PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Plastx Alternatives?

pinklemonade
11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I`ve been less than impressed with Plastx, but other brands are more expensive and harder to find, so before I start banging my head against the product wall, does anyone have a never-fail-favorite?

Or, if you`re a fan of Meguiar`s Plastx, any tips for achieving better results?

Thanks! :)

AeroCleanse
11-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Never used Plastx, just used car polish.

Bunky
11-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I`ve been less than impressed with Plastx, but other brands are more expensive and harder to find, so before I start banging my head against the product wall, does anyone have a never-fail-favorite?

Or, if you`re a fan of Meguiar`s Plastx, any tips for achieving better results?

Thanks! :)

What plastics are you working on? Headlights?

pinklemonade
11-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Indeed! Even after several coats, Meguiar`s can`t seem to remove much of the haze or yellowing.

DM101
11-28-2010, 07:59 AM
You need to go to autogeek.net and type in headlight restorer .... You need a heavier polish to clean your headlights with. Diamondite and 3M makes some good products for this.

samhian
11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Use Megs 105. Works better than most plastic restorers. It`s great for removing haze on head lights.

pinklemonade
11-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you both, I`ll give it a go! :)

Accumulator
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Remember that doing heavy correction on headlights will often/usually remove the UV protectant. To really do the job right (in the long-term sense) and avoid needing to redo it frequently, check out the headlight restoration offered by Barry Theal. Money well-spent IMO.

Tony1
12-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Megs Ultimate Compound works great on headlights.

Accumulator
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Megs Ultimate Compound works great on headlights.

This might be a good time to point out that I do *NOT* like using M205 on exterior plastics; things look nice until the oils are gone and then it`s really awful...almost like the product dries things out or something (not sure what`s really going on but I had to repolish with other stuff to fix it).

Tony1
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
This might be a good time to point out that I do *NOT* like using M205 on exterior plastics; things look nice until the oils are gone and then it`s really awful...almost like the product dries things out or something (not sure what`s really going on but I had to repolish with other stuff to fix it).

I never used 205 on the headlights so I wouldn`t know but UC works really well for restoration. I removed bad clouding by hand with UC and a foam pad in 10 min. Plastx couldn`t touch it. I thought I was going to need to wet sand but UC cleaned them right up. I followed up with Klasse AIO and than a sealant.

DM101
12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Where would you get the kit???

Remember that doing heavy correction on headlights will often/usually remove the UV protectant. To really do the job right (in the long-term sense) and avoid needing to redo it frequently, check out the headlight restoration offered by Barry Theal. Money well-spent IMO.

Accumulator
12-03-2010, 12:41 PM
MDRX8- Sorry, I was unclear. I`d just send the headlights to Barry. Though I guess you could get the stuff he uses (including a paintgun) and DIY. Eh, his prices are so low that I can`t imagine doing it myself :grinno: