PDA

View Full Version : Soft Scrub

vcallaway
02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I`m pretty sure this product is not recommended by any car company or paint mfg. I`m certainly NOT recommending it either.

However, it is about the only product that I`ve used that will cut heavy oxidation and kill off the mold and moss on a car that has sat for years. I use soft scrub with bleach with a terry towel and lots of water.

It actually stopped raining long enough this morning that I was able to go out and start on the paint on my project car.

http://3-xr.com/files/softscrub.jpg

It should be pretty obvious in the photo that the front door was done and the back door is untouched.

Beemerboy
02-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Looks like its doing the job alright....certainly can`t hurt the finish any more than the elements have.....this was a product that I learned about threw this forum....thought that I would pass along for you to read about....its kind of pricey but looks like it would do the job for you....I`m looking forward to seeing the end results on this project

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-professional.htm

mtmaher1
02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Huh. I`d have never considered using that, but it looks like it might have got the clean up process started.
I saw your first post when the car was first pulled out. I`m waiting for a good before and after.

Good luck it sounded like quite a piece of work with the whole open sunroof situation

glen22
02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
You are leading me to beleive you are doing this by hand is this a fact cuz your arms are going to be sooooo tired!!!!! :hail

vcallaway
02-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I would be afraid to use soft scrub with any power tools. I think it would probably remove the paint.

My next step is to use a polish with a power buffer. At that point I`m going to be looking for recomendations. I`ve visited a few of the advertiser sites and there are lots of products to choose from.

pogo123
02-02-2006, 08:25 PM
vcallaway, I`m really enjoying following your project, and I`ve already learned a few new tricks. Are you planning on claying the car? I`m relatively new to claying myself but it is pretty amazing how well it works and how smooth a finish it leaves. Great work so far. Please keep us posted.

joe.p
02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
I had a white truck at work and the hood was totaly oxidized. I soaked a rag with WD 40 and wiped down the entire hood of oxidation with a nice shine left in the paint. The truck was sent to another dept a few monthes later so i dont know how long it stayed that way.Try A spot and see if it will work.

vcallaway
02-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Clay was recommended. I bought a mothers claybar kit but have not used it yet. I`m not exactly sure at what point I should use it on this car.

budman3
02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Personally, I would have AIO`d the whole car instead of using a non-car care product. But then again, not much worse can become of the paint I suppose. Jngrbrdman did this with AIO...similar condition to that vehicle.
http://ocdetails.com/assets/images/AIOside2.jpg

Once you get the surface clean and free of the major oxidation I would then clay followed by machine polishing the rest of the gloss back to the best of your abilitly.

The Pad Man
02-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I would have wash the car with a solution of Simple Green. Then hit the car with a wool compounding pad and a compound like Optimum or Mothers pro line. Then worked the surface from there. Ive heard from some older gentlemen that they use cleanser as a first step on an oxidixed white car, (mixed with water of course). Ive never done it.