PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used these.....

G37
10-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Has anyone ever used these SM Arnold MF towels?

85-872 (http://www.diycleaning.com/prod85872.html)

or

GREEN PLUSH MICROFIBER TOWEL (http://www.diycleaning.com/86-787.HTML)

Do people prefer plush MF towels for QD and removing Wax or the regular MF towels for these jobs???

G37
10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Do plush MF towels remove wax better? I thought i read that for QD the plush MF towels dont work so great absorbing??

Accumulator
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Do plush MF towels remove wax better?

While I like rather plush MFs for buffing off waxes and LSPs in general, there are many who do *NOT* like them for that but rather prefer a less-plush MF. Even I use suede-style/minimal-nap MFs with certain sealants (at least most of the time).

Plusher means functionally more gentle, and it can get to the point where the MF is *so* gentle that you have to really lean on it to get LSP residue off (analogy: rubbing wax off with a nice fluffy cotton towel...oughta work OK, right? What if you try to buff off that wax with a *huge* towel folded so that there`s a foot of fluffy cotton between your hand and the wax...now it`ll be so "cushioned", i.e., "gentle", that hardly any "buffing off" action makes it to the wax).

I thought i read that for QD the plush MF towels dont work so great absorbing??

Compared to what- WWs or "less plush regular MFs"? Compared to less plush regular ones, I generally find that plusher MFs get more of the QD off and result in less liquid being left behind in the form of tiny little droplets. But I also find that "regular" MFs just don`t get liquids off paint as effectively as WW style ones. So I`ll often do my first passes with a WW, to get most of the QD/whatever liquid off, then follow up with a "buffing" type of pass using a very plush MF. Just did this last Saturday when drying off the Yukon XLD with spritzes of FK146.

G37
10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Accumulator thanks great response makes my choice easier...

Accumulator
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
G37- Cool...heh heh, I was worried that I`d make your choice *harder* :eek:

jl114
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Has anyone ever used these SM Arnold MF towels?

85-872 (http://www.diycleaning.com/prod85872.html)

or

GREEN PLUSH MICROFIBER TOWEL (http://www.diycleaning.com/86-787.HTML)

Do people prefer plush MF towels for QD and removing Wax or the regular MF towels for these jobs???

I`ve asked myself the same question before and as accumulator said, some people prefer the thicker nap for sealant removal, and others smooth. I do think getting way too plush is too extreme (like those sasquatch towels from cg). You should only need 1-2 towels to buff off if your applying your sealant correctly, that is, very thin. Just because you can`t see the sealant being applied on, it probably still is. Try looking at different angles. Also, with your g, trying dabbing your applicator at the chrome and you`ll easily be able to tell if you need more sealant on the applicator. I use to go through 2-4 towels but now I can just use 1 regular mf towel to buff off an entire car. If your looking for a good deal on plush towels, the eurow plush towels for 25$ for a 10 pack are nice. They come with improved edging compared to before.

I actually also agree with accumulator for qding too. A smooth short-normal nap towel for spreading, and a plush nap towel to follow up. The short nap towel gets saturated pretty quickly and I find I can use less qd with this method.

G37
10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks jl114.

Hey Accumulator what do you think about edgeless MF towels??

Do people prefer edgeless MF towels for jobs that require touching the paint??

Accumulator
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks jl114.

Hey Accumulator what do you think about edgeless MF towels??

Do people prefer edgeless MF towels for jobs that require touching the paint??

I see the benefit, and appreciate the convenience, but it`s not a deal-breaker for me. I`ve been folding towels (edges in where they won`t cause issues) for so long that I just don`t mind doing it. Had to do it with cotton towels back when I started doing this stuff, and 30-some years later it`s almost automatic when I pick a towel up.

If you can get a towel you like in edged (even satin-edged) or edgeless, then sure, go with the edgeless one and take one more potential problem off the table.

G37
01-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Why isnt there any edgeless drying WW MF towels?

Accumulator
01-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Why isnt there any edgeless drying WW MF towels?

Well, there are satin-edged ones...never caused any problems for me but then I don`t work on really soft paint either.

G37
01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, there are satin-edged ones...never caused any problems for me but then I don`t work on really soft paint either.

Dont want to beat a dead horse..but if you use the light wipe method to dry a car and the satin edge comes into contact with the paint are chances high that it can cause scratching/swirling??

The synthtetic cham. has no edges

Sorry Accumulator I have just been programmed to use a synthetic. cham evr since I started washing my cars since 1993. Another thing I like is that the syn. cham. is always wet so it glides across the paint, I know I know if its not broken dont fix it but I am always in serach of the best thing and everybody seems to say WW MF drying towels. I have been ready to buy some from Pak shak just trying to figure out how many large and how many small.....

Also trying to decide what size for door jams: MICROPAK Ultra Micro Fiber Towel 16x16 or 24x24???

Starting to think maybe I should ditch the yellow devils from Costco which I use once on wheels and discard I dont think I should wash and reuse any MF towels that get contaminated with brake dust. Guess I have to do a better job cleaning wheels so there is no brake dust to put on MF towels. Thanks for the tip on the Griots Lambskin Four-Finger Mitt I ordered three of these cant wait to get these they look like they do a great job on wheels and be very gentle. I want to order some of the grey Pak shak MF wheel towels too but at 3 dollars and change have to to take care of those they are not disposable like the yellow devils.

For paint duty like when I have to use a QD I would like to buy some of PS MICROPAK 16" x 16" Ultra-Plush Micro Fiber Towel. I will admit that I dont like to do a stand alone QD just use QD before drying the car the less you touch the paint the better IMO.

For windows and interior work I have an inventory of about 80 of these plush and thick MF towels 85-872 (http://www.diycleaning.com/prod85872.html).. but when I am done with these I might replace them with PS MF towels..Which ones do you like for glass and interior??

Legacy
01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Dont want to beat a dead horse..but if you use the light wipe method to dry a car and the satin edge comes into contact with the paint are chances high that it can cause scratching/swirling??

Not likely.

Also trying to decide what size for door jams: MICROPAK Ultra Micro Fiber Towel 16x16 or 24x24???

Get the 16X16 less chance of it dragging on the ground.

For paint duty like when I have to use a QD I would like to buy some of PS MICROPAK 16" x 16" Ultra-Plush Micro Fiber Towel. I will admit that I dont like to do a stand alone QD just use QD before drying the car the less you touch the paint the better IMO.

Good choice.

For windows and interior work I have an inventory of about 80 of these plush and thick MF towels 85-872 (http://www.diycleaning.com/prod85872.html).. but when I am done with these I might replace them with PS MF towels..Which ones do you like for glass and interior??

For glass, get the 16 X 16 glass towel. For interior the Ultra smooth will work just fine.

gigondaz
01-17-2011, 10:36 AM
IMO, the plushness (related to thickness in some ways) is not always related to effectiveness in QD`ing or removal of LSPs.

I`m more concerned with the TYPE of weave.

Certain weaving (even on thin, not-so-plush) enables rapid, effortless removal of certain types of products.

In a nutshell, each kind of weaving/texture appears to perform differently in the removal

of diff products.

G37
01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally Posted by Accumulator

The synthtetic cham. has no edges

Sorry Accumulator I have just been programmed to use a synthetic. cham evr since I started washing my cars since 1993. Another thing I like is that the syn. cham. is always wet so it glides across the paint, I know I know if its not broken dont fix it but I am always in serach of the best thing and everybody seems to say WW MF drying towels. I have been ready to buy some from Pak shak just trying to figure out how many large and how many small.....

Starting to think maybe I should ditch the yellow devils from Costco which I use once on wheels and discard I dont think I should wash and reuse any MF towels that get contaminated with brake dust. Guess I have to do a better job cleaning wheels so there is no brake dust to put on MF towels. Thanks for the tip on the Griots Lambskin Four-Finger Mitt I ordered three of these cant wait to get these they look like they do a great job on wheels and be very gentle. I want to order some of the grey Pak shak MF wheel towels too but at 3 dollars and change have to to take care of those they are not disposable like the yellow devils.

For windows and interior work I have an inventory of about 80 of these plush and thick MF towels 85-872.. but when I am done with these I might replace them with PS MF towels..Which ones do you like for glass and interior??

Accumulator
01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
..Also trying to decide what size for door jams: MICROPAK Ultra Micro Fiber Towel 16x16 or 24x24???

I`d get the smaller ones for the jambs, easier to manipulate in those areas IMO.

Starting to think maybe I should ditch the yellow devils from Costco which I use once on wheels and discard I dont think I should wash and reuse any MF towels that get contaminated with brake dust..

I understand your concerns about gritty stuff from the wheels contaminating the MFs and not coming out, but as long as you clean `em thoroughly (OK, that can be a tall order!) they oughta still be good for something even if they look all stained and nasty.

Oh, and those Griot`s mitts for wheels will get stained too, but they`ll still work OK at least for the barrels/back of spokes. This whole residual contamination issue is a big part of why I like BHBs for use on wheels (the areas you can access with BHBs at least). BHBs simply come clean no matter *what* kind of [stuff] you get on them.

That`s how I use QD 99% of the time too. But FWIW I generally like the WWs for this better than the Ultra-Plush.

..Which ones do you like for glass and interior??

I use cheapies/ones that`re no longer good enough for paint for most interior chores that I don`t do with cotton. I don`t use MFs for glass very much (rare exceptions- MFs made for glass), preferring to do the initial passes with cotton and the final ones with Griot`s polypropylene window wipes (pn 14910). Can`t overstate my love of those polypro wipes.