PDA

View Full Version : Rust protection overspray on wheels

slvr-bullet
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Hello All,

I had some rust protection done on my new car from the dealer and there is some overspray (that I believe) on the wheels. They`re tiny little black spots and don`t come off easy unless I run my finger nail over it a few times.

Is there a more efficient and effective way of removing it?

tia

detailman1
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Tia go to walmart and buy"Goo Gone" in the spray can.Spray and wipe and it will be okay on your wheels.As in all case scenarios test small area first.

slvr-bullet
10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks detailman1.

Since the little specks are hard, it will still remove them?

I had my wheels cleaned and treated with zaino before this happened.

Dubbin1
10-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Have you tried clay?

Accumulator
10-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Oughta clean off the same way it will off the paint- solvents, clay, paint cleaners, AIO.

Innovative Detailing
10-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Nothing a little bit of Tarminator can`t remove........:)

slvr-bullet
10-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I haven`t tried clay yet. I have a bottle of 1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Pre-Cleaner and Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner.

If I used a stiff brush would that mark up the wheels? It seems like the overspray specks are just stuck on.

wascallyrabbit
10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
since you already have opc i would try that first. i don`t think the 1z will do it (but there is no harm in trying). you may still need clay bar to assist in removal of the rust proofing. i would not use a stiff brush as it will most likely mark (scratch/damage) the wheels. treat your wheels as you would the rest of the car. follow accumulator`s advise (he`s probably had this problem) and all should be good.

detailman1
10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
most likely if not let me know

Accumulator
10-17-2010, 12:40 PM
... i would not use a stiff brush as it will most likely mark (scratch/damage) the wheels. treat your wheels as you would the rest of the car. follow accumulator`s advise (he`s probably had this problem) and all should be good.

Right, ixnay on the harsh wash medium.

I sometimes get rustproofing/undercoating/whatever on stuff and I really like the solvent-based approach. Even with clay, once the [stuff] gets stuck to the clay you have to be very careful; clay + abrasive stuff = sandpaper.

I`d approach this in a kinda deliberate manner; pull a wheel off, put it on a bench/etc., and slowly, carefully figure out a nice gentle approach that works. Then use that approach on the other wheels. I`d throw another AIO/Zaino job on `em while you`re at it since whatever takes off the [stuff] will also strip your existing Zaino.

Yeah, PIA to be sure...but I try to look at such stuff as having just precipitated some work that I woulda done sooner or later anyhow.