PDA

View Full Version : QD techniques??

G37
10-15-2010, 12:54 PM
I know most people spray QD onto the car and wipe but my question is sometimes when I remove dead bugs off the front of my car shortly after its been washed is it ok to use QD like a spot treatment when I spray it gets all over the bumper and chrome grill..Can i just spray plenty onto a MF towel and do it this way instead of spraying onto the car??

Innovative Detailing
10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
No, you definitely want to spray the surfaces so that dirt and bugs get coated and then swiped by the towel to minimize scratching and marring. The acidity of the bug composition is very strong and will stain your paint if not removed in a timely matter. For small spots you could get away with the occasional spot wipe without spraying....but if its anything like the bug fest on my SUV after a trip to the river, you want to mist the surfaces first and then wipe.

Dan
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Always spray the contaiminated part, let soak for a bit, then wipe off. Its not the rag you are worried about dragging on the paint, its the dirt.

G37
10-15-2010, 02:32 PM
got it thanks guys..

cptzippy
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
One thing you can do to treat the hard to get bug is soak a corner of the towel and leave it sit on the critter for a few minutes.

Accumulator
10-16-2010, 12:10 PM
One thing you can do to treat the hard to get bug is soak a corner of the towel and leave it sit on the critter for a few minutes.

Right, IME you don`t have to spray it, you just need to get enough QD dwelling on the [contamination in question] to soften it up.

I don`t like paper towels, but I`ve used MFs and even swabs.

Heh heh...note that IME using FK1000P makes this "get `em off before they etch!" stuff unnecessary most of the time ;)

cptzippy
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Yep, soft MF not a paper towel :)