PDA

View Full Version : KAIO AND Collinite / Prepping for winter

kdlp
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
My weekend game plan is to get my pickup ready for winter. I had a previous post here (pre-website revamp) asking about a good combo to get me through 5 month of rain, slush, snow and chemicals. The agreed on formula was a good layer of KAIO topped with Collinite 845. The pickup is new (2010 with 2600 miles) so the paint is in good shape and really needs no serious correction. The truck has 2 coats of wax dating back about 6 or 7 washes ago.

Here`s my plan... wash, clay bar, wash/dry, watch for areas that might need correction..105/205 if needed. Apply KAIO, buff out and top with Collinite 845.

Is there any preferred time to wait between the applications of KAIO and the Collinite? Can I start applying the Collinite as soon as the KAIO is buffed out?

Is there any other step that should be added to this sequence? Is it necessary that I break down those two previous coats of wax before I start with the the KAIO? I guess what I`m thinking is that I could hit the truck with 105/205 to take those early wax coats off... can`t find any dish washing detergent locally that isn`t loaded with fragrances/additives.

Any recommendations greatfully received.

kdlp

Poordude
10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
I use kaio/476 all the time. I find the kaio usually takes off any previous wax

Accumulator
10-27-2010, 10:16 AM
FWIW, I find that KAIO doesn`t do much to strip the oils that M205 leaves behind...not sure it that matters to anybody but me though :nixweiss

And I wouldn`t hesitate to use a dishwashing detergent that contains fragrances/etc. But really...no "blue" Dawn? Thought you could find that stuff everywhere :think:

kdlp
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
FWIW, I find that KAIO doesn`t do much to strip the oils that M205 leaves behind...not sure it that matters to anybody but me though :nixweiss

And I wouldn`t hesitate to use a dishwashing detergent that contains fragrances/etc. But really...no "blue" Dawn? Thought you could find that stuff everywhere :think:

We got your red Dawn, your yellow Dawn, your green Dawn... even found some clear stuff that smelled like a decomposing mouse.... don`t ask me how I know.... :(, but alas, no blue Dawn.

And as for those oils... what do you do, give it another wash down before the KAIO?

I didn`t get any "what are you nuts!" responses, so I guess I`ll get busy this weekend.

Thx,

kdlp

Leadfootluke
10-27-2010, 03:01 PM
And as for those oils... what do you do, give it another wash down before the KAIO?

I didn`t get any "what are you nuts!" responses, so I guess I`ll get busy this weekend.

Thx,

kdlp

Wipe down the paint with IPA, multiple times if needed. Otherwise a Prepwash to remove the oils.

Then you can apply KAIO which should effectively clean the rest of the paint before the Collinite.

Accumulator
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
kdlp- Ah yes, the scent of rotting rodents, I know it well :o Better than ripe raccoons at least.

I bet the other Dawns would work fine, just don`t choose one with "moisturizers". IPA is only so-so at removing M205 oils IME, but I bet it depends on the paint. As Leadfootluke mentioned, PrepWash is very good if you have it. So is AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A".

But I bet you could just wax right over the oils and not have any issues from it. I mean...isn`t that how it`s done in the Meguiar`s Universe?

gigondaz
10-28-2010, 06:33 AM
There are numerous approaches, and all those listed below are great.

Here`s mine:

......Is there any preferred time to wait between the applications of KAIO and the Collinite? Can I start applying the Collinite as soon as the KAIO is buffed out?AIO does not need to cure. It`s primarily a cleaner, with a bit of sealant inside. You can top it immediately with Collinite. We all know that AIO by itself, has very poor durability. It leaves behind a nice bright gloss, but doesn`t last.

So, I wouldn`t want to top AIO with something else because when AIO "dies" (and its very soon!), the topper comes out along with it too.

Is there any other step that should be added to this sequence? Is it necessary that I break down those two previous coats of wax before I start with the the KAIO?

Since it`s for winter, you`re seeking toughness + durability....not a perfect aesthetic look (involving extensive surface prep etc). So, I`ll forget the 105+205 since the vehicle is quite new anyway.

.....hit the truck with 105/205 to take those early wax coats offNot necessary. Just wash with ANY dish washing detergent, or simply use All Purpose Cleaner (wear gloves). This`ll strip off lots of old wax. After that, you can wipe with Prepsol and/or IPA. Then, apply that layer of Collinite.

If necessary, cure 24hrs, and go for the 2nd layer of Collinite.

kdlp

Accumulator
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
I don`t agree that topping KAIO results in poor durability because of the KAIO. I`ve simply *NEVER* had KAIO compromise the durability of a topper, including Collinite, in the 10+ years I`ve been using it. Same story with Autoglym SRP, which I`ve used for a lot longer than that. Even Collinite over 1Z WPS is good for at least the course of a nasty Ohio winter.

IME Collinite is pretty much lasts the same whether applied over bare paint or over top of AIO type products, but I guess YMMV as there are probably a scad of variables that factor in.

Poordude
10-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I work for a company that manufacters floor finishes. The technology can be linked very closely to car finishes. When we use a sealer with our floor care products(kaio cross reference here) the floor finish(LSP cross reference) bonds a lot better. the end result is better durability & shine then not using a good base.

Way better gloss & adhesion!!!!!

gtppilot
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
kdlp- Ah yes, the scent of rotting rodents, I know it well :o Better than ripe raccoons at least.

I bet the other Dawns would work fine, just don`t choose one with "moisturizers". IPA is only so-so at removing M205 oils IME, but I bet it depends on the paint. As Leadfootluke mentioned, PrepWash is very good if you have it. So is AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A".

But I bet you could just wax right over the oils and not have any issues from it. I mean...isn`t that how it`s done in the Meguiar`s Universe?

So true about oils in M105/205. I did a car last weekend using both and when I went to wash it with Dawn before putting on the sealants the beading was incredible. I thought maybe I grabbed the wrong bottle or something. After washing with Dawn the water sheeted right off. All oils removed.