PDA

View Full Version : All my pads keep tearing!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Toymachine2009
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I dont get it I read the descriptions on these pads that say there supposed to adjust to the car as you go over different surfaces and what not. Well they were fine on the hood because my hood is flat but once I start doing things that have different shape to them like doors or my REAR Quarter panel ESPECIALLY cuts right through these pads..

There brand new!!

Brand NEW pads already ruined!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/9bd53871.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/9d7a8f0a.jpg

These are the pads I JUST got Lake Country Classic Flat
5.5" Foam Pads (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/lacoclflbfop.html)

I have some CCS pads that will be here tomorrow to try. But I cant buy new pads on a weekly basis..

Here is what it says in the description of those pads.

" This new patented Constant Pressure technology uses a layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate to absorb off-axis movements while keeping the pressure of the pad on the surface constant."

As I was polishing the spoiler on my car which has a little bit of a curve I see BLUE foam spraying everywhere all the sudden. Well that pad is toast.. My other Orange one is just about toast.

Is it something I am doing? too much pressure?

This backing plate I have chews right through them as I go over curves and what not.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/a1b89e9e.jpg

BigAl3
10-12-2010, 04:24 PM
call angelo at PAC and explain the situation, i`m sure he`ll take care of you...

JohnKleven
10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Dual action polishers can be very tough on pads, they shouldn`t be wearing out this quickly, but you won`t see the lifespan that you see on a rotary polisher.

Toymachine2009
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Lol I got 3 panels done on my car and as soon as I get to one with heavy curve to it I see blue foam shredding. So I guess the life of my pads will last HALF my car! Nice!!

Here is the curve that pretty much ate my pads alive.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/8f00f010.jpg

Toymachine2009
10-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Also quick question. I have 2 pads of each color. I use one pad per 2 panels... So I clean them out after 2nd panel they do. Any quick way to dry them? Can I throw them in the dryer with medium to low heat? Will drying them with heat effect them? I know always throw my mf towels in the dryer and put it to air dry.. But it would take the pads too long to put it on air dry.. Medium or even high heat would cut it down from 3-4 hour dry time to 30 min to an hour..

9935annivgt
10-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Clean it up and then spin it on level 3 on the DA and they will dry a whole lot faster, I clean mine spin them and they are ready to go the next day

tssdetailing
10-13-2010, 09:27 AM
If a pad kept doing that to me, i would switch pads. Consider hydrotechs. As for cleaning, dunno that you can clean them mid way through a gig and dry successfully. I normally let them sit for a few hours in a bucket of water and pad cleaner, then toss them in the washer for the rinse cycle. then run them on the spin cycle again (make sure to lay them out, so that the foam faces the outside of the tub, that way centrifigual force pulls the water away from the back to the front). Lastly i let them air dry, face down on a rack. Takes atleast 2 days.

heat + pad = velcro/glue separation so avoid using any hot air if you run them in the dryer

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Use a smaller backing plate... Your backing plate is obviously larger than the velcro on the pad and it is cutting into the actual foam, instead of being supported by the velcro backing. Get a backing plate that`s half inch smaller or get bigger pads. I know those pads and the blue foam is fairly soft compared to the actual foam used for polishing, so there`s nothing you can do about it aside from going smaller on the backing plate or larger on the pad size.

Toymachine2009
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Well I have a 5" backing plate.. These are 5.5" pads.. The manufacture of these made the Velcro on the back smaller so you can go up to edges with the pad and velcro won`t be hitting your car

I really like these pads though.. Which kind do you guys suggest.. I have lc CCS pads coming today..

jaynick808
10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
im not buying anymore of these pads either. the blue foam is too soft and tears like nothing.

dont be too stoked on the hydrotechs though, their adhesive sucks and i need to sew the velcro backing to the foam after 1 use with my flex or griots orbitals. also their pads degrade exponentially faster when used for more than 2-3 panels. i think the only way to get good life out of these things is buy a 6 pack and use all 6 lightly and clean them right after. it sucks, i know. but so far it seems to be worth it since the pads dont fall apart as fast.

although i like their foam the least, megs softbuff 2.0 take a beating the best. im on my original set of burgundy yellow and black still.

i wish lake country would get their sh*t together. ive had countless pads and 2 backing plates fail on me in the last few months of not even hard use and am considering switching to rotary or surbuf pads.

Dan
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
How much pressure are you putting on the pads?

Toymachine2009
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Not a ton of pressure but some.. It`s just right when it hits at the right angle it immediately starts cutting through that blue foam..

tssdetailing
10-13-2010, 04:42 PM
im not buying anymore of these pads either. the blue foam is too soft and tears like nothing.

dont be too stoked on the hydrotechs though, their adhesive sucks and i need to sew the velcro backing to the foam after 1 use with my flex or griots orbitals. also their pads degrade exponentially faster when used for more than 2-3 panels. i think the only way to get good life out of these things is buy a 6 pack and use all 6 lightly and clean them right after. it sucks, i know. but so far it seems to be worth it since the pads dont fall apart as fast.

I dont` agree with that at all. I`ve only killed hydrotech`s if i roll over a sharp edge/corner (still pissed at the jeep hinge that shreaded 2 of mine). I`ve been successful with using 2-3 on an suv or large car too. But each person has their own experience, thats just my 2 cents.

Toymachine2009
10-13-2010, 05:17 PM
OKAY so I just got my LC CCS pads and the velcro goes to the edge of the pad so it will not tear like my others did. I will try them out tonight since I still have the other side of my car to do.

Below in the Pictures you can see how easy it is to cut through the Flat Pads but not the CCS. So like I said I will try the CCS tonight and see if its any better.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/377c6f71.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/toymachine2009/807f277b.jpg

tssdetailing
10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
i remember I sent those pads back. Those little cells hold compound, dry it out, then spit it all over the place in clumps.