PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Gloss via KAIO after P085RD

mystickid
10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Did a full detail couple mobths back and only have some minor swirls that I`d like to clear and gloss up with 85RD.

85rd--> KAIO--> LSP or

85RD--> LSP

Is KAIO after P085RD a futile step? Will it reduce the jewling gloss from P085RD?

steelwind101
10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi

Was KAIO appied by machine? It would have cleaned up the oils left by 85RD even if it was applied by hand.

Geoff

mystickid
10-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Well KAIO would be done via Machine, yes. But, I will do an IPA wipedown after 85RD..

gigondaz
12-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Did a full detail couple mobths back and only have some minor swirls that I`d like to clear and gloss up with 85RD.

85rd--> KAIO--> LSP or

85RD--> LSP

Is KAIO after P085RD a futile step? Will it reduce the jewling gloss from P085RD?

Depends on:

1. Colour of car

2. Type of LSP - sealant or wax?

If it`s a silver/light coloured car, IMO, KAIO would give a clearer, brighter look...and will probably enable a sealant to bond better.

If it`s a dark coloured car, IMO, 85RD certainly helps deepen/richen the colour, and I won`t wanna disturb the 85RD`s effect. Yes, KAIO can help remove some excess oils...but not all. Much of the 85RD`s looks will still be there.

Dan
12-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I think it does, I recently did a P085rd>IPA>KAIO>KSG and it certainly muted the shine a bit until about layer 3 or 4 with the KSG, then it started coming back. PO85rd is some amazing stuff, its hard to top the looks once you are done with it.

David Fermani
12-19-2010, 11:20 AM

I`d skip it and just do a Dawn wash and then a Alcohol wipe. Any alteration in appearance that you get from before this to after is just you removing the polishing oils in 85rd.

wfedwar
12-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Can`t say about KAIO specifically, but I`ve seen Prime Strong for sure add micromarring to soft paint when it`s used following a fine polish. I haven`t seen it with Prime Acrylic, and I`ve gathered from other people`s discussions that KAIO may fall somewhere between these.

SATracker
12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I like the results I get with KAIO. I use it after Menzerna to get all the oils off so that the sealant has a cleaner surface. But I do this as a hobby so i can take time & possibly be redundant. My current project is a 10 yr old GMC truck, never been detailed, outside 99% of the time. I`ll use 2 coats of KAIO and 2 coats of KSG. I`m experimenting with various pads & products on this project. I`ve become less enthusiastic about LC gray pads and am starting to really like the new hydro pads; the maroon works very nicely with KSG. You might try experimenting with pads and products. I found this out on my RAV4. I used Menzerna 85 on an LC gray pad and it seemed to leave some slight swirls, but the maroon left a flawless finish.