do an alcohol wipe before applying.

It depends on the sealant, some like Zaino have such wicked solvents that they will bond to anything. Granted you will compromise the durability a bit, but they will be fine. I can only think of one that is really sensitive to what is under it, and that is KSG. Everything else seems to be just fine.

gigondaz
12-23-2010, 06:57 AM
So far, I`ve encountered only 2 finicky products:

IMO, Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish is quite finicky when topped with anything that`s none Autoglym (eg: Megs No26 wax, No16 waxm 3M Prof Hard Paste wax etc)...except pure carnaubas.

Meg`s NXT and NXT2 could be blotchy, smudgy if applied on top of certain types of pure polishes and glazes. That`s why, some people experience problems with NXT and some don`t.

Accumulator
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
..IMO, Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish is quite finicky when topped with anything that`s none Autoglym (eg: Megs No26 wax, No16 waxm 3M Prof Hard Paste wax etc)...except pure carnaubas..

Are you saying you had trouble using those over SRP?

I used SRP as the base for #16, Collinite 476S, Malm`s liquid, and 3M Showcar Paste Wax (older non-VOC version), and probably a few more I`m forgetting, for ages and I can`t recall ever having problems :think: But then I often let the SRP set up for a day if possible too.

Heh heh, the one thing I never tried was actually topping SRP with an Autoglym LSP!