PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please.

Pages : [1] 2

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey guys first time poster and I need some help. I recentley purchased a new car and thought I should add some wax for protection. So I applied some nxt 2.0 and wiped off with the microfiber. The next week I added a layer of meguiars caranuba plus wax and wiped off with microfiber. Both times I applied wax to the whole vehicle before wiping it off. I had a real hard time getting it off so I was applying hard pressure with the microfiber to wipe it off. It was my first time so I didn`t know to do it section at a time and thin layer so it would wipe off easier. Also I think the microfiber towels I used were not good(got a 12pk from pepboys). Now today I checked out my car in sunlight and its covered with minor swirls/scratches which made me very pissed. I was wondering would it be worth it to purchase the zaino package and do the whole procedure to the car. I know you can`t remove the swirls without a machine buffer and a abrasive polish(dont trust my self to do it). But will the zaino cover the swirl/scratches for a while? What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Toymachine2009
10-09-2010, 05:09 PM
It will help fill them to a certain degree I don`t think it will 100 percent cover them though.

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 05:38 PM
It will help fill them to a certain degree I don`t think it will 100 percent cover them though.

How long would they stay covered?

Toymachine2009
10-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Prob depends how often you wash your car and with what? Some car soaps are more concentrated than others and can strip waxes and whatever. Honestly polishing is not that hard with porter cable or griots machine. Rotorary is pretty tricky but it`s hard to really mess up with a PC or griots..

It`s all a matter of what polishes and pads you use to get the job done. And you learn little tricks along the way while polishing such as how much pressure to put down and how long to go over a spot..

It`s reslly not hard but it is time consuming but it is well worth it.

cptzippy
10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Deeneghy, are you sure these swirls were from what you did. If the dealer had the car any time at all they washed it, if they washed it (with rare expection) the swirled it. If you want something to cover it up for a bit, I recommend Prima Hydro. It`s a spray-on wax with some filling capability.

As far as microfiber`s go, always use the CD test. Get a blank CD and wipe the microfiber over the side where you`d record to it (the bottom). If it mars the CD, it will probably mar your paint.

Take some time on here reading posts and articles. Before long you won`t think about covering the swirls but buying a PC and correcting them; AND using cleaning, claying, waxing techniques so it minimizes it in the future.

akimel
10-09-2010, 05:52 PM
The swirls were probably there before you even applied the NXT! I seriously doubt you did anything to create more swirls. In any case, the only way to remove the swirls is to abrasively polish the car. Zaino won`t remove the swirls. Polishing will.

NXT will help to hide the swirls temporarily; but if you really want to get rid of them, then you have no choice but to invest in a dual action polisher, pads, and polishes. It`s a big investment.

NXT isn`t hard to remove, if you allow it to dry properly. It usually requires anywhere from 15-45 minutes to dry properly, depending on ambient conditions. It sounds like you attempted to remove NXT before it had hazed.

The most important thing for you to learn at this point is how to wash your car properly. Learn how to wash the car without creating more swirls before worrying about the swirls. Begin with the two-bucket wash. Check out this Mike Phillip`s video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372#).

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
The swirls were probably there before you even applied the NXT! I seriously doubt you did anything to create more swirls. In any case, the only way to remove the swirls is to abrasively polish the car. Zaino won`t remove the swirls. Polishing will.

NXT will help to hide the swirls temporarily; but if you really want to get rid of them, then you have no choice but to invest in a dual action polisher, pads, and polishes. It`s a big investment.

NXT isn`t hard to remove, if you allow it to dry properly. It usually requires anywhere from 15-45 minutes to dry properly, depending on ambient conditions. It sounds like you attempted to remove NXT before it had hazed.

The most important thing for you to learn at this point is how to wash your car properly. Learn how to wash the car without creating more swirls before worrying about the swirls. Begin with the two-bucket wash. Check out this Mike Phillip`s video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372#).

Im pretty sure I created the swirls. I noticed them the day after i applied the caranuba. Both times waited till I waxed the whole car had a smoke break before removing it(30-60 minutes atleast). I think your right though about it not drying fully. The wax turned white and I did the swipe test it smeared a little but I thought It was ready because I read 15 minutes should be enough. I think it was a combination of not fully drying and too thick of a layer. I used almost half the can. It was real hard to remove I had to use all my strength. If I would of waited longer do you think it would wiped of easier? Is there such thing as wax being hard to remove from being left on too long? The swirls are barley visible in sunlight though at night the car looks great. This sucks I cant belive I have to polish a brand new car I will never buy a black car again. Is there a wax kit and buffer you would recommend?

That`s where I learned to wash my car from that video. I use the two bucked method/Wool wash mit/and absorber to wash my car.

Toymachine2009
10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow half the can of wax iss wayy to much! Normally though applying wax won`t induce swirls

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow half the can of wax iss wayy to much! Normally though applying wax won`t induce swirls

Maybe its wax buildup? What causes swirls then washing/drying?

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Deeneghy, are you sure these swirls were from what you did. If the dealer had the car any time at all they washed it, if they washed it (with rare expection) the swirled it. If you want something to cover it up for a bit, I recommend Prima Hydro. It`s a spray-on wax with some filling capability.

As far as microfiber`s go, always use the CD test. Get a blank CD and wipe the microfiber over the side where you`d record to it (the bottom). If it mars the CD, it will probably mar your paint.

Take some time on here reading posts and articles. Before long you won`t think about covering the swirls but buying a PC and correcting them; AND using cleaning, claying, waxing techniques so it minimizes it in the future.

Cool thanks for the tip.

Toymachine2009
10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Maybe its wax buildup? What causes swirls then washing/drying?

Washing and Drying are a HUGE cause of swirls. I never really heard applying wax to cause swirls though. If your towels are dirty or your wash mit is dirty if your using dirty water hence the 2 bucket method One with soap and one with clean water. If maybe you take a towel to "Dust" a car off that could be pushing the dust around on your paint to cause swirls. Basically anything that touches your car MUST be SOFT and CLEAN of dirt. Also while washing keep surface well lubricated and make sure your wash mit is constantly wet. Otherwise dirty mits and towels and dry surfaces will more than likely induce swirls unless your clear coat is really hard.

Maybe when scrubbing hard to remove all the wax you put on maybe your towel was dirty? Maybe it was the tag if you left it on. Its a good idea to remove the tag on the MF towels so they dont scratch the paint as well. Was your applicator pad dirty?

I just got my Griots DA machine polished the swirls right out of my car like nothing! its really not that hard. I been detailing cars on and off for 2 years now. and this is the 2nd time I have ever used a polisher. My first machine I had was PC 7424 before all these new ones recently came out.

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Washing and Drying are a HUGE cause of swirls. I never really heard applying wax to cause swirls though. If your towels are dirty or your wash mit is dirty if your using dirty water hence the 2 bucket method One with soap and one with clean water. If maybe you take a towel to "Dust" a car off that could be pushing the dust around on your paint to cause swirls. Basically anything that touches your car MUST be SOFT and CLEAN of dirt. Also while washing keep surface well lubricated and make sure your wash mit is constantly wet. Otherwise dirty mits and towels and dry surfaces will more than likely induce swirls unless your clear coat is really hard.

I just got my Griots DA machine polished the swirls right out of my car like nothing! its really not that hard. I been detailing cars on and off for 2 years now. and this is the 2nd time I have ever used a polisher. My first machine I had was PC 7424 before all these new ones recently came out.

Cool I`m going to look into that Griots machine and maybe later I`ll try to post a pic of the swirls and see what polish you guys recommend thanks.

akimel
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Denneghy, every wax or sealant on the market needs to be applied very thin. If you used a half a bottle of NXT to wax your car, then you applied it incredibly too thick. No wonder you had a hard time removing it. Check out this article by Michael Stoops (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39350).

I do not know if you caused the swirls or not. I still doubt it, but of course it is possible. Black cars are notoriously difficult to maintain. If you are serious about purchasing a dual action polisher, pads, polishes, etc., I suggest that you call AutoGeek and speak to someone at length about it. It`s an expensive enterprise, and you need to understand all that is involved before investing your monies in it.

At this point I would recommend that you use a cleaner wax to clean up the wax buildup. Go down to the local auto store and pick up a bottle of ColorX and apply a thin coat according to the directions. ColorX will remove the wax residue, as well as other contaminants. You can then top it with a THIN coat of NXT. Allow NXT to dry thoroughly--depending on ambient conditions, this may mean 15-45 minutes. I guarantee you that your car will look better. Just remember to apply wax, any wax, THIN.

Denneghy
10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Denneghy, every wax or sealant on the market needs to be applied very thin. If you used a half a bottle of NXT to wax your car, then you applied it incredibly too thick. No wonder you had a hard time removing it. Check out this article by Michael Stoops (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39350).

I do not know if you caused the swirls or not. I still doubt it, but of course it is possible. Black cars are notoriously difficult to maintain. If you are serious about purchasing a dual action polisher, pads, polishes, etc., I suggest that you call AutoGeek and speak to someone at length about it. It`s an expensive enterprise, and you need to understand all that is involved before investing your monies in it.

At this point I would recommend that you use a cleaner wax to clean up the wax buildup. Go down to the local auto store and pick up a bottle of ColorX and apply a thin coat according to the directions. ColorX will remove the wax residue, as well as other contaminants. You can then top it with a THIN coat of NXT. Allow NXT to dry thoroughly--depending on ambient conditions, this may mean 15-45 minutes. I guarantee you that your car will look better. Just remember to apply wax, any wax, THIN.

Ok thanks for the article huge help. I definetly applied to much and that was the reason the wax wasnt dry after 45 minutes applying it. It was around 45 degrees that night also. I should have let it dry a little longer. I haven`t seen colorx at any store. But I`ll look again if I can`t find it I`ll have to order it.

akimel
10-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax should do the job for you. Everybody and their uncle seems to carry it. Clearly you don`t need a heavy-duty cleaner wax just to clean up the paint and remove the old wax residue.