PDA

View Full Version : MF washing in HE washer....

chaotik
10-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Alright...I searched, but couldnt find any answers. I finally came into the present and bought a HE washer when my old washer finally died on me....plus I moved from a house with a well to a place I have to pay for water, so it was the smart move.

Does anyone wash their mf`s in a HE machine? I am kinda leery on this as the machine I have has a glass top and you can see how little water it uses. I just dont think it would rinse them clean unless you rinsed them like 5 or 6 times.

If you do use a HE machine, what is your process and what detergent do you use.

THANKS!!

Accumulator
10-21-2010, 10:55 AM
As I post this, a load of MFs is doing the final rinse cycle in my Duet HE washer.

All in all, I generally prefer my other, old agitator-style, washer for washing *anything* that`s really dirty, and that includes MFs. You know how they say the HE is *sooo* gentle on your clothes? Well, often it`s pretty gentle on the *dirt* too ;) so I do sometimes have issues with the HE washer getting really soiled stuff clean, but generally it does OK with the MFs if I go about it right.

While Dawn works pretty well in a conventional washer, I`m not all *THAT* happy with how it works in the HE one. Talk about sudsing :eek: and yeah, gotta rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more. But then I often do all those extra rinses with my HE washer anyhow (and I suspect my soft water has a lot to do with needing that).

With all the sudsing from Dawn, I generally use a "MF detergent" (currently using up all the stuff I bought from Bob Danase). I prefer to use the "Sanitary" (super-hot) cycle with a pre-wash and an extra rinse. I often put the detergent right on any really soiled spots on the MFs rather than in the machine`s dispenser, but if I do put detergent in there I add it to the "prewash" dispenser, not the "regular wash" one. Then I`ll often do a warm wash, *with no detergent* + warm rinse X 2 (on my washer I have to use the "whitest whites" cycle to get that combo) as a "super rinse". It works well for me, but if I notice any sudsing during that final rinse, I`ll rinse some more. Yeah...sometimes it gets downright ridiculous how many times I have to rinse, at least if I overdo the detergent (but if I underdo it things don`t get clean). But the MF detergent seems to rinse away better than my conventional detergents, and often cleans the "detailing stuff" off better too; for some reason I *really* notice a diff between MF detergent and my regular stuff, but others say they don`t so I guess YMMV.

DHCrocks
10-21-2010, 04:01 PM
I use a HE to wash my towels. here`s my process.

1. presoak in a 5 gal bucket with 1 oz. MF cleaner for about 15-30 minutes in warm water.

2. wash with 2 oz of MF cleaner added to dispenser using hot wash/cold rinse in towel function with highest speed dry spin

3 run another full cycle in hot wash/cold rinse in towel function no soap added with highest speed dry spin.

seems to work pretty good, but damn, it takes 2 hours for a single load.

chaotik
10-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info....I figured it would be a long process!!

DM101
10-22-2010, 06:55 AM
I wash my MF in normal mode with Hot water, Tide and a couple oz of APC with the extra water feature and extra tub rinse. Works for me. If you need a extra rinsing do a extra quick wash without any soap.

Accumulator
10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I wash my MF in normal mode with Hot water, Tide and a couple oz of APC with the extra water feature and extra tub rinse. Works for me. If you need a extra rinsing do a extra quick wash without any soap.

Wish my HE washer had that "extra water" feature!

Bunky
10-22-2010, 05:23 PM
My He process.

1 to 2 oz Microrestore depending on load size

Pre-soak cycle

Clean cycle that selects hot wash/warm rinse

2nd rinse

sometimes add vinegar to rinse compartment (pour to line, about 1/4 cup max)

dry low heat cycle

2005GTPinMD
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
My HE process - I use the super dirty wash - with pre-soak and extra rinse cycle. I typically add a bit of vinegar and dry on low heat cycle.

David Fermani
10-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I personally don`t think laundering your dirty, chemical filled towels in your personal washer/dryer is a good idea. I take a big bundle down to the laudramat every couple months to avoid the risk of not only contamimating my washer/dryer, but my home. I totally understand that people`s view on this subject are not like mine, but because of my wife/kids chemical allergies I have no choice. YMMV.

Accumulator
10-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I personally don`t think laundering your dirty, chemical filled towels in your personal washer/dryer is a good idea. I take a big bundle down to the laudramat every couple months to avoid the risk of not only contamimating my washer/dryer, but my home. I totally understand that people`s view on this subject are not like mine, but because of my wife/kids chemical allergies I have no choice. YMMV.

When sensitivities to such stuff factors in it can be a game-changer.

And yeah, I do almost all my detailing MFs in the garage washer/dryer (household-use MFs I just wash in the HE unless they`re really nasty), but I`ll bring in the already-laundered WWs for some detergentless Sanitary Cycle washes....seems to be the only thing that brings `em back to life.

Having the garage washer is *SO* handy...not just for detailing textiles either. And the not-contaminated-by-dryer sheets garage dryer is convenient too, no need to wipe it out to remove the dryer sheet residue.

imported_mburnickas
10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Funny. I just use Charlie Soap and cold water in my Whirpool 9400 washer (spine at 1200 rpms)...I might use auto soak if needed, but 97% is not needed.

Accumulator
10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Funny. I just use Charlie Soap and cold water in my Whirpool 9400 washer (spine at 1200 rpms)...I might use auto soak if needed, but 97% is not needed.

Yeah, some people have great results from the Charlie`s. Didn`t work well for me though. Even for normal laundry :nixweiss