PDA

View Full Version : first time machine polishing... Few questions...

Danilo
11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Alright, I have watched a ton of videos, read a million how to`s... I believe I am ready to jump into this, and get my Black FX35 looking amazing!

It has a ton of swirls (nothing major).

I bought a PC 7424xp, just need to finish outfitting it.

The questions I have...

-What backing plate should I use... I see that 6`` plates are good for up to 8 1/2`` pads... so can I use a 5`` plate with 7 1/2`` pads? or should I buy a 6`` backing plate?

-Pads... I`m thinking Country Lake pads... not the flat ones, or Hex Logic, both get awesome reviews, so I`m caught in the middle.

-What polish to use for light swirl removal... Was thinking of using M205, and then something after as a finisher... just not sure what... there is just so much product out there, and so many reviews on everything... what is something suggested for first timers?

Thanks guys. All help is appreciated.

BigAl3
11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
buy a 5" DA backing plate and some 5.5" flat pads. where do you plan on buying the products?

Dan
11-30-2010, 04:31 PM
buy a 5" DA backing plate and some 5.5" flat pads. where do you plan on buying the products?

Second the 5" backing plate, Even my original PC was able to correct softer finishes with pads up to 6.5". Go with flat pads, anything else is gimmicky and harder to keep clean. ProperAutoCare has some decent deals on 6 packs of LC pads with free shipping and some sort of discount coupon just about every week.

If you listen to nothing else anyone posts, listen to this, do a 2x2` or smaller test area and evaluate your results before you execute your battle plan on the whole car. All paints are different, especially as a newbie, you can get frustrated if you don`t follow that advice. There is nothing like doing a 3 or 4 stage polish and then noticing you still have swirls all over the place.

Danilo
11-30-2010, 05:33 PM

Plan on most likely ordering from Autogeek, unless there is a local store in Miami with decent prices...

autogeek free FL shipping is 1 day to me, and they have a ton of stuff.

Danilo
11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Second the 5" backing plate, Even my original PC was able to correct softer finishes with pads up to 6.5". Go with flat pads, anything else is gimmicky and harder to keep clean. ProperAutoCare has some decent deals on 6 packs of LC pads with free shipping and some sort of discount coupon just about every week.

If you listen to nothing else anyone posts, listen to this, do a 2x2` or smaller test area and evaluate your results before you execute your battle plan on the whole car. All paints are different, especially as a newbie, you can get frustrated if you don`t follow that advice. There is nothing like doing a 3 or 4 stage polish and then noticing you still have swirls all over the place.

Will do a 2x2 first to make sure I get the desired results. I agree, no point in doing all the work, then looking back and seeing that there was no improvement.

My battleplan is (so far...)

-Full foam

-Rinse

-Foam again + 2bucket wash

-Clay

-Wash (foam + clean water bucket)

-Dry

-Begin swirl removal (still wondering on products to use)

BigAl3
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Plan on most likely ordering from Autogeek, unless there is a local store in Miami with decent prices...

autogeek free FL shipping is 1 day to me, and they have a ton of stuff.

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack (http://autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

Lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (http://autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html)

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound (http://autogeek.net/meguiars-105-compound-8oz.html)

if you plan on only doing your car, then get the 8oz bottles above, otherwise get a quart of each (more cost effective)...

also, look around and see if you can find the same products elsewhere for cheaper as AG will price match. check detailedimage.com, detailing.com, properautocare.com, topoftheline.com ...

Danilo
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Will do!

Dan
11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Personally, I`d grab the UC and SwirlX from the Autoparts store, you get 16oz for the price of 8 and both of those are a little bit more forgiving than 105/205. I would get a decent finishing polish (PO85RD) or finish out with something like Poli-seal.

Danilo
11-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Swirl X I have seen... UC? not familiar with?

Light Cutting pad with those? (orange flat LC pad)

BigAl3
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Personally, I`d grab the UC and SwirlX from the Autoparts store, you get 16oz for the price of 8 and both of those are a little bit more forgiving than 105/205. I would get a decent finishing polish (PO85RD) or finish out with something like Poli-seal.

while he could pick up the ultimate compound and swirlx OTC as well (i`ve had great results with UC via DA btw),

why not pick up 105/205 (as mentioned opt for the 8oz size if it`s for personal use as a quart may be a little much),

just in case he may need/want it later down the line since he`s doing an order anyway...

Danilo
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
while he could pick up the ultimate compound and swirlx OTC as well (i`ve had great results with UC via DA btw),

why not pick up 105/205 (as mentioned opt for the 8oz size if it`s for personal use as a quart may be a little much),

just in case he may need/want it later down the line since he`s doing an order anyway...

Well, I have to order pads, backing plates and a few other things... so I`ll likely order everything at once... UC, Swirlx, m105/205 and some kind of LSP. All the online prices are much better anyway! and, with the amount of stuff that has to be bought... better online.

By the way, is that pad that comes with the porter cable good for anything, or should I just chuck it?

Either way... Google brings up nothing as far as a place to buy these in person, in Miami... Anyone know of a place?

Accumulator
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
By the way, is that pad that comes with the porter cable good for anything, or should I just chuck it?

I`d hold on to it in case you want to do something very gentle like LSP/glaze application. Or for use on some more powerful machine that you might buy at a later date (never say never ;) ).