PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on buying a PC please?

Tempted2Speed
10-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Ok so Im new to detailing and Ive decided to buy a Porter Cable 7424xp. Ill only be using the PC for application of a sealant ie MPL or BFWD and a light polish ie 106FA or CG 3n Nano Polish(which I have right now). Also a backing plate and pads.

Im looking to only buy 3 pads or so since thats all I think Ill need, I also have 2 Durafoam 4" pads from CG

Any advice on what types of pads Ill need for what I said Ill be using them for? Looking to buy the Lake County ones from DetailedImage since thats where Im buying alot of other stuff from.

BigAl3
10-14-2010, 03:07 AM
there`s the 5.5" 7 pad combo (you`ll need a 5" DA backing plate) and you can pick which ones you want. three orange, three white, and a black would be a good start. you can never have enough pads and eventually pick up some more later down the line. note: the 5.5" black pad is on sale right now (ends 10/14) so you might want to pick up another...

Lake Country 5.5" Lake Country Pad Kit - 7x Pads | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/55-Lake-Country-Pad-Kit-7x-Pads-P436/)

Columbus Day Weekend Sale 25% Off - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Sales/Columbus-Day-Weekend-Sale-25-Off-SP15/)

JohnKleven
10-14-2010, 07:45 AM
If you can afford it buy a cycle instead. You can do some correction work with it and it doesnt vibrate like the pc making your hands numb within a matter of minutes.

shadowstep
10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
You might want to get (5.5" CCS) 2-3 Orange pads, 2-3 White Pads, and 2-3 Black Pads. The blue and red pads are nice for LSP because they are softer and have no cutting properties. But the quantities of the three color pads I mentioned should suffice doing an entire car IMO.

Tempted2Speed
10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
If you can afford it buy a cycle instead. You can do some correction work with it and it doesnt vibrate like the pc making your hands numb within a matter of minutes.

Whats a cycle?

Dubbin1
10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Whats a cycle?

I think he was trying to say Cyclo, its another type of polisher that goes for about $280. IMO if anyone is going to spend that much then they should go with a Flex 3401.

You can do anything with the PC as you can with any other DA on the market. Just make sure you stick with 5.5" and smaller pads.

Barry Theal
10-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Do you you peddle this cycle or is it gas powered? :chuckle: I would look into the griots machine as well.

cheetoh
10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree, Check out the Griots 6" Machine, I just purchased one and love it!!

Barry Theal
10-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Cheetoh,

There a great orbital l machine that is for sure. John is that a gas powered cycle or a electric. Probally could be pnuematic to I guess. :LOLOL Still interested how this works? :lol