PDA

View Full Version : Problems with M105

Pages : [1] 2

Yamaha0219
10-17-2010, 09:06 AM
I just bought a "new to me" white 2005 F250. I know white is hard to see defects but I can tell by looking at the truck it needs a good amount of work. I have M105 and M205, I`m fine working with the 205 but always run into problems with the 105 (mainly it drying too fast and hard to remove).

Can anyone recommend a compound that I can work with a DA and 5.5" pads that can be followed up by M205?

jaymz
10-17-2010, 09:28 AM
You need to do some reading on #105. Search under Kevin Brown Method and you`ll find plenty. Key is priming the pad. I first spritz Megs #34 on the pad and fold it in, then apply the #105 and prime the pad. Then go at it! Other recent methods recommend using baby oil on pad.

Jim

Accumulator
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I just bought a "new to me" white 2005 F250. I know white is hard to see defects but I can tell by looking at the truck it needs a good amount of work. I have M105 and M205, I`m fine working with the 205 but always run into problems with the 105 (mainly it drying too fast and hard to remove).

Can anyone recommend a compound that I can work with a DA and 5.5" pads that can be followed up by M205?

While I`d just tweak your technique until you get the hang of M105, you might be happier with the new Optimum Spray Compound.

On the M105, I bet you need to work smaller areas and spritz on a little M34 before you buff off the residue.

gocubbies
10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
on another forum someone did alot of reasearch and found that one of the lubricateing ingredients in 105 is mineral oil(baby oil). spritz the pad with 2 sprays and you get like 5 minutes worth of working time

Yamaha0219
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the help, I`ve been trying to tweak my technique every chance I get. I`ve tried using a purple wool pad, orange CCS pad, megs burgandy cutting pad, I feel like its a hit or miss, sometimes it works perfect, other times im ready to throw the polisher across the garage.

Normally I`ll work low and slow at first (like on a 3 with a little pressure) and then move up to speed 6 with no pressure. Am I completely wrong?...need to watch some more youtube videos I guess.

Street5927
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
While I`d just tweak your technique until you get the hang of M105, you might be happier with the new Optimum Spray Compound.

On the M105, I bet you need to work smaller areas and spritz on a little M34 before you buff off the residue.

I agree Accumulator. I bought the new Optimum Hyper Compound Spray as well as the new Hyper Polish Spray. I must say that the work time is incredible with these. It seems like it can be worked forever, and the results are quite better than M205/105 (IMO).

Toymachine2009
10-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Does The Spray compound work good with DA`s though.. Thats my question...

gmblack3
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
You need to properly prime the pad with M105 as noted above. Then clean the pad with a brush and compressed air after each panel.

Street5927
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Does The Spray compound work good with DA`s though.. Thats my question...

They work very well with the PC. Someone put a scratch in my wife`s black Hyundai Santa Fe, so I had to do some wet sanding, and wouldn`t you know it, my first project with the spray polish. Normally, I would use a rotary to polish out wet sanding marks, but some spray Hyper Compound on an LC Orange and PC, ran at speed 6 after spreading for about 2-3 minutes, and it completely took out ALL wet sanding marks and left it nearly LSP ready. I just refined it a tad more with Menz 85rd and it was perfect.

dschribs
10-18-2010, 07:00 AM
prime the pad with M105

That`s the key. Don`t prime the pad with anything but 105 when using a DA.

I checked out Bryan`s instructions before using 105 for the first time (KBM w/ orange pad link tips - link above). Works great. Cleaning the pad frequently is KEY.

Dan
10-18-2010, 07:16 AM
105 has a very narrow working range, it definitely has a learning curve. If its drying out too fast, you either have too much speed or too little product. Don`t add to much product though, otherwise you`ll experience the epic splatter it is capable of.

Junebug
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I went through some tough times with M105, mainly thinking I knew what I was doing and not getting the results everybody was talking about. Then I read this article by Todd over on TID, I tried it and by golly - it worked!

AeroCleanse
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I gave up on M105, now I use System 51 polish.

Accumulator
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the help, I`ve been trying to tweak my technique every chance I get. I`ve tried using a purple wool pad, orange CCS pad, megs burgandy cutting pad, I feel like its a hit or miss, sometimes it works perfect, other times im ready to throw the polisher across the garage...

Note that sometimes using a different pad really *can* make all the diff, and it seems to be some kind of "matching the pad to the paint" sort of thing were one combo just works better/worse on a particular vehicle; not *you*, just the pad.

Normally I`ll work low and slow at first (like on a 3 with a little pressure) and then move up to speed 6 with no pressure. Am I completely wrong?...need to watch some more youtube videos I guess.

Not completely wrong..just that first part (which *is* completely wrong for M105 :D ). Don`t do the low speed/low pressure; don`t do *anything* like that (no product spreading either)...that`s contributing to the product drying out on you.

Just put the polisher on the paint with the speed set on "6", turn it on, and use uniform pressure that`s appropriate for the paint in question (usually at least moderate pressure).

I save any "zero applied pressure" work for very soft paint or very minor correction, or for refining the finish if you want to try doing that with M105 (on a finishing pad).

When trying to remove defects, I generally find that "letting the product do the work" still requires at least some moderate applied pressure, even with M105.

9935annivgt
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I use Megs Ultimate Compound instead of 105 slightly and in my case very slightly less cut but much longer working time and less dust. Looking to try the Opt. spray polishes though