PDA

View Full Version : Does expensive wax really make a difference?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

<"//><
11-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I see alot of people talking about using expensive waxes. Does this really make your car look better and if so does this difference wash away after the 1st or 2nd wash anyways?

Jean-Claude
11-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I`ll save this answer for someone who has used $7k wax.

Paging John Kleven...

<"//><
11-13-2010, 08:41 PM
$7000? I`d sure like to hear (and see) how that would be worth it. Is it 200+ times better than a good $20 or $30 one?

stiffdogg06
11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
What`s expensive to you? Expensive may be 2k to someone but not to someone else...

I`ve used Swissvax Concorso which is in the $250+ range which is expensive to me, for a wax. Plus, it depends on the "look" you`re after. Natty Blue and Pinnacle Souveran both make my black paint look dripping "wet". Concorso on the other hand, made it very "clear" and almost glass like. Also, I think the Concorse cleans VERY WELL, like the dirt can`t even stick to it. Lastly, the beading effect it has is awesome. :)

I may not be the best to answer this, as there are users who has used multiple $1000 waxes. FMINUS comes to mind.

eyezack87
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Waxes have their own unique looks despite what people say. I`ve split my entire car into 4 sections from back to front and compared similar priced ones and saw a difference in looks in all of them. Each had their own unique characteristics as well. Some might not notice anything but the difference is there.

Alexshimshimhae
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
kind of interested in how this turns out--because there has been a plethora of arguments over the notion that most waxes only really have (aesthetically) minimal differences as far as looks go.

in terms of protection, there`s UV and repelling (of dirt and water) as well as the other contaminants; longevity also comes to mind

I haven`t really seen much in the ways of longevity differences most die out by month 3 or 6 (obviously there are going to be people who consistently reach longer, but YMMV)

So I mean....for ME, I feel like it`s greatly a marketing thing(Kind of like putting real gold flakes in your food). That is not to say that the expensive products are complete bupkis,(especially since I`ve never personally tried the elite tier stuff) because for the price people pay, for it not to perform--you just can`t stay in business...

Accum`s story comes to mind.

Scottwax
11-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Wax won`t make nearly the difference that proper claying and polishing will, no matter how expensive it is. Like Mike Phillips likes to say, find something you like and use it often.

ltebow34
11-14-2010, 04:55 AM
No it makes no difference. The best result I get has been coming from 4-5 sealant and waxes that are some of the least expensive you will find per application. Any time you search what I use, if I listed, you would find everyone agree on results. everything I use is very durable because it is paint prep that matters for the look.

Preparation of paint, claying and polish like scottwax say is what makes difference in look.

Dan
11-14-2010, 10:38 AM
To me, expensive is over $50, over $200 in my book is ridiculous. If you are comparing waxes on perfect paint, yes there is a difference, but to your point, most of that disappears after the first or second rain/wash. It seems like the more expensive the wax, the less durable it is. That said, for those saying its all in the prep, I really beg to differ. You can get a great deal of additional depth and glow from a carnauba that you just can`t get with any prep work.

I`ve used some of the mid range Zymols and CG stuff and Pinnacle as well as lots of everyday bargain waxes. If you want that initial hit of wow, you will get it with something expensive. However for daily drivers, those looks are gone fast and it seems like the more expensive the wax, the more oil rich, and the more it attracts dirt. That said, if you love waxes, you should try Natty`s Blue, Autoglym HD, CG50/50, and Pinnacle (in that order) before you go nuts and order something more expensive.

Jean-Claude
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
It would have nothing to do with being any times better. It`s about if it offers something no one else does.

A f430 isn`t 3 times faster than a z06 is it? A Veyron is not 14 times faster than a z06 is it? They sure cost multiple times more than a z06 but they are different and you can`t get what a Ferrari or Bugatti offers in a z06 so if you want it, you gotta pay it cause you`re not getting it anywhere else.

$7000? I`d sure like to hear (and see) how that would be worth it. Is it 200+ times better than a good $20 or $30 one?

akimel
11-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I am absolutely convinced that 99% of "look" is prep. I have tried many different waxes on my solid black S2K but the single biggest improvement in gloss, shine, gloss, and wetness came when my car was finely polished. But that being said, I think (I think) that I saw a subtle difference in the paint when I applied, on different occasions, Vintage and Souveran, as compared to other protectants I have used. I think. But as others have noted, this difference (if it in fact exists and is not a figment of my imagination) disappears after the first wash, if not sooner. With all respect to eyezack87, I am dubious whether 99% of folks could discern, would discern, can discern any difference whatsoever between waxes on a well-prepped hood. I certainly do not question, sir, that you saw a difference, but I do question whether most of us would see a difference in a blind test. And I have tried my share of good carnauba waxes (Vintage, Souveran, Fuzion, SV Best of Show, Midnight Sun, Harly Wax). As I said, I think I saw a subtle difference with Vintage and Souveran, but I cannot swear to it. I love Fuzion but I bet that in a blind test most (all?) folks could not tell the difference between a car that has been waxed with Fuzion and a car that has been sealed with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Last week I sold my unopened tub of 50/50. Why? Because I finally realized that the quest for the holy wax-grail is futile and utterly subjective. No matter what wax I use, my cars look great, as long as I have prepped them properly. I`m sure 50/50 is a wonderful wax (and I regret that I never tried it), but I`m even more convinced that I will be just as happy with the waxes I have already tried and own. I just hope that AutoGeek is still around to refill my tub of Fuzion, should I live long enough to use up my present tub. :)

And having said that ... I still have unopened tubs of Victoria Concours Red and Lusso Oro, both of which I intend to use next spring/summer. Perhaps they will convince me that a real difference exists between good waxes ... but I doubt it.

My name is Al ... and I am a recovering wax addict.

stiffdogg06
11-14-2010, 10:07 PM
That 1% can make all the difference. ;)

imported_Picus
11-14-2010, 11:07 PM
It would have nothing to do with being any times better. It`s about if it offers something no one else does.

A f430 isn`t 3 times faster than a z06 is it? A Veyron is not 14 times faster than a z06 is it? They sure cost multiple times more than a z06 but they are different and you can`t get what a Ferrari or Bugatti offers in a z06 so if you want it, you gotta pay it cause you`re not getting it anywhere else.

^^^^^ +1.

"Worth" is relative, always has been and always will be.

gigondaz
11-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Waxes have their own unique looks despite what people say. I`ve split my entire car into 4 sections from back to front and compared similar priced ones and saw a difference in looks in all of them. Each had their own unique characteristics as well. Some might not notice anything but the difference is there.

:p:p:p You shd`ve asked someone to do that experiment on your car without telling you what was done. Then, when you see the car....I`m sure the results would be interesting.

I`ve done lots of blind tests on nuba`ed cars and my test subjects were always car club members who`re very fussy about their cars. In most of the tests, I was surprised by the response..........:)

gigondaz
11-15-2010, 07:39 AM
.......Does this really make your car look better.....

"Better" is a very subjective word.

Pro detailers look at a detailed car and efficacy of detailing products in ways and perspectives that could be wildly different from how you look at things.

Do you think Prince Charles` Camilla is beautiful?????

To my customers, a SHINY detailed car is a nice car. Some use the word "glossy".

To a layman, the presence of lots of reflections gives the impression of "shine/gloss".

I have seldom seen a lay person (no knowledge in detailing) appraising a detailed car in terms of depth, richness, warmth etc. It`s almost always the "shine":)

Think of a professional wine taster or sommelier vs the occasional wine drinker.

That`s why, when you put a detailed black car next to a detailed silver car, most laymen would be instantly (mainly) attracted to the black one. Lots of reflections = shiny!

To me, the price of the wax is irrelevant.

If it produces the looks that puts a smile on your face (without you knowing what product it is....very important), it`s YOUR product and you shd use it consistently.

The trick is to nullify any psychological biasness due to any prior knowledge..and you`ll be surprised!

I`m a heavy Swissvax user, and based solely on my blind-testing conducted over the years, I ended up using only Swissvax Onyx and Concorso exclusively from the Swissvax range. If the series of blind-testing revealed that my customers and fanatical detailing friends could not see any significant differences, then this is the ONLY truth for me.

I also blind-tested loads of Dodo Juice stuff.....and based on car club detailing fanatics and enthusiast customers, I ended up buying and using only Dodo Orange Crush.

Don`t ask me why....I ONLY believe the results of non-biased, blind tests:):):)