PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Overspray

MatthewR87
10-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Greetings everyone,

About three months ago I bought a new mustang and made the mistake of getting it in black. Needless to say it is a ***** to keep clean and scratch free, but about a month ago I noticed that the entire driver`s side was covered in these very small, clear droplets that are only visible in direct sunlight; the car essentially looks very dusty. I wash the car every week with Meguiar`s shampoo and it does not remove the spots. They come off under my nail but leave a greasy/oily streak behind. I have no idea what this overspray is or how to remove it safely. I am hesitant to claybar the car because I do not want to spiderweb the clearcoat. Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Matt

JohnKleven
10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Is it possible that it`s tire dressing that has flung off the tires? That would be my guess if it`s greasy/oily.

John

MatthewR87
10-10-2010, 03:53 PM
That was my thought as well, especially since it is concentrated on the front and rear quarter panels, and with some on the left side of the hood. I haven`t personally applied tire dressing but I know the dealer did when I picked it up, and then the detailer also applied it when I had the car detailed. Is it possible to remove tire dressing easily from the paint? Since it appears greasy I tried using dishwashing liquid on a small section but without any luck. Thanks for the reply.

Matt

MatthewR87
10-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Also, generally speaking if it was paint overspray would the droplets come off under my nail and leave a streak behind? It seems to me that whatever these droplets are they haven`t really dried completely and they`ve been on the car for a month. Should I try some kind of acid wash?

Toymachine2009
10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Clay bar is the only thing I can really think of to take off over spray or contaminants. You can use a less aggressive clay bar and keep it well lubed.

Dubbin1
10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Just get a mild clay like the pinnacle stuff and you should be fine.

Innovative Detailing
10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Could what you could have be tree pitch? Droplets of tree sap or juice that weeps off the trees as the weather warms up. It will leave round clear deposits on your vehicles paint work. If allowed to dry these drops will become hard and crystalize and bond to the surface of your vehicle. When they are fresh you can usually remove them with your finger nail like you mentioned. I have been able to remove it with Stoner "Tarminator" or their "Zenit"......worth a try to chemically remove vs clay>polish>wax

MatthewR87
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I`ll give it a shot with one of the products you mentioned. However, do you think if it was tree pitch it would have hardened by now, since its been around a month?

MatthewR87
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I think the mystery is solved. After Eliminator`s suggestion that it may be tree pitch, I realized two important things: #1 There is a large linden tree growing in my front yard beside my driveway #2 linden trees are inhabited by aphids which produce a sticky excretion known as "honeydew". This is probably what is on my car. The question remains how to remove it. I will try to acquire some Tarminator, but since I live in Canuckistan it isn`t commercially available at any major store chains. I have also read on another website that using isopropyl alcohol can remove "honeydew". Is putting an alcohol soaked rag on my car paint a good idea?

Dubbin1
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I have also read on another website that using isopropyl alcohol can remove "honeydew". Is putting an alcohol soaked rag on my car paint a good idea?

People use it all the time to wipe down a car after polishing.

MatthewR87
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh okay thanks! I`m assuming that it will strip my paint sealant though? In exchange for taking the black car, Ford gave me some kind of paint protection for free...I think its just a wax that they put on.