PDA

View Full Version : Quick detailer with good cleaning power: FK146, Duragloss 921 or other?

AlexRuiz
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I finally made a dent on my old stash (took over 2 years though :o) and my quick detailers are almost gone. I am looking to replenish.

Key here is good lubricity and cleaning power. I have narrowed down to 2 possible choices:

- Finish Kare FK146

- Duragloss fast clean and shine 923 (gallon size of the 921)

I got one bottle of the 921 and I was very pleased. Looks almost as good as FK425, but is much better at cleaning. A very good quick detailer indeed. I know the FK146 is also described as a much better cleaner than 425 while looking almost as good.

Has anyone tried both? If you could pick only one, which would you pick? Is there another one I am skipping? (Megs M34 final inspection for example)

Give me your thoughts

Alex

imported_sal329
12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I like DG, I did switch the the marine version of the DG

jrose0070
12-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I like Optinium or Pinnacle crystal mist

Accumulator
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Can`t help as I`ve never tried the DG :nixweiss

But FK146 is rapidly becoming my fave QD for use on sealants. No, it doesn`t look quite as nice as FK425, but it can do a tiny bit of concealing (though I hear there`s a new FK425 formula that might do the same).

Never thought of Crystal Mist as much of a cleaner-QD, more like a light spray wax with good lubricity...but then I`ve only used the older version.

I use M34 as a very gentle cleaner on all sorts of things (nonautomotive stuff too), but IMO FK146 cleans better and leaves things nicer. I guess I generally use M34 when I want a "clean, as in bare" surface as it hardly leaves anything behind whereas FK146 sure *does* leave stuff behind.

Hmm...I`d be interested to hear how the DG921/923 compares to the FK146 :think: I can understand your wondering about how the two stack up against each other. Does the DG seem to leave much behind?

ltebow34
12-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Me and Accumulator are only people in autopia who likeFK146. I use this in between layer of 1000P. Does not get streaky as some QD do. Works on btoh sealant and wax and will not mess up either with streak.

Plus 146 still has anti static and I use this for personal car for bug and bird bomb. This QD get no press because it does not smell like anything and doesn`t have flashy label. I buy 146 by the gallons. If you buy both you can make your own choice, if you can buy only 1 get FK146.

Accumulator I like 146 on sealant too I dont worry about look a QD give, 1000P is my main sealant so I know it will hold it look for months and months.

Accumulator
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
ltebow- Yeah, I use FK1000P on my Yukon and it`s quickly becoming my favorite on wheels too.

And FK146 is the QD I keep in my sealed vehicles for emergency QDing (I used to use FK425 for this). I still like FK425 and I use `em both these days.

But I quit using these QDs on waxes after I got *horrible* pseudo-holograms when I FK425ed the beater-Audi`s Collinite. Yeah, I know, that`s an odd case what with its compromised paint (probably lots of wax residue in it to get solvent-actioned, hence the pseudo-holograms), but the problem was so bad I`m never risking it again. And I gotta say that the FK QDs leave a different look that I want on the cars that I wax- too reflective and "bright".

Heh heh, I *LIKE* the smell of FK146 :D It`s very different from the scent of FK425 though.

I can`t remember who else here likes FK146 :think: Maybe Bence, but I can`t recall for sure.

audicoupej
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I like FK146. I have used the marine version of DG too (#521). It worked well, made the flake pop well (on motorcycles) and added a little protection. No word on how long the protection lasted since they were out of town friends bike`s on a trip to deals gap. Keep in mind this was about 2 years ago. I`m not sure if the formula has changed or not.

146 I use for bird bombs/bugs and on my bike/helmet after rides. Sometimes I use 146 to clean, then I finish with 425. One thing to note, when I clean my helmets in my house over the old oak hardwood the 146 leaves the floors super slick. I have almost busted my rump a few times, and it lasts for a while. Not that that is an offical test, but it definitely leaves something slick behind. So much so I want to coat the whole floor just to slide around in my socks :bounce

Both work great around the house too, as I am sure the DG would.

I have gallons of both FK`s.

I think you will be happy with either one. You can always purchase the small spray bottles and test them.

AlexRuiz
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Accumulator, DG921 does leave stuff behind. It reminds me a lot of FK425 for look, but it has more cleaning power.

I guess I`ll go back to the old ways, and buy a gallon of each... I just ran out of space to hide the stuff form my wife :o

Accumulator
12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Accumulator, DG921 does leave stuff behind. It reminds me a lot of FK425 for look, but it has more cleaning power.

I guess I`ll go back to the old ways, and buy a gallon of each... I just ran out of space to hide the stuff form my wife :o

Thanks for schooling me on the DG921, I never know all that much about DG stuff but I like learning about it.

Heh heh, Accumulatorette appreciates good QDs so she doesn`t mind when I buy gallons of different ones. She sometimes asks which to use for some job, but it`s getting complicated now that I have FK146 in the mix- I used to say "use the blue one" for Griot`s SpeedShine, but now there are two blue ones :think: Guess it could be the same way with M34 and FK425, but those are pretty different "pinks".

dogma
12-12-2010, 06:07 PM
CK Quickshine and Prima Slick

Accumulator
12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
CK Quickshine..

I`m using up my QuikShine (is that how they spell it? Those cutsey spellings drive me nuts :rolleyes: ) when drying non-critcal areas of the beaters (undercarriages, engine compartments, etc.) and while it`s an OK general-purpose QD I sure wouldn`t put it in the same category as FK146.

I know some people here really like the QuikShine, but I guess its appeal is sorta lost on me :nixweiss

Scottwax
12-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I still really like Quikshine, nice wet shine and better than RainX on glass. However, if I want real cleaning power in a QD, I use ONR at QD strength.