PDA

View Full Version : Looking a Buying a DA Kit Today and Possibly some Wax, Sealant!

Pages : [1] 2

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
For many years I`ve wanted to purchase a Porter Cable DA so I think I`m going to do so possibly today a couple other things.

I`ve been looking over at Auto Geek (AG). I`m still trying to sell my 01 Pristine Mazda MX-5 Miata and getting a lot of interest, but since mine is in well above average condition I`m selling it a bit above the average, but I`m getting a lot of interest so I don`t think it will be long.

Back to the topic at hand. I`m looking at the Porter Cable Kit that AG is selling for $159 dollars it comes with some Lake Country Pads, 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2, 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze, but it does not come any pad cleaner or restorer.

What I`m really thinking I like is Klasse All-In-One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant...I just like what I`ve read about both and then some kind of quality, but relatively inexpensive if that`s possible Carnauba to put over the Klasse Sealant.

Is there somewhere for a better price than AG I could put together such a Kit under $200?

Do you all think I`d be just as happy with what comes with the kit at AG and possibly adding a Carnauba to the shopping cart... like perhaps Pinnacle Signature Series II Combo?

Is there anywhere I could get this that has excellent customer service and better prices than AG?

By the way I do not know what all the abbreviations like LSP and others mean so if do not mind either using them and then letting know what they mean or pointing somewhere that I can look up the definitions I be grateful. I just don`t know most of the Detailer speak yet.:xyxthumbs

Dan
10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
IMO, the kits never come with enough pads for the job and the polishes are not what I`d go with. Get the Griots from Tooltopia, then get at least six pads and some Megs 105/205. Klasse is a fantastic sealant, but its a bit tricky to use, make sure you read up on it. If you want something that is a sealant and looks like a carnauba, you can`t beat Blackfire Wet Diamond.

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 03:03 PM
i really never cared for kits and usually you won`t use everything that comes with them so why pay for it. buy the DA seperate, along with the pads and products so you know what you want and will use...

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 03:07 PM
IMO, the kits never come with enough pads for the job and the polishes are not what I`d go with. Get the Griots from Tooltopia, then get at least six pads and some Megs 105/205. Klasse is a fantastic sealant, but its a bit tricky to use, make sure you read up on it. If you want something that is a sealant and looks like a carnauba, you can`t beat Blackfire Wet Diamond.

i really never cared for kits and usually you won`t use everything that comes with them so why pay for it. buy the DA seperate, along with the pads and products so you know what you want and will use...

Thank you!

What pads would you go with I`ve read so many excellent comments about the Lake Country Pads do you think I should stick with them?

I appreciate you mentioning that Klasse is a bit tricky. This may sound a bit dumb, but I`d like to try some easy to use, but decently durable boutique brand(s) polish, sealant, wax that will give a nice deep wet look, hopefully that I purchase all for under $200 including the DA?

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Thank you!

What pads would you go with I`ve read so many excellent comments about the Lake Country Pads do you think I should stick with them?

I appreciate you mentioning that Klasse is a bit tricky. This may sound a bit dumb, but I`d like to try some easy to use, but decently durable boutique brand(s) polish, sealant, wax that will give a nice deep wet look, hopefully that I purchase all for under $200 including the DA?

post #2 ;)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/132011-need-advice-pads-how-many-griots-garage-6-da.html

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
post #2 ;)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/132011-need-advice-pads-how-many-griots-garage-6-da.html

Thanks that helped a lot!

How do you all think the following list would work out and is this polish and wax kit any good it the stuff I could find that provides everything for $200 or less after I utilize AG`s price match policy to get the GD DA for $97.99.

Griot`s Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher

* Choose a model : Standard

Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"

3 Orange Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

3 White Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

1 Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Poorboy`s World Polish & Wax Kit is this polish any good and will it last.

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks that helped a lot!

How do you all think the following list would work out and is this polish and wax kit any good it the stuff I could find that provides everything for $200 or less after I utilize AG`s price match policy to get the GD DA for $97.99.

Griot`s Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher

* Choose a model : Standard

Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate 5"

3 Orange Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

3 White Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

1 Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Poorboy`s World Polish & Wax Kit is this polish any good and will it last.

you could pick up the GG6 DA at AG and then pick up the rest of the stuff at DI as linked. while you`re at it, pick up a quart each of both m105 and m205 if you don`t have any polish/compound already...

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 06:52 PM
you could pick up the GG6 DA at AG and then pick up the rest of the stuff at DI as linked. while you`re at it, pick up a quart each of both m105 and m205 if you don`t have any polish/compound already...

Thats true I could, but unless I`ve done my math wrong if I follow your recommendation in the thread you sent to of "to start... (5.5" pads - three orange and white, one black) (4" pads - two orange and white)" that takes me over along with a 5.5" backing plate that takes me well over my $200 budget. Am I crazy...it would be the first time I`ve screwed up my math. Besides the Prices at AG are almost identical to those at DI unless I`ve made a mistake in my figuring.:(

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Thats true I could, but unless I`ve done my math wrong if I follow your recommendation in the thread you sent to of "to start... (5.5" pads - three orange and white, one black) (4" pads - two orange and white)" that takes me over along with a 5.5" backing plate that takes me well over my $200 budget. Am I crazy...it would be the first time I`ve screwed up my math. Besides the Prices at AG are almost identical to those at DI unless I`ve made a mistake in my figuring.:(

oops, i forgot your $200 budget. in anycase, DI has a 10% off coupon code "twitter10". the difference in the 5.5" flat pads with DI is that they have the recessed edging with the velcro trimmed in to fit the backing plate snug, where as the ones from AG are extended all the way to the edge (some have reported they aren`t getting the same pads pictured on the website) and a little thinner...

Lake Country Flat pads with no beveled edge? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26531-lake-country-flat-pads-no-beveled-edge.html#post328017)

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 09:16 PM
oops, i forgot your $200 budget. in anycase, DI has a 10% off coupon code "twitter10". the difference in the 5.5" flat pads with DI is that they have the recessed edging with the velcro trimmed in to fit the backing plate snug, where as the ones from AG are extended all the way to the edge (some have reported they aren`t getting the same pads pictured on the website)...

Do you think I could get buy with 1 of of the 3 different recommended pad colors instead of 3,3, 1 for a month then buy some more next month or am I too likely to need more than one each.

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Do you think I could get buy with 1 of of the 3 different recommended pad colors instead of 3,3, 1 for a month then buy some more next month or am I too likely to need more than one each.

if you are restricted to a few pads.. get three 5.5" white pads first (it`s the most common polishing pad), then the orange (light cutting) later as well as the black, blue/red...

edit: just noticed the 5.5" lake country flat pads are on sale right now...

Lake Country White Polishing Pad - 5.5 inch | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Country-M7/White-Polishing-Pad-P57/55-inch-S2/)

columbus day weekend sale 10/8-10/14

Tempted2Speed
10-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry if Im thread jacking, Ive just lately gotten into detailing and just now starting to buy various wax/sealant stuff, do you guys thinks it worth it to pay 200$ more and get thing like an orbital/pads. I dont really see myself needing it but I could be wrong....

BigAl3
10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry if Im thread jacking, Ive just lately gotten into detailing and just now starting to buy various wax/sealant stuff, do you guys thinks it worth it to pay 200$ more and get thing like an orbital/pads. I dont really see myself needing it but I could be wrong....

it should be mandatory that every member on here owns at least one DA or gets banned. no seriously, buy one and you`ll regret that you didn`t purchase one alot sooner (it will out perform your hands by a long shot and never get tired). i wouldn`t be without one!

TAllyn
10-08-2010, 11:35 PM

Only you can determine for yourself whether easier, faster, better is worth $200 to you!

Now...I don`t meant to be a Jerk, but it would be better to start your own thread rather than..."Sorry if I`m thread jacking!" No need to apologize I`ve done it too.

I think I`d like to go a head and take a chance on buying from AG especially if I can get by with using 6.5" pads as I`ve decided I`d like to buy the following kit. Late this afternoon I settled on buying all the Poorboy`s products that are in it before find the kit and the pads are Lake Country CCS, but they are 6.5" pads here`s the link to the kit click the following to see it The Poorboy’s Polish & Protect Kit removes moderate imperfections from your vehicle’s finish, seal it under a glossy coat of carnauba, and then (http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit1.html). Is there any good reason why I absolutely should not start with the 6.5" pads and buy 5.5" and smaller plates and pads perhaps next month?

Bunky
10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
You do not need to worry about AG customer service. They will be there if you have any issues. There are always sales going on at various sellers. It depends on if you want to pay as little as possible or just pay a fair price.

Your kit does not have enough pads. I do not know how much you plan to use the products but I would opt for the DA of choice, get the 6 pack pad bundle (3 orange or white, 3 black), and skip any pad conditioners, cleaners, etc. What kinds of paint correction will you be doing? Smaller pads (5.5) will correct faster than 6.5-in but you can get the results ..just may take a little longer.