PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Product Phases........

Glossmaster
11-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Cheers to all! If you`re a detailing product addict like me, who has built a rather large arsenal of detailing products over the years.....Do you find yourself going through "detailing product" phases. I`m not talking about the "detailing product flavor of the month" phase that some of us have gotten caught up in, thus draining your wallet and adding an obsessive compulsive need to buy & try everything talked about by respected Autopians. It`s simply this....Phases such as liquid or paste carnauba phase. Sealant product phases. Synthetic Wax phases. To glaze or not to glaze? Polish phases where you`re really digging polish brand X for a period of time, then switching to polish brand Y. This product line vs that product line. Should I mix this with that kinda thing. Spit shine or not? OR, the phase of "experimentation". For example, the great Scottwax brought forth the idea and experience with "Pink Moose". Do you go through "Product withdrawal" and is there a 12 step program for that??? lol. I was going through "Zaino withdrawal", as I hadn`t touched my cache of Zaino for a long time. When I purchased my new car recently, I needed some big time therapy. I was going through detailing product "analysis paralysis". lol. My Metallic Silver paint was calling the "inner Autopian" in me. Maybe it was just the voices in my head. lol. I narrowed it down to 3 product lines before dusting off my Zaino stash. 3 layers of ZFX`d Z5 Pro followed by 3 layers of ZFX`d Z2 Pro a week later. I like to experiment with products. Sometimes I feel like "Doc Brown" from the movie "Back To The Future". So here`s a question for all: Has anyone actually mixed Z5 Pro with Z2 Pro, ZFX`d in the same bottle? Say, 1/2 oz Z5 Pro mixed with 1/2 oz Z2 Pro? (By now, the Zaino masses are gasping) I`m tossing that idea through my fragile little mind this morning. Most will ask "WHY", as Zaino is such a specialized product line. I might add a pinch of Z8 in the mixture. (more gasping) Ah yes........The detailing product experimental phase. Any thoughts, anyone??

Scottwax
11-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I might play around a bit on my own car, but 90% of the time I use either Opti-Seal or Carnauba Moose as my LSP. I don`t use a glaze except on high dollar details. Had to streamline things, it was getting out of hand using 20 different combinations a week.

AeroCleanse
11-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Since I don`t know all the products in the world, I am always looking for better products.

Glossmaster
11-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Scottwax: Thanks for chiming in. I wouldn`t have discovered the Optimum products or the Clearkote Products if it wasn`t for you. I do have a question for you and others who are using a WOWA product: I live on the edge of the desert in San Angelo Texas. If it`s not the wind blown dust capitol of the USA, then it comes darn close. I have yet to buy/try any of the WOWA products due to the concern of said wind blown dust embedding itself in the sealant. Since you just wipe it on and walk away, would the constant 10-20 mile per hour dust/sand winds blowing effect a WOWA product?

Still looking for others to comment on mixing Z2 Pro 50/50 with Z5 Pro. Waste of time or worth the experiment?

Scottwax
11-21-2010, 10:17 AM
The Dallas area is very windy too, no problems with WOWA sealants since they dry so quickly.

wannafbody
11-21-2010, 07:21 PM
You can mix Z2/Z5 together in the bottle but you kinda lose the individual strength of each.

Cleaning Fool
11-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I mixed Z2 and Z5 once and really didn`t feel like the experiment accomplished much of anything.

Glossmaster
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM
The Dallas area is very windy too, no problems with WOWA sealants since they dry so quickly.

That`s good to know. I appreciate it.

Dan
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I seem to go back and forth on sealants and carnaubas. I love the immediate looks of a carnauba but someone once posted something that has been stuck in my mind for ages. They said that applying Zaino vs M26 on a car, the M26 looked just slightly better when first applied. But as the days went by, M26 started fading fast while the Zaino kept looking good for weeks.