PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars D151 One step on a black car

D_Nyholm
10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I`m planning on trying some D151 on a detail I have planned for next week. It is a black Impala SS. I haven`t used D151 yet, just got my first gallon of it and was hoping I could get some pointers on it before I try it out. I used it on a scrap black hood that I have with a PC and LC white pad on half and orange pad on the other half, and it didn`t really remove too many of the swirls as opposed to a full on polish like SIP, but it did do a nice job of shining the paint up. I did notice some marring with the orange pad and the white pad looked much better, but of course not as many swirls were removed with the white pad. What is everyone using with this AIO on black paint with a decent number of swirls, RIDS, and marring? Or should i just try with SIP on a white pad and follow up with a dedicated wax or sealant and call it a day??

Thanks in advance for the pointers!!!

ABQDetailer
10-17-2010, 12:33 AM
You are supposed to use D151 with a wool pad, but I never had luck getting it to finish out nice enough for a one step via wool...

You have to prime the wool pad throughly with D151 as well. Just like priming with M105. For more on pad priming you can search for the Kevin Brown method.

D_Nyholm
10-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Hmm, i was under the impression that this AIO was useable by hand, DA, or Rotary. I tried with a rotary and white pad and green pad and the results were not that great as far as the finish. If I stepped up to a wool pad, i can`t imagine it getting better? I have some purple foamed wool pads, do you really think that would give a better result than the white pads on a DA??

Rob Tomlin
10-17-2010, 11:33 AM
You are supposed to use D151 with a wool pad, but I never had luck getting it to finish out nice enough for a one step via wool...

You have to prime the wool pad throughly with D151 as well. Just like priming with M105. For more on pad priming you can search for the Kevin Brown method.

Are you sure D151 is only designed for use with a rotary?

9935annivgt
10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I like to use D151 as a second step on lighter colors or stand alone on my DA but only on slight swirls. It fits between 105/UC and 205

ABQDetailer
10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Are you sure D151 is only designed for use with a rotary?

Well I remember a thread that showed it used that way but it`s been a while.

High volume shops = Rotary + Wool...

But I don`t want to spread bad info (or two year old info) so here is the directions cut/pasted from ADS` D151 page:

DILUTION: Ready to use

Method of Application: Hand, D.A. Polisher, Rotary

DIRECTIONS:

Shake well. Work one section at a time. Always work on cool paint surface.

NOTE: To prepare the surface for Paint Reconditioning Cream (P.R.C.), properly wash and clay the surface to remove loose as well as bonded contaminants.

MACHINE APPLICATION

Rotary-Choose appropriate Meguiar’s buffing pad. Set machine to 1400-2000 RPM’s. Apply P.R.C. directly to surface.

D.A. Polisher-Choose appropriate Meguiar’s buffing pad. Set machine at medium speed. Apply P.R.C. directly to pad.

Begin working P.R.C. in a 2’x2’ area with overlapping passes. Continue working until defects are removed and high gloss is achieved. Wipe residue with Meguiar’s Ultimate Wipe Detailing Cloth.

HAND APPLICATION

Apply a thin even coat of product to the surface with a clean applicator pad. Wipe residue with a Meguiar’s Ultimate Wipe Detailing Cloth.

(OPTIONAL):

For additional clarity, gloss, and protection re-apply P.R.C. with the appropriate Meguiar’s foam finishing pad or applicator pad.

PROFESSIONAL TIPS:

For added protection, apply your favorite Meguiars quality wax or sealant.

Scottwax
10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Good luck on soft paint with D151, not particularly good even with a DA. Nice 1 step on harder paints where either minimal correction is needed or shine is the primary concern.

AeroCleanse
10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
If you want full correction D151 plus wool on a rotary is your best option. For D/A use, I use a Meg`s polishing pad (yellow).

D151 is like the Meg`s Solo product, only it has wax in it.

gigondaz
10-19-2010, 05:53 AM
If you want full correction D151 plus wool on a rotary is your best option. For D/A use, I use a Meg`s polishing pad (yellow).

D151 is like the Meg`s Solo product, only it has wax in it.

Agreed.

IMO, D151 is great for high volume "quickie" jobs.

But skillfully used in specific situations, it can be a very good step after 105, but before going into 205...especially for soft clearcoats.

Dan
10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with the points about using it with a rotary. Both D151 and M66 are geared for QUICK cleanups. I use them on a Megs yellow pad, and they correct minor to medium swirls just fine, though a lot of it is from the fillers. Both products are filler rich. The cars look great for a week or two, but then the looks fade pretty fast.

ABQDetailer
10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with the points about using it with a rotary. Both D151 and M66 are geared for QUICK cleanups. I use them on a Megs yellow pad, and they correct minor to medium swirls just fine, though a lot of it is from the fillers. Both products are filler rich. The cars look great for a week or two, but then the looks fade pretty fast.

Just leaving a wax behind would indicate it`s "filled with fillers", no? This was probably one of my biggest turn offs. I guess if you`re using it in your business and you`re going to do one step and ONLY one step regardless of the finish that`s left behind it`s a solid product. For somebody like me (a hobbiest/enthusiast) I don`t think this product has a place? Maybe for the friend who wants you to polish his car really bad and you don`t want to do a 3-step on it? Or maybe for a car with really light swirls/marring that D151 can remove in one pass?

The wax left behind doesn`t seem to have much benefit. Most claim it`s not that durable and average looking...

AeroCleanse
10-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Just leaving a wax behind would indicate it`s "filled with fillers", no?

When I use IPA after it, the defects are still gone.

Dan
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Just leaving a wax behind would indicate it`s "filled with fillers", no? This was probably one of my biggest turn offs. I guess if you`re using it in your business and you`re going to do one step and ONLY one step regardless of the finish that`s left behind it`s a solid product. For somebody like me (a hobbiest/enthusiast) I don`t think this product has a place? Maybe for the friend who wants you to polish his car really bad and you don`t want to do a 3-step on it? Or maybe for a car with really light swirls/marring that D151 can remove in one pass?

The wax left behind doesn`t seem to have much benefit. Most claim it`s not that durable and average looking...

Yeah, I don`t think it has much of a place in a hobbyist arsenal as there is just no reason for a fast one stepper, heavy on the cleaning and cutting, light on protection/durability. This stuff is mean for quick cleanups, its very popular with auction houses and used car dealers. For the guy at home, I think FK215 is a much better product.

When I use IPA after it, the defects are still gone.

I have no doubt you can remove strong defects with it if you work it long enough (as with any polish!). But if you are using this stuff for more than one pass (total), you are wasting your time. If you are doing two passes, you would have been better off with 105 and a better AIO or if you are doing three, 105/205/LSP. This stuff is meant for 1 pass, quick cleanups.

AeroCleanse
10-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I use System 51`s Polish most of the time, and D151 occasionally.

I have done a 2 step with D151 on a black VW Jetta (before I had System 51). Step one was D151 on a wool pad (rotary), step two was D151 on a polishing pad on a DA. It finished out great!

I`m not a fan of M105, dusts too fast and has a short working time.