PDA

View Full Version : Paint feels smooth, looks wavy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheOther1
11-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi all!

I have a 2011 Volvo XC60. I washed it today, clay barred it and finished with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 This is the first time I have used a clay bar. The paint feels amazingly smooth, but I see distorted reflections:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3007/reflection1.th.jpg (http://img818.imageshack.us/i/reflection1.jpg/)

I have not seen it in the daylight yet, but I would imagine it`s no better. Any suggestions? I do not have any orbital buffers or anything like that, just good old fashioned elbow grease, so I guess that limits what I can do.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you may have!

Toymachine2009
11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I think that`s orange peel there

TheOther1
11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
What can I do about it? It`s only a week old!!

Toymachine2009
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Nothing you can do about orange peel it comes with factory paint jobs. 99 percent of cars come with it. Each car varries though in how much it has.. Only way to remove it is wetsand then compound which I don`t suggest doing especially how new the car is.

gigondaz
11-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Most factory paints have orange-peel.

Without any sanding and buffing machines, you can`t do anything about it.

Anyway, the clearcoat might be too thin for any serious sanding to be done.

In your photo (assuming the focus is spot-on), I think the main problem is blurness.. The fluorescent light looks pretty straight, though of course, not 100%.

It might be something similar to this:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/Picture1.jpg

There`s orange peel of course, but the main problem is blurness and "darkness" of the reflections. Compounding can certainly help to improve things. But once sanding has been done (LOL...I can feel Accumulator going "uurrgghhh!":lol)...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/plutoII/misc076.jpg

Accumulator
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
... once sanding has been done (LOL...I can feel Accumulator going "uurrgghhh!":lol)...

Heh heh, yeah....guess I`m getting my opinions on clearcoat thickness across :chuckle:

IMO if you want orangepeel-free paint on a new car you oughta buy a Bentley (though not all of *those* are 100% either now that they`re not doing everything by hand any more, so make that a pre-1998 Bentley).

Barry Theal
11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
1500, 3000, some compound and polish and your rockin and rolling orange peel free! Lots of orange peel there. You have lots of room to sand on that. I will suggest getting a paint thickness gauge.

TheOther1
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow. Thanks for the replies, everyone. At the risk of sounding completely stupid; orange peel is paint applied unevenly, but my clear coat evens it out so it feels smooth? Sounds like without proper tools and experience, I can`t get rid of it.

I`m guessing 1500 and 3000 are sanding grits? I don`t think I could bring myself to do it.

In the SE US area, approx. how much would it cost to have someone fix the orange peel? I can`t swing even a down payment on a Bentley, pre or post `98.

stiffdogg06
11-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Not worth it on a factory paint job... It`s thin enough already. Plus, being silver it doesn`t show that bad...

mitsuman47
11-11-2010, 08:08 PM
At the risk of sounding completely stupid; orange peel is paint applied unevenly, but my clear coat evens it out so it feels smooth?

I`ve been wondering the same thing. I`ve read that orange peel is from the paint being applied unevenly, yet people sand the clear coat to make the orange peel "go away."

Anyone care to explain how that works?

Toymachine2009
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I`ve been wondering the same thing. I`ve read that orange peel is from the paint being applied unevenly, yet people sand the clear coat to make the orange peel "go away."

Anyone care to explain how that works?

It`s not the PAINT that has the orange peel it`s the clear coat hence it`s correctable.. If that was your paint then nothing you can do. I believe it`s the drying process I think that gives the clear that orange peel look.

AeroCleanse
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Clearcoat is PAINT just without pigment.

Scottwax
11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Not worth it on a factory paint job... It`s thin enough already. Plus, being silver it doesn`t show that bad...

Agreed, not worth reducing clear coat thickness on a daily driver.

imported_Picus
11-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I`m a little surprised you`ve never noticed this on cars before? Orange peel like that is present on literally, 99.999 (probably a lot more 9s, actually) of modern mass produced cars. Actually, the picture you posted looks, ime, better than average for OEM orange peel.

AeroCleanse
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Agreed, not worth reducing clear coat thickness on a daily driver.

Not unless you have a PTG and know your stuff.