PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Z2 on single stage paint? Cleaning effect?

Dan
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I`m working on an experiment and ran into a strange issue. Has anyone used Z2 on single stage paint? I polished the surface with UNO/P085RD until it was as glossy as could be, dawn washed it afterwards. When applying Z2 I am getting significant paint transfer to my applicator. I get no paint transfer with 845IW and KSG. Not using excessive pressure or anything either. I was just surprised, I thought Z2 didn`t have any cleaners or abrasives in it?

salty
11-09-2010, 07:44 PM
It has a strong solvent in it, and the solvent is removing some paint. Noticed it removes tar quite well.

Dan
11-09-2010, 07:47 PM
It has a strong solvent in it, and the solvent is removing some paint. Noticed it removes tar quite well.

Ahh, cool, I thought I might have had a bad bottle or it was somehow ZAIO miscolored and mislabeled.

wannafbody
11-09-2010, 08:41 PM

That is contrary to everything I`ve ever read about Z2pro, including posts by David Bynon.

Cleaning Fool
11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I`ve used Z2 on my old conversion van for 8 years and it worked just great on single stage. When I sold it with 170k and 10 years of driving, the paint still looked as good as the day I drove it home.

imported_Bert
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Wouldn`t that strong solvent prevent Zaino from layering like it is so famous for?

Dan
11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Wouldn`t that strong solvent prevent Zaino from layering like it is so famous for?

I would say so. With the SS I`m dealing with, I keep getting paint transfer on subsequent layers (24 hours cure time in between, and initially applied ZAIO).

gmblack3
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Have used Z2/5pro on single stage paint at least 25 times, never had this issue.

salty
11-12-2010, 10:58 AM
While my strong solvent comment might not be entirely correct, I have noticed Z2 removes tar easily. Maybe the Aliphatic hydrocarbons (which could mean many different compounds) are dialed in to serve a purpose, like cleaning the paint.

As far as single stage paint, some solvents will continue to remove paint, even after a good compound. I just finished compounding a plane, to my knowledge it was painted with Imron paint. Even after 2 to 3 passes with wool, the only solvent the didn`t continue to remove paint was 70% IPA.

wannafbody
11-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Every product has some type of chemical solvent. Zaino uses highly refined ones. Z2pro wasn`t designed for single stage paint-Z3 was. There must be something different about Z3 but I have no clue as to what.

Scottwax
11-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Other than the wipe on and walk away sealants, every LSP I`ve ever used has at least some paint transfer to the applicator when applied to single stage paint.