PDA

View Full Version : Another wheel brush besides e-z detail

solekeeper
10-31-2010, 01:08 AM
I purchased an e-z detailer brush, the one everyone on this forum seems to have.. lol

And it`s been about 4 months of light useage, and now the neck of it has come apart.. I guess from flexing too much? From the getgo it didn`t look like a brush that could flex all that much.. anyone have another alternative for a good FLEXIBLE wheel brush?

steelwind101
10-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah i had this happen too. I went for the smaller one last time and it has lasted longer, i think its called the "mini". Return and say your not happy and you might get a replacement.

wascallyrabbit
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
i like the ace power stick much better and has lasted much longer so far going on about two years. not as flexible as the ez or daytona.

Toymachine2009
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Considering purchasing dayton a since it`s on sale at autogeek anyone have experience with it is itmgood or bad?

Kean
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Considering purchasing dayton a since it`s on sale at autogeek anyone have experience with it is itmgood or bad?

I would assume it`s characteristics are similar if not the same as the EZ Detail. I just replaced mu EZD after a couple of years of service (the handle finally broke). I`m hoping the new one will not break prematurely. Personally, I like it. It works well on the inner drum as well as the spokes depending on the wheel.

solekeeper
11-01-2010, 12:05 AM
i have e46m3 19` wheels, so you guys know what a pain in the *** those are to clean. Thanks for the replies, anything else out there?

steelwind, if worst comes to worst I`ll just get the mini..

Toymachine2009
11-01-2010, 01:34 AM
So after reading upon both ez detail one and daytona there are pros and cons to both.. I never owned either this is just what I read on various forums about them.

Ez detail... Has more firm bristles making it clean easier than daytona because daytonas are on the soft side. But from every post I read on the ez is it will last between 3-6 months then breaks a lot of people bought multiple just for that reason.. Kean you are lucky to get a few years out of yours I have not read that anyone has had theirs last that long..

I`m still stuck on what to get..

Accumulator
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
This might be a completely worthless post, but having been *NOT* impressed by my EZ brushes (OK, they can be handy for doing stuff like coil springs and getting into tight undercarriage areas), I simply never use them for wheels and I do OK :nixweiss I just reach around with little mitts/sponges/BHBs/swabs. I mean, with the exception of the beater-Audi`s BBS wheels, I do the back sides/barrels/etc. every time and I didn`t find the EZ all that great, always had to go back with something else to get that last 5% anyhow.

TLMitchell
11-02-2010, 08:10 PM
I purchased an e-z detailer brush, the one everyone on this forum seems to have.. lol

And it`s been about 4 months of light useage, and now the neck of it has come apart.. I guess from flexing too much? From the getgo it didn`t look like a brush that could flex all that much.. anyone have another alternative for a good FLEXIBLE wheel brush?

Like most everyone else, my 1st EZD broke where the wire enters the handle from repetative flexing. If you think about it, if you wanted to break a coat hanger you`d flex it back n forth until it breaks. One of the prime causes of vigorous flexing was the way I was removing the water after rinsing it out... numerous whips back n forth while holding the handle to let the water fly out. It was flexing severely and repeatedly right at the handle. It was only a matter of time. The Daytona Speedmaster will eventually do the same if treated likewise, even though it`s noticeably stouter.

Now when I whip the water out of the brush I grab up towards the bristles... no flexing at all where the wire enters the handle. I pre-bend the shaft to reach where I need to and am cautious about causing any flex at the critical point. Both the replacement EZD and SM have lasted much longer with no noticeable weakness. The minis seem stouter but there isn`t as much leverage due to the shorter shaft. If repeatedly subjected to vigorous flexing at the critical point I`m sure they`d break too although I`ve yet to hear of anyone breaking a mini EZD.

Once you know the tool needs some cautious usage during use you can avoid subjecting it to the types of things that will shorten it`s life. Yeah, we all wish they were bullet-proof and would stand up to heavy usage better. But for my money they`re the most versatile brushes I own. A little care and caution keeps `em lasting longer.

TL

Legacy
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
For 7 bucks you can`t beat this brush: And I have the EZ and Daytona plus a few others.

Laitner Ergonomic Spoke/ Slot Wheel Brush, spoke wheel brush, narrow wheel brush, wheel cleaning brush (http://www.autogeek.net/laitner-spoke-brush.html)

solekeeper
11-02-2010, 10:59 PM
legacy, is that brush flexible?

thanks for the tip mitchell.

Also since we`re on the topic of brushes, what is a good lug brush? I`ve seen almost everyone using the swissvax one. Looks strong, at least for lugs I don`t need any flex action. Are the bristles tough on it at least?

Chris@Optimum
11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I love the Raceglaze XL for wheel barrels, but it cannot be shaped like the EZD

Legacy
11-03-2010, 12:52 AM
legacy, is that brush flexible?

thanks for the tip mitchell.

Also since we`re on the topic of brushes, what is a good lug brush? I`ve seen almost everyone using the swissvax one. Looks strong, at least for lugs I don`t need any flex action. Are the bristles tough on it at least?

Yes it is flexible. I use two, one that is bent at 45 so I don`t have to keep bending it.

gav'spurplez
11-03-2010, 07:35 AM
For 7 bucks you can`t beat this brush: And I have the EZ and Daytona plus a few others.

Laitner Ergonomic Spoke/ Slot Wheel Brush, spoke wheel brush, narrow wheel brush, wheel cleaning brush (http://www.autogeek.net/laitner-spoke-brush.html)

i think i have this brush, and for as well is it cleans and gets deep inside of the wheels..........IT IS VERY FLIMSY ! it is easily bent of you hit the spindle bolt or some other suspension part....you have to be very careful using it between calipers and the rim.......if you go to fast, it will get stuck and bend