PDA

View Full Version : Help with Menzerna Products

Pages : [1] 2 3

LightngSVT
11-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Hello everyone, After a long hiatus from detailng (due to back problems) I finally got got back on the horse yesterday. My first project was my wifes black Mountaineer, next my silver 330i and I have a black Expedition lined up too. Anyway, I recently purchased some new supplies, among them are Menzerna IP and FP. I also purchased Lake Country orange and gray CCS pads for both my Flex rotary and PC7424.

The Mountaineer is a `10 but right before we bought it the dealer had pinstripes painted on, arrggghhh! They "removed" them but even after taking it back to them twice there was still alot of haze and holograms in the paint. Ive also noticed ramdom deeper scratches, but not to many. The scratches arent through the paint and only show up in certian lights but look like someone had wiped the car down with something abrasive on the towel leaving the random, long scratch in the clear.

I first took to the car with the Flex / orange pad and the IP at about 1500-1800rpm, while it took most of the imperfections out I was left with holograms and "polishing haze" (fine marring like compounding). The description says it finishes blemish free? So next I tried the same combo but on the PC at speed 5, it finished much, much finer but still not 100% perfect. I assume its my technique, what am I doing wrong?

I then went to the FP, gray pad and the PC at 5, wow what a difference! Even under 500w halogen lights the finish looked nearly flawless (minus the random deep scratch the even the IP didnt remove). All the haze, dullness and holograms were gone after just one "pass". As a light or finishing polish I am very impressed with this combo! I did have one problem with the FP that I wonder if its normal or not, it left a very oily residue after wiping. I used QD to remove it but assume alcohol / water would have been even better. Is that normal?

Can someone help me make sense of the rest of the Menzerna line of polishes? In the past Ive used Optimum, Meg`s, Sonus, Wolfgang, 3m, etc but I think I really like the Menzerna products. I also would like to find something a little stronger the IP for those deeper scratches but that isnt super harsh or abrasive in removing clear coat. Would using the IP with a wool pad on the rotary provide the extra cut needed for deeper blemishes?

SuperBee364
11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Chuck, welcome back! :)

It sounds like you have some soft clearcoat on the Mountaineer. IP, in spite of the name, really isn`t that harsh of a polish. More along the lines of a "medium polish" rather than a compound. The finish it left you with makes me think you have a pretty soft clear coat. It`s great to hear that FP cleaned up the mess, but...(there`s always a but, isn`t there?)...

While you were gone, you missed a very entertaining thread on how Menz polishes can leave oils (as you noticed) that have a tendency to cover up marring. Yeah, you definitely should have followed the FP up with a few good IPA wipe downs. It is a very common complaint to hear guys talk about how awesome their paint looked after using (insert name of Menz polish here), just to have the defects return a few days to a few weeks later. The oils the Menz polishes leave behind can be very hard to remove. IPA is a good place to start, but PrepSol, PrepWash (and the like) are probably a better thing to use *before* the IPA wipe.

Unfortunately, many Menz products have picked up additional names, depending on who is selling their products. This has made the already confusing Menz naming system even more confusing. In most cases, it`s best to go by the Menz polish number, instead of the product name.

Making sense of the Menz line up:

Power Gloss is their heavy hitter. It`s a good compound, but you`ll be over whelmed with dust. Most guys have shelved their PG in favor of Meg`s M105. This is one of the few that hasn`t been renamed a bunch of times by various retailers.

Menz Super Intensive Polish (PO85RD3.02) has equivalent cut to their regular IP, but is made to work on hard clear coats. This is a very good polish, but can be quite finicky to use. However, it`s a darn fine polish (when you can get it to work right), and leaves a great finish, especially when you see how much correcting power it has.

Menz Intensive Polish is anything *but* intensive. Most guys use it as a medium weight polish on medium to soft clear coats. Mild correcting ability, and it`s gotta be worked quite a while to get a decent finish out of it. If it leaves compounding marks, haze, etc., you can bet you are using it on a soft clear coat, as it will finish out *very* nicely on harder clears, but you won`t get much in the way of correction out of it on harder clears. I haven`t seen a different name for this one (yet).

Menz Power Finish (PO203S) is a relatively new polish. I`ve only used it a couple times. It has almost the correcting ability of SIP, but finishes down even better... it finishes off well enough that you can go straight to either a jeweling polish or even an LSP. Finishes off best on medium and hard clears, but of course it has better correcting power on softer clears. It still finishes off pretty darn nice on softer clears, just not like it does on hard stuff.

PO106FF and PO106FA. Various names for these two polishes, so go by the menz part numbers. I`ve used these two polishes a ton, and honestly, I can`t determine much difference between the two. They are very light polishes, meant to be used on hard clear coats. They work well on medium clears, too, but can make a mess out of soft clears. They are very good finishing polishes, capable of cleaning up light compounding marks. They finish off to a great shine.

Menz PO85RD (you`ll find it under various names, so go by the PO85RD number, instead) is very similar to FPII, but it`s made for hard clear coats. This is pretty much a jeweling polish. No real bite, but it can make hard clears shine like a jewel. Pretty much considered to be a jeweling polish only, as it has no real correcting ability. On medium clears, you`ll get some correction with it. Not much, but a little. It doesn`t work well on really soft clears. Save this for medium and hard clears.

Menz FP (PO85U) is a good finishing polish, used on medium and soft clears. Has just a bit more cut than FPII (FPII has more than one name, too.. get to that in a sec). Finishes off very well, but don`t expect much cutting power on harder clears.

Menz Final Polish II has picked up at least one other name, so again, go by the part number of PO87MC when you go to buy it. I think most guys around here still refer to it as FPII, though. This is one of my all time favorite "jeweling" polishes. It pretty much has zero correcting power, but it can gloss up a paint to a level I have yet to see any other polish achieve.

Well, that`s the full version.... the short story...

Think of SIP, PO85RD and PO106FF (or FA) as primarily being used for hard clear coats. SIP is often used to correct softer clears with good results. PO106FF (or FA) are used as finishing polishes on medium and hard clear coats. 106 can clean up compounding marks, 85RD can not. Save the 106 and 85RD for medium and hard clears. Used on soft clears, they can make a real mess.

IP, FP, FPII are very good polishes for soft clears. I think there are still quite a few guys that use them as their "go to" products for soft clears. I know I do. On Honda paint, BMW Jet Black, and equivalently soft clears, they are really hard to beat.

Most guys have switched over to Megs M105 and Megs M205 for their compound and light polishes. Do a bit of reading up on them, and you`ll see why.

But on softer clears, I still think that the Menz IP, FP, and FPII are the way to go.

Hope this doesn`t confuse you even more....

--Supe

Edit: Going over this post, it still seems a bit confusing. Gonna try and sum it up a littler more clearly...

Heavy Polish:
Menzerna Power Gloss.

Medium Polishes:
For Hard and Medium Clears:
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (PO85RD3.02)

For Medium and Soft Clears:
Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna Power Finish

Light Polishes:
PO106FF and PO106FA

Menzerna Final Polish

Jeweling Polishes:
PO85RD

Menzerna Final Polish II (PO87MC)

Final Edit: I think every guy here should, at least once, take a few hours and use the appropriate Jeweling polish on their own personal car. Get your paint perfect using your favorite light polish (like M205, or what not), then if you have hard paint, get a small bottle of PO85RD. If your paint is on the soft side, get a small bottle of FPII. Spend a few hours jeweling your paint. Use a zero bite pad, and use a rotary if you have one. One application is good, but more is better. Don`t worry about removing too much clear; these polishes are so mild you could polish constantly for a year and not remove much clear coat. Just be careful about heating the paint too much. The gloss you`ll get is nothing short of amazing. You`ll hate to even cover it up with an LSP, it`ll look so good. Make sure you do a thorough IPA wipe down afterward.

Alexshimshimhae
11-14-2010, 11:16 AM
...WOW.....you`re the man

stiffdogg06
11-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I love PO85RD on my TL`s paint.

imported_gusbubba
11-14-2010, 07:43 PM
SuperBee,

Thank You a TON for that info!

I`ve been looking into Menz. polishes lately and have been confused by their name/number system.....as have others, I believe.

Very helpful post......appreciate it.

SuperBee364
11-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Anytime. :)

Long time Menzerna fan, and I know how confusing their line up can be. Hope I didn`t confuse anyone.

--Supe

gigondaz
11-15-2010, 05:24 AM
SuperBee.....if ever there was a "Mother-Of-All Menzerna Summaries", your write-up above wins the Trophy!!!!

Your writing style is concise, a pleasure to read and easy to digest.

As a hardcore Menzerna user (daily, in my shop!), I agree with your inputs above.

Great stuff! Thanks!

LightngSVT
11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
SuperBee, you sir are the man! Wow, what a great post, thanks! Pretty much answered all of my Menzerna q`s and gave me new products to look into (M105/205).

I totally agree that the paint on this (6 month) new 2010 Mountaineer is extremely soft, it seems to scratch if you look at it sideways! LOL. Some areas did take 2 applications of FP (or is it FPII, Ill have to look I guess) to remove the marring / haze so I hope that the FP actually did remove the marring. Regardless, it now has 2 coats of Collinite 476 and 1 coat of Sovereign on it and looks pretty amazing. I cannot see any marring under any light right now so Ill just be happy cuz this is probably it until spring unless we get some mild weather in the next few months.

This week I plan to work on my silver 06 330i, it seems to have pretty hard clear coat. So I wonder how how the IP / FP will work?

gigondaz
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
...... plan to work on my silver 06 330i, it seems to have pretty hard clear coat

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/PB140188.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/PB140194.jpg

My mother`s "new" used car, and it`s a personal import from Australia, where it has been re-sprayed before many years ago by a family friend there.

What I did:

1. Megs 105

2. Menzerna 106FF

3. Menzerna PO85RD for jewelling.

4. Washed with Dawn in preparation for Zaino. Then, the above pic was taken.

Tomorrow, if I hv the time, I`ll put on 3 layers of Zaino Z2Pro+ZFX catalyst.

SuperBee364
11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Glad to see it wasn`t as confusing as I thought it was. :O

Honestly, I`ve never had that great of luck using Menz polishes and a PC. Their hard clear polishes notwithstanding, the rest of the Menz lineup is pretty gentle; to get decent cutting power, they kinda need the power of the rotary. I always use my Flex 3403 (great choice for us guys with back problems, huh? ;) ) rotary when I`m using Menz stuff. I`d give the IP/FP combo a try on the 330i with the rotary and see how it works. Might want to consider nothing more than a light cutting pad (like LC orange, or equivalent) for the IP, then switch to a zero bite pad to get the FP or FPII to finish off to an amazing gloss.

But I gotta be totally honest...if that car was in my garage, I`d go with M105 (if needed), and M205 via PC. Then follow it up with a good jeweling using FPII (or 85rd if it was a hard clear) using the rotary and a zero bite pad.

It`s seriously amazing how easy it is to get fast, great results (using a PC!) with M105/M205. These two polishes have pretty much re-valued the PC as a *serious* detailing tool. M105 will cut through the yuckiest marring with a PC and a light cutting pad incredibly fast on all but the hardest clears. It works great on hard clears, too, it just takes a bit more effort. M205 is capable of cleaning up after M105 very quickly. Although I`ve never been able to get M205 to finish out holo free with a rotary, it`ll give a great finish on most clears with a PC. If your clear is really soft, M205 won`t finish down that great, so you`d have to follow it with FP (by rotary) afterward (but on the BMW, I don`t think it would be a problem, at all.)

M105 (if needed)/M205 by PC might very well give you all you need on the BMW. The FPII (or 85rd) would just be the proverbial icing.

Accumulator
11-15-2010, 01:23 PM
SuperBee364- A big "thank you!" from me, too...that Menzerna summary is great :xyxthumbs

SuperBee364
11-15-2010, 03:38 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/PB140188.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/PB140194.jpg

My mother`s "new" used car, and it`s a personal import from Australia, where it has been re-sprayed before many years ago by a family friend there.

What I did:

1. Megs 105

2. Menzerna 106FF

3. Menzerna PO85RD for jewelling.

4. Washed with Dawn in preparation for Zaino. Then, the above pic was taken.

Tomorrow, if I hv the time, I`ll put on 3 layers of Zaino Z2Pro+ZFX catalyst.

That process is *outstanding* for medium and hard clears. One of the best around, IMO. I imagine you probably used a rotary for the whole process?

SuperBee364- A big "thank you!" from me, too...that Menzerna summary is great :xyxthumbs

Thank you, sir. Where`s that blush smilie??

Accumulator
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Insert my usual concerns regarding the 106FF`s filling abilities here. If using it after something like M105 I`d sure do a PrepWash/etc. wipe to make sure there won`t be any surprises later. If using it after some finer product I might not bother, but in that case I wouldn`t be surprised if the gloss dropped off as the oils dissipated (and the ones in 106FF are among the ones that do dissipate under a still-OK LSP). Yeah, yeah, I *am* a broken record on this subject :o (heh heh, *there`s* that blush smilie!).

Oh, and does anybody remember which version of 106 is sold under the BlackFire name?

mystickid
11-16-2010, 01:08 AM
@Superbee, Thanks for taking the time to write that.

A question... I have both Power finish and 85rd. Just did half my black car with these two and gloss is good.

WOuld adding FPII in between powerfinish and the 85rd give me even more popping gloss?

I used PF on an Tangerine H20 Pad and 85rd on a LC Black Flat pad... Both via flex.

SuperBee364
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Insert my usual concerns regarding the 106FF`s filling abilities here. If using it after something like M105 I`d sure do a PrepWash/etc. wipe to make sure there won`t be any surprises later. If using it after some finer product I might not bother, but in that case I wouldn`t be surprised if the gloss dropped off as the oils dissipated (and the ones in 106FF are among the ones that do dissipate under a still-OK LSP). Yeah, yeah, I *am* a broken record on this subject :o (heh heh, *there`s* that blush smilie!).

Oh, and does anybody remember which version of 106 is sold under the BlackFire name?

Yeah, it`s Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish. this stuff (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/blscreclfipo.html)

Edit: D`oh, was thinking you were asking which *Blackfire* polish it was, but my reading comprehension ain`t what it used to be... you`re asking which version of *Menzerna* is re-branded as Blackfire. It used to be PO106FF, but I believe 106FF has officially been superseded by 106FA. Not completely sure on that, gonna have to do a bit of research...

@Superbee, Thanks for taking the time to write that.

A question... I have both Power finish and 85rd. Just did half my black car with these two and gloss is good.

WOuld adding FPII in between powerfinish and the 85rd give me even more popping gloss?

I used PF on an Tangerine H20 Pad and 85rd on a LC Black Flat pad... Both via flex.

85rd and FPII are both jeweling polishes. 85RD for hard and medium clears, FPII for medium and soft clears. Even though the Menzerna chart shows FPII to have a gloss level of 4.5, and 85rd to have a gloss level of 5, IME they are the same, as long as you use them on the clear coats they are intended for. If I was working a clear coat where 85rd and FPII were *both* working well on them, I`d opt for the 85rd over the FPII. It`ll bring your paint to max gloss faster than FPII, and has a longer over all working time. However, 85rd simply doesn`t play well with softer clear coats. If 85RD just refuses to amp the gloss, switch to FPII and use it, instead.