PDA

View Full Version : LSPs that look the same wash after wash

Dan
10-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I`m starting to pare down my LSP collection, and I started to think of good reasons to get ride of quite a few of them. I think my #1 dislike is LSPs that look great after application and then fall on their face after a rain or wash. Just curious what you guys are seeing.

The worst: FMJ and NXT/#21, these lose their looks after the first rain or wash for me, most of the soft carnaubas like Natty`s and Souveran don`t last very long at all either.

The best: Zaino,Duragloss, #16, Optiseal, 845IW

JaredPointer
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Collinite, Zaino & Duragloss do all seem to hold the look well after more then one interaction with water. AG HD Wax seems to hold up better than any of the other pastes (Collinite excluded) that I`ve got.

Accumulator
10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Besides the Collinite(s) and #16, I find that KSG and, *especially* FK1000P maintain their original appearance for a long, long time. Any drop-off is so gradual that I simply never notice it. The FK1000P on my Yukon looks the same to me (and I`m pretty discerning ;) ) as it did 16 months ago.

Actually, I don`t think #16 is all *that* great in this regard, but yeah...it is better than many other LSPs. It`s just that I *always* seem to notice an improvement when I redo it.

Dan
10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Collinite, Zaino & Duragloss do all seem to hold the look well after more then one interaction with water. AG HD Wax seems to hold up better than any of the other pastes (Collinite excluded) that I`ve got.

Nice to hear that about AGHD, I have used it once and really liked the results but got bored and stripped it too quickly.

Besides the Collinite(s) and #16, I find that KSG and, *especially* FK1000P maintain their original appearance for a long, long time. Any drop-off is so gradual that I simply never notice it. The FK1000P on my Yukon looks the same to me (and I`m pretty discerning ;) ) as it did 16 months ago.

Actually, I don`t think #16 is all *that* great in this regard, but yeah...it is better than many other LSPs. It`s just that I *always* seem to notice an improvement when I redo it.

Yeah, I agree about the #16 to some extent, it falls off just a bit after the first wash for me, then just stays the same. Must be the famous oils being washed off. Good to hear about the FK1000P, I really don`t have enough experience to say either way, though I really do like the stuff.

fordf150
10-20-2010, 10:36 AM
My experience is limited to Megs #21 Sealant. I think it held up great wash after wash. What really helps and I think this can be true with any sealant is use a quality QD after washing. Myself, I found that regular use of Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax greatly extended the protection and beading of my Sealant.

Now that I have since switched to using Blackfire Wet Diamond it remains to be seen what the durability will be like. I will say the slickness of BFWD is off the charts when first applied. Much more so than #21. It just may be my favorite if the durability is as good as the slickness and ease of use.

Scottwax
10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Meguiars #26 and Carnauba Moose seem to look better after the first wash to me but among carnaubas they are the exception. Sealants tend to be pretty good about holding their look after repeated washing. DP`s Poli-Lock was a huge surprise in that it holds up to multiple harsh touch-free and dealer washes-as in 4-5 a week. I`ve been using it since spring on a customer`s car who is on that wash regiment and he can`t say enough good things about how well it holds up.

imported_Bert
10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Scott, do you like DP Poli-Lock even better than Opti-Seal? Opt-Seal seemed to be a standard for you on light colored cars.

Dan
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
My experience is limited to Megs #21 Sealant. I think it held up great wash after wash. What really helps and I think this can be true with any sealant is use a quality QD after washing. Myself, I found that regular use of Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax

Yep, that`s exactly what I`m trying to avoid. I was looking for other products that don`t need any help. BFWD unline #21, in my experience is like that, it doesn`t need anything wash after wash.

ltebow34
10-21-2010, 03:26 AM
FK1000P, FK2685, and FK218 and 2180 by my experience and customer comment to me, everytime they wash car with regular shampoo, the finish look the same gloss finish. I never seen other wax or sealant that do that. I saw with my own eyes, theyeven email me with comment from other people saying car looks fresh waxed

AeroCleanse
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
The best are the nano-coatings like GTechinq C1, CQuartz and Opti-Coat.

fordf150
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Yep, that`s exactly what I`m trying to avoid. I was looking for other products that don`t need any help. BFWD unline #21, in my experience is like that, it doesn`t need anything wash after wash.

To be fair though when you say they lose their looks after the first wash or rain, what exactly do you mean, luster? slickness? I think that after a certain time you will lose some slickness regardless of what you use, but the protection is certainly still there.

Don`t get me wrong I still thought #21 looked good after a good wash or washes, just that it looked better after using UQD. The Polymers used in UQD are used as a booster as you will. I suspect it would work the same for BFWD or whatever sealant you happen to use as it`s not picky who it plays with. But to say that #21 on it`s own loses it luster after a wash or two, I will have to disagree from my own experience. BFWD uses "Polycharger" in their formula for added slickness and durability. ONe wash since initial application and looks as good as the day I put it on.

Finally, one of the nice benefits of using a Quick Detailer such as UQD after and in between washes other than boosting your sealant, is that I can cut down how often I need to wash. Less I have to wash the longer the sealant will last. However in Winter months all bets are off.:(

FWIW

Dan
10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
fordf150, I`m glad you compared BFWD vs #21 as that is exactly what I`m asking about. For me, BFWD looks great wash after wash, where #21 loses slickness and shine quickly. While I haven`t used BFWD for extended periods (over 1 month), it has performed well. I have 20+ sealants and I`m trying to get rid of a bunch as they don`t deliver. Everyone has their preferences, but for me, I`d rather apply something and have it retain its original properties. Its all about the least amount of work for the best results.

IMO, this is where the big difference is in various LSP products. Take a well polished surface and even something from the auto parts store, it will look great when first applied. But then after the first rain or wash, that "look" is gone.

Scottwax
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Scott, do you like DP Poli-Lock even better than Opti-Seal? Opt-Seal seemed to be a standard for you on light colored cars.

I wouldn`t say I like it better, more like equally. OS is wetter, DP more depth.

gigondaz
10-22-2010, 04:14 AM
The best are the nano-coatings like GTechinq C1, CQuartz and Opti-Coat.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YA!!!!

IMO, coatings are the King of The LSP Jungle when it comes to maintaining a freshly-detailed look over a long period of time.

I`ve experimented extensively with Collinites, FKs, Wolfgang, No21, and a whole lot of popular and highly-praised LSPs over the past 20years till now. Yes, many will still bead water for a long time, but that "freshly done" look is no longer there.

NONE of these stuff have impressed me more than coatings....any premium coatings.

Wash after wash, even with strong detergents (which many customers stubbornly use), the vehicle just looks freshly done!!!!!!! wihtout any QDs or premium shampoos.

5yrs ago, I`ve embraced coatings for my detailing business, and used it on very high budget jobs and have never found any sealant or wax that rivals it on this aspect.