PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, another request for polish recommendations (for black Acura paint)

rx280
12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
(Not sure whether a post like this really belongs in the Detailing Products forum.)

It’s been about 5.5 years since I bought my PC, and I’ve finally just about used up the primary polish I bought to use with it, Sonus SFX-2. (I also have SFX-3, also bought back in 2005, but I haven’t used even half of it.)

In 2007, after using the PC and the polishes maybe a half-dozen times, I asked Autopians for their thoughts on a polish switch I was contemplating: replacing the SFX-2 and SFX-3 with Menzerna’s Super-Intensive Polish (PO83Q) and Nano Polish (PO106FF). (I’d been reading a lot of highly favorable comments on the Menzerna pair.)

I got a mixed bag of responses and decided to just keep using the Sonus polishes. Now that the SFX-2 is nearly gone, I need to decide what to go with next. Actually, I’m going to let a family member make the purchase for me, as a Christmas present, and with the holiday only three weeks off, I’m being urged to provide the needed ordering info ASAP.

Bear in mind that the polishes will be used primarily on Acura (Honda) Nighthawk Black Pearl paint, which is, to be kind, delicate.

My inclination, given all I’ve read here over the last year or so, is to go with Meguiar’s 105 and 205, but I eagerly await any and all suggestions

I could also use pad recommendations. My assortment of pads for the PC is minimal. All I have are the three pads I bought back in 2005 along with the Sonus polishes: the DAS orange (firm), green (medium) and blue (soft) pads by Sonus – just one of each – plus a Griot’s orange pad (which is a little smaller in diameter and someone thinner than the DAS pads). If you can recommend pad/polish combinations, great. If you think I need more than one pad of a particular type, please say so. (Don’t cringe, but I’ve been using one pad to do the entire car with the particular polish.

Thanks.

Accumulator
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
rx280- I hesitate to recommend specific polishes as I don`t know from your paticular paint and I *think* it might be one of those that`s a little, uhm...sensitive. But sure, M105/M205 are great to have on-hand no matter what IMO, though the new Optimum Spray Compound sounds intriguing and might be a viable substitute for the M105 if your paint is on the soft side (haven`t tried mine yet so no first-hand info). You might also want to consider something *very* gentle like maybe Menzerna FPII.

One thing about the M105 (and to a lesser extent M205) is that you really need a *LOT* of pads as once the pad gets loaded with old product/cut-off paint it`ll quite working well.

FWIW, I do really like those Griot`s polishing pads.