PDA

View Full Version : How to remove diesel from interior?

smokinfastlegen
11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
A friend of mine was a victim of vandalism and had probably 5 gallons of diesel spread inside of his Toyota Tundra. What would you recommend to get rid of the smell? All i have is a Rigid vacuum and a bissel little green machine.

Any help is appreciated.

Toymachine2009
11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
well first things first. i would deep clean everything. Leather and shampoo mats and carpet. Use the little green machine to extract the water...

Then if all traces of diesel are gone yet the smell is still there some kind of odor bomb or something. I have not tried this yet but i want to soon.

Odor Bomb (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/odor-bomb.html)

salty
11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Make an insurance claim first. Remove all liquid. Saturate with a carpet cleaning solvent- remove/extract. Saturate with APC-remove/extract Do it three times and it should be close to clean. Wet with Odorcide or Scoe 10x. But being 5 gallons you will probably have to strip the interior.

FDNY1075
11-09-2010, 12:56 AM
You could light a match... That would get rid of it rather quickly.

imported_Prestige Detail
11-09-2010, 01:30 AM
You could light a match... That would get rid of it rather quickly.

First thought that crossed my mind.

gigondaz
11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
1. Remove master carpet from vehicle. Spray WD40 over every inch of carpet. Leave it for 10mins. It`ll "dislodge" the diesel from carpet fibres. Brush and spray more WD40.

2. Spray full-strength APC and scrub.

3. Pressure wash thoroughly, and repeat the APC to remove all the WD40 from carpet. Pressure wash again.

4. Extract as much water from carpet. Dry under sun for a few days.

S&S Detailing
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
well first things first. i would deep clean everything. Leather and shampoo mats and carpet. Use the little green machine to extract the water...

Then if all traces of diesel are gone yet the smell is still there some kind of odor bomb or something. I have not tried this yet but i want to soon.

Odor Bomb (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/odor-bomb.html)

I`ve used that bomb before, it definitely is a strong smell, but I have a feeling that it will smell like diesel and air freshsner when your done.....

Maybe a deionizer would dampen the smell, that sucks a lot :bat

gigondaz
11-10-2010, 05:22 AM
I`ve used that bomb before, it definitely is a strong smell, but I have a feeling that it will smell like diesel and air freshsner when your done.....

Maybe a deionizer would dampen the smell, that sucks a lot :bat

Pour lots of baking soda onto the carpet, brush it in well.

Leave the baking soda on the carpet 24hrs. next day, vacuum thoroughly.

mdbohica
11-10-2010, 06:06 AM
The WD-40 process sounds like it could work the best. But seriously, I think his time would be better spent hunting down the sonofabich that did this and have him suck out the diesel with his lips. Seriously, I would be in a court room explaining to the jury why his body was in my trunk...ZOMG

mitsuman47
11-10-2010, 08:27 AM
I`l probably buy new carpet. I`d hate to waste the other carpet, but I doubt you`ll ever get ALL the smell out of it.

smokinfastlegen
11-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. The owner of the truck runs a local golf course and just built a new club house (that also contained his residence.) On his property he had about 80 gallons of diesel fuel, and one night while he was away, some SOB`s tried to torch the place and his truck. Unfortunately for him diesel doesnt burn so well as gasoline, so the fire didnt get very far, but he cant live there now since the smell is overwhelming.

What i may do is see how difficult it is to remove the carpet and let me see if i can have the truck for several days to pressure wash and use baking soda on it. Than maybe an odor bomb.

salty
11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
"What i may do is see how difficult it is to remove the carpet and let me see if i can have the truck for several days to pressure wash and use baking soda on it. Than maybe an odor bomb."

When that doesn`t work, try what I said.

Alexshimshimhae
11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I think gigondaz has the right idea, my only concern then is the runoff from cleaning the thing...(that`s a lot of petroleum draining...) I`m not quite sure what you`re getting out of this deal but for you to get it out, It`s certainly going to be a a hell of a project..

The WD certainly should help clean out the petrolem and the APC`s the wd should give you less problems.

I would also look into something like Oil Eating Microbes for Safe Oil Spill Cleaning and Bioremediation (http://microbes.wonderchem.com/) mind you, you`re going to have to do your hw and look up other products as this is just a random one I pulled off google, but it MAY save you some grief to have something like this take care of it for you.

I would imagine for the upholstery that you can manage to take off/out, you can maybe soak it in a tank with these petroleum eating microbes/bacteria (assuming you find one safe for the materials) so you can focus more on cleaning out the actual car which imo might be more of a hassle (aside from maybe the seats).

It IS possible to get the diesel smell out, but man do you have to be thorough.

I`m expert, but I would say a modified "gigondaz approach" should be just where you need to head.