PDA

View Full Version : autogeek griots da pre-matched pads?

Pages : [1] 2

mbaoo
10-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Ive been looking for deals every on the griots da. But it looks like Ive missed out on the last two. And I am getting impatient, so I am thinking of biting the bullet and buying one for the 129.99 retail price.

But on autogeek this kit caught my eye.

Griot`s Garage Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit, Griot`s Garage Random Orbital Machine, orbital polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/random-orbital-polisher-kit.html)

It comes with pads, pad cleaner and two micro fiber clothes.

Is this a decent deal? I have a $20 off coupon on orders 150+ that expires this october. I would like to use it so I figured this would be a good buy? Or would I be better off buying individual pads?

My cars paint is in pretty good condition. But it has swirls visible under gas station lights and at certain angles with sun light.

Toymachine2009
10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Well it doesnt come with an orange pad so you would have to purchase that and also purchase polishes.. I would just piece it and get things when they go on sale or what not..

Im pretty sure with the holidays coming up there will be massive sales across all the detailing websites such as autogeek, detailed image, properautocare, autodetailingsolutions..

I bet there machines go on sale for the holidays so people buy them up.

BigAl3
10-19-2010, 03:33 PM
never cared for kits, buy the DA seperate and pick/choose the exact items that you want and will use...

mbaoo
10-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Well. I do have swirlx and ultimate compound. Or should I step up to something like m105/205?

SO I would need orange cutting pads? What finishing ones would be good to have?

Toymachine2009
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes you will more than likely at least NEED orange a few of them too. If orange still isn`t strong enough then surbuf pads.. Or purple wool pad..

mbaoo
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
My swirls arent that bad. Maybe its just the color of my car that makes them less visible.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/P1040722.jpg?t=1287539221

So I saw on autogeek they sell a six pack of lake country. I was thinking 2 orange, two black/grey, 1 white and 1 blue? The white one seems the least useful from the description. Maybe 3 orange, 2 black/grey, 1 blue?

Toymachine2009
10-19-2010, 09:37 PM
No white and orange are a must...

I would get 2 orange and 2 white and m105 and m205 and the griots machine and call it a day..

If you get the 6 pack of pads get 3 orange and 3 white.. And those 2 polishes and you should be set.

2005GTPinMD
10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Can you use the autopia discount code on top of it too?

wascallyrabbit
10-20-2010, 08:40 AM
No white and orange are a must...

I would get 2 orange and 2 white and m105 and m205 and the griots machine and call it a day..

If you get the 6 pack of pads get 3 orange and 3 white.. And those 2 polishes and you should be set.

i`m confused you say no white, then tell him to get white?

Accumulator
10-20-2010, 09:50 AM
wascallyrabbit- I think toymachine2009 meant it like...

"No, white and orange are a must." The missing comma making all the difference.

mbaoo- Welcome to Autopia! Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

- You might do fine with the UC and Swirl-X

- I`d rather stick with pads 6" and smaller on the Griot`s; 6.5" might be a little too big

- No need (IMO) for virtually identical finishing pads; just the black/gray oughta suffice for that category, no need for the blue and I can`t help but wonder if you`ll even use the black/gray ones all that much

- I bet you will need orange light-cut pads (but I don`t know from Nissan clear), but I can`t help but wonder how much you *really* care about getting the finish all "Autopian" as opposed to just making it look a bit better

mbaoo
10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
My car paint isnt perfect. I will at some point like to get my rear bumper re-sprayed. I bought the car with it already re-sprayed. The top half is glossy with clear. WHile the bottom half isnt. And it has somewhat of a rough texture. Its not smooth and its definitely not shiny. Its starting to fade to white for whatever reason.

I have several small scratches due to others and rockchips. I love detailing my car with what I have. Im dont use my UC or swirlx much much at all because its near impossible to get results by hand. I figure machine polishing is the next step and I really want to try it. Im not to the point where I could spend two days on a car. But if I do everything I can with what I got Ive spent 4-5 hours before.

So you say I should just get orange and black?

Accumulator
10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
So you say I should just get orange and black?

OK, copy that on the imperfect paint. Note that sometimes bumper covers have a "texture" to them that can make the paint look sorta satiny rather than "normal glossy". When the cover is then repaired/repainted, that texture is often lost. Maybe that might explain at least part of what`s going on there. Hard to say what`s going on with the "fade to white", but I`d try to not worry about it ;)

For what you`re gonna do, I think the orange and white pads would probably be a better combo if you want to keep things simple. I bet you really don`t need the black or blue ones. Unless your clear is really soft, the white will be gentle enough for what you`re doing.

To keep the correction manageable, you might want to do a few panels after each of a series of normally-scheduled washes, rather than trying to do the whole car in one long session.

mbaoo
10-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks a bunch for the advice and recommendation. And Im pretty sure its something with the paint. Ive seen other altimas where the bottom half is just as glossy at the top. And when I bought car it wasnt fading to white. I would of noticed. But yeah, I wont worry till it gets worse. If it does.

But yeah, thats actually a pretty good idea with doing a few panels at a time. That was I can take my time.

Toymachine2009
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
wascallyrabbit- I think toymachine2009 meant it like...

"No, white and orange are a must." The missing comma making all the difference.

mbaoo- Welcome to Autopia! Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

- You might do fine with the UC and Swirl-X

- I`d rather stick with pads 6" and smaller on the Griot`s; 6.5" might be a little too big

- No need (IMO) for virtually identical finishing pads; just the black/gray oughta suffice for that category, no need for the blue and I can`t help but wonder if you`ll even use the black/gray ones all that much

- I bet you will need orange light-cut pads (but I don`t know from Nissan clear), but I can`t help but wonder how much you *really* care about getting the finish all "Autopian" as opposed to just making it look a bit better

My bad I forgot the Coma yes I meant to say THE White and Orange Pads are a must with the combo m105 and m205

mbaoo
10-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I was on autogeek and noticed that I had less than 15 minutes to place and order and recieve free shipping.

No time to ask you guys anymore questions obviously lol.

I didnt know if the 5.5 backing plate listed on autogeek would work for the griots. So I just got 3 orange and 3 white 6.5 LC flat pads along with the Pinnacle XMT Pad Care Combo.

I got the original non HD model as I have plenty of extension cords.