PDA

View Full Version : Tips for non-metallic paint?

cjv998
11-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2001 Miata SE in British Racing Green. The paint is just straight base coat/clear coat gloss paint (no metallic or pearl or anything). This is the first car I`ve owned with "regular" (non-metallic) paint. I`ve seen some amazing results for gloss paint like this, but I`m not sure how to go about getting those results.

I`ve polished a section of the trunk lid (SIP/ff106 on LC orange and white pads), and while I removed about 80% of the swirls, the paint just didn`t have the amazing depth and luster that I`ve seen people achieve on here - it looked very "flat" and 2-dimensional. Does a high-quality LSP really make that much of a difference on non-metallic paint, or is there something else I`m missing? Maybe I need another final light polishing step or something?

Any other tips/advice on making gloss paint look its best? Thanks!

Oh, and one more quick question: what products will work well on the convertible top? It`s a tan "canvas-look" textured vinyl.

Accumulator
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
cjv998- A few thoughts come to mind:

I don`t know from that particular paint (maybe somebody here has done a few of `em), but maybe it just isn`t a "mile deep" type of paint, nonmetallic or not :nixweiss

If the residual marring is really "swirls" as opposed to (too deep for safe removal) RIDS, then fixing that will make a huge difference.

Picking the right LSP *can* make a difference IMO (if only to some extent) and I`d go with something that`s generally known for "depth and jetting" (e.g., Meg`s #26 over a glaze) instead of something that`s really "sealanty" (e.g., FK1000P).

Sorry, can`t help with the convertible top (haven`t had a ragtop since the early `80s).

cjv998
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
All the marring looks like regular swirls, with the exception of one chip in the paint on the right rear quarter panel (I have touch up paint for it, but I`m thinking of getting one of the Langka chip repair kits as well). I`ve got Vanilla Moose that I may try out on the car...come to think of it, I have their Red Moose glaze too. Hmm, may have to give that a shot.

I see some people using the 303 top cleaner, I might go with some of that. I just want something to clean it up and make it look a little newer (it has some shiny spots on it near the corners of the frame).

Accumulator
11-04-2010, 11:18 AM
cvj998- I`d do a little more correction before trying the VM, but that`s just me and you do want to consider clearcoat thickness.

Those shiny spots on the top might be from normal wear and hence something you`ll have to live with.

cjv998
11-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say was "once I finish polishing the car, I`ll go to the VM." I was just polishing on the trunk to see what would work well for me first.

Accumulator
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
cjv998- Ah, OK, copy that. Some people get a bit of correction out of the VM, maybe it`ll do that for you.

cjv998
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Any more opinions on this? I was hoping to get some more feedback.

Dr Oldz
12-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I worked a Miata a little while ago in red and I found that the paint just didn`t have the capabilities of that ultra wet deep look! The car did come out great and the best combo I found was 85rd as a final polish with a black pad and I topped it off with 845 and that added a nice gloss to the car!