PDA

View Full Version : FK1000 - Anyone order lately

pingable
10-14-2010, 04:23 PM
My last batch was super uber rock hard - and I ended sending it back...

Not sure if the formulation has changed, was it just a bad batch run, etc.This was about a year ago....

Has anyone ordered FK1000 lately. How`s your pot. Not looking for nuba soft but is it soft enough that a warm hand or even it just hanging out in the sun will at least rub product off .

Kean
10-14-2010, 04:34 PM
....I thought that was par for the course (i.e. harder that most). The tin I purchased a few months ago is hard and requires it to be left out in the Sun or (in my case) I simply heated it a bit with a hair dryer to make it more workable.

imported_NHBFAN
10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I prime my applicator with a little 425

wascallyrabbit
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
that sounds about normal for fk1000

pingable
10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Previous posters who used the *old skool* 1000 states there is/WAS a difference in softness between old/new. Any product that require more than natural heat....whether it be a lighter held to or , or a A torch held to it, is not worth the hassle.

IF the newer cans was at least workable without going to great lengths getting it to the applicator, I would then consider using it. My can was so hard, scraping it off just came off in chunks. I DID not want to take these chunks and just rub to create heat to emulsify it....my paint is soft....

dervdave
10-15-2010, 01:05 AM
The results are worth the effort

akimel
10-15-2010, 08:56 AM
1000p is the hardest paste wax I have used, but I find that with sufficient twisting of the applicator in the can, I am able to get enough wax onto the applicator to wax normally. I did prime the applicator the first time with a spray of Final Inspection, but I didn`t like how this worked, so I switched to a dry applicator. The second time I skipped the priming and just twisted. Maybe I got lucky or something. I like the idea of the hair dryer to soften up the wax to get started. I`ll have to try that next time.

Rob Tomlin
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
FK1000p is definitely quite hard in the can. That said, I`ve never considered it a problem. In fact, I like it this way, as it makes it easier to just apply a small/thin amount to the applicator.

Kean
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Previous posters who used the *old skool* 1000 states there is/WAS a difference in softness between old/new. Any product that require more than natural heat....whether it be a lighter held to or , or a A torch held to it, is not worth the hassle.

IF the newer cans was at least workable without going to great lengths getting it to the applicator, I would then consider using it. My can was so hard, scraping it off just came off in chunks. I DID not want to take these chunks and just rub to create heat to emulsify it....my paint is soft.... ....it didn`t take a "great effort" in my case. I didn`t want to wait for the can to heat up naturally so (as I mentioned earlier) I lightly ran a hair dryer over the surface of the contents. I also agree with Rob regarding the amount of product that gets on the pad due to the nature of the product. In my case it was still just a little too hard and the dryer solved that.

Cleaning Fool
10-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I take my cigarette lighter and skim it across the top to loosen the wax up.

dervdave
10-16-2010, 02:31 AM
FK1000p is definitely quite hard in the can. That said, I`ve never considered it a problem. In fact, I like it this way, as it makes it easier to just apply a small/thin amount to the applicator.

Yeah same here, its perfect for applying very thin